When do I promote

I did a challenge playthrough (on my own time not posted anywhere) where I was rotating through all the characters and deploying the lowest level units in my army in every chapter and not promoting anyone till level 20, and I literally had a few tier 1 units (maybe it was only marisa now that I think about it) in the final chapter and they could hold their weight about the enemies, FE8 is not a game you could really screw up in that regard. Though IIRC Erika (who was the like 20/12 or something because she was deployed in every map, I went her route) was the only person who could survive a round against Lyon though.

Even in post game you can buy stat boosters so the lack of levels for characters matter a lot less.

Well I made it to Chapter 14 Eph route & got both Boulder & Lute to 20.

Now slightly unrelated but which class do I promote them to? (Artur is 20/1 Sage for Ivaldi & I promoted Tasha to Valk at Lv 15 for more CON)

Lv 20 Boulder has

10 MAG, 15 SKL & 15 SPD,

Lv20 Lute

18MAG, 19SKL & 16SPD

A Sage Moulder can wield Elfire without AS loss & eventually the CON for Excalibur, but Slayer helps his lower MAG with those few monster chapters left. MK not only give Lute MOV but CON as well, & higher caps only matter for postgame-CC; only concern is the next chapter is desert stage

Also, when are body rings purchasable?