Are the Fire Emblem games on Etsy good?

EricaofRenais

So I was just on Etsy and saw that some one is selling fan made English translations of Binding Blade, Mystery of the Emblem, Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 and I was wondering if any one has bought them and if they work. I am interested in Binding Blade, but I would like more info on these so if anyone has any info please share.

they are basically ROMs patched with the translation patch and then loaded onto a cartridge.

they are as good as the quality of the translations, while i'm 99% sure the translators don't profit at all from the guy's sales.

EDIT: so from what i can tell, 8bitevolutiongaming (the seller of the FE6 fan-translated cartridge) frequently loads fan translations and ROMhacks onto cartridge and sells them for $40 apiece. i doubt it costs anywhere near $40 for procurement of raw materials and for the labor of loading the ROM to the cartridge. i'm also fairly confident that the creators of these translations or ROMhacks see none of that money.

don't support this guy, this is a shady business practice of questionable legality. it's a real shame that his account has something like 200 instances of positive feedback.

Edited by dondon151

Thanks. I was just wondering, I don't use hacks and I have a very slow laptop which I can't use for gaming and I share the computer at home, so computer gaming is out. Looks like I really need to learn Japanese, so I can play the originals.

I'm pretty sure selling those translations are specifically forbidden in the readme of the patches.

Sounds like what the game stands at the shady Mexican swap meets do in Vegas.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Etsy isn't the place for games anyway...I think it's just for artsy crafty stuff.

But yeah, what this guy is doing is wrong. It would be different if he was paying the translators/romhackers. I hope he gets his account taken down...

Etsy isn't the place for games anyway...I think it's just for artsy crafty stuff.

But yeah, what this guy is doing is wrong. It would be different if he was paying the translators/romhackers. I hope he gets his account taken down...

On that note though, some shops on there sell some kick ass fire emblem memoribilia.

Stuff like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/194219345/fire-emblem-awakening-marth-mask?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=fire+emblem&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

This: https://www.etsy.com/listing/152745469/fire-emblem-awakening?ref=sr_gallery_15&ga_search_query=fire+emblem+awakening&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

and this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/185269523/fire-emblem-awakening-falchion-pre?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=fire+emblem&ga_page=1&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

I know I'm a nerd lol.

Edited by TacoMan42

I'm pretty sure my friend got me my FE decal from that place. Gold decal on red 3DS is pretty kickass, I gotta say.

Thanks. I was just wondering, I don't use hacks and I have a very slow laptop which I can't use for gaming and I share the computer at home, so computer gaming is out. Looks like I really need to learn Japanese, so I can play the originals.

You could but learning Japanese is not for everyone. Even I have my fair share of difficulties learning it.

You can try this guide that's just on GameFAQs should the whole "learning Japanese" thing turns out not for you. I'm not sure how accurate it is since I haven't touched FE6 yet but it might be better than nothing.

oh my fucking god, this guy has the gall to sell a goddamn earthbound romhack for AUD $112? never mind the general shadiness of selling romhacks like this, this pricing is just fucking stupid

If there was a like button here, I would like the crap outta that.

oh my fucking god, this guy has the gall to sell a goddamn earthbound romhack for AUD $112? never mind the general shadiness of selling romhacks like this, this pricing is just fucking stupid

Gotta hand it to the man for trying. He obviously knows supply-and-demand for Earthbound. That supply-and-demand will jack it up to exorbitant amounts of moolah.

Gotta hand it to the man for trying. He obviously knows supply-and-demand for Earthbound. That supply-and-demand will jack it up to exorbitant amounts of moolah.

clearly his information's pretty damn outdated. there'll always be a cut-throat market for snes hard-copies, sure, but with the virtual console version so readily available there's no way in hell the situation's still bad enough that people'll part with this much for a fucking reproduction

i admit i was a bit disappointed when i saw that this guy's fe6 repros seem to insist on continuing to disseminate the old patch, but then again, at least this way he isn't selling something that's partially my work :P

oh, and while i'm here: what the fuck is this

Edited by bookofholsety

clearly his information's pretty damn outdated. there'll always be a cut-throat market for snes hard-copies, sure, but with the virtual console version so readily available there's no way in hell the situation's still bad enough that people'll part with this much for a fucking reproduction

i admit i was a bit disappointed when i saw that this guy's fe6 repros seem to insist on continuing to disseminate the old patch, but then again, at least this way he isn't selling something that's partially my work :P

There's still some people like me that still prefer the physical copies of games. (I come from an age where physical copies and renting were still a big thing, I would say). I'm making a very gradual shift to getting digital if it's cheaper. Let's put it into perspective: both Digital Devil Sagas on PSN with the 10% off discount that expired on the 26th of this month equaled to about the same as having a physical copy of the first Digital Devil Saga, a PS2 game, brand new. That was about $15.

There are some people willing to pay over $100 for FE10's physical or close to that amount.

Some people get very desperate even for a reproduction copy. You just got to tell them that it's not worth it.

By the way: I was kind of jokey with my post earlier. As I wrote it, I was laughing and shaking my head at how much he was charging.

Mario Kart Fighter is probably a ROM of either a recent Mario Kart or an entirely different game. Have you see the people who review or do videos of bootleg games? It might be something like this (around 1:50, because I'm still figuring out this site's coding >___> ).

Edited by Dual Dragons

Judging by the reviews of his other products looks like a fanmade ROM he made on his own.

There's still some people like me that still prefer the physical copies of games. (I come from an age where physical copies and renting were still a big thing, I would say). I'm making a very gradual shift to getting digital if it's cheaper. Let's put it into perspective: both Digital Devil Sagas on PSN with the 10% off discount that expired on the 26th of this month equaled to about the same as having a physical copy of the first Digital Devil Saga, a PS2 game, brand new. That was about $15.

There are some people willing to pay over $100 for FE10's physical or close to that amount.

Some people get very desperate even for a reproduction copy. You just got to tell them that it's not worth it.

I would be in this category as well. I still buy all my games (back to the GCN) physical unless they are indie or VC titles. I only pay up to $100 if it is an orginal print all inclusive (meaning the disc, cover art, case, and manual). In most cases though you can get decent used copies with everything of GCN/Wii games for around $20 which is what I normally do. Exceptions to this rule of course are the rare highly acclaimed titles like Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem PoR/RD, Kirby Return to Dreamland to name a few. My current goal is to get an NES but more for the novelty of it more than anything else hell I could just get the controller and system and be satisfied because I have NES games still on my Wii U VC.

NES and SNES cartridges are not too bad because they were mass produced and unless you're trying to get something like Chrono Trigger, EVO, or Earthbound then they are pretty cheap. N64 cartridges are hit or miss most titles easy to find for cheap but there's a good amount that go for high prices like Banjo Kazzoie and Ogre 64.

My thing is that I tend to collect what I can play because that's the whole point of it really. Sealed games have alot of value and are nice to have but if you can't play it then its kinda like whats the point? I find it helps me having a focus so for me its Fire Emblem, Zelda, and Metroid as my top three favorite franchises and I just accept the fact that there are just some things I'm never going to get like a SNES cartridge of FE4 or 5 and as cool as they are since I can't play them (no SNES and can't read Japanese) I wouldn't want to drop dough on them in the first place.

Judging by the reviews of his other products looks like a fanmade ROM he made on his own.

It's not a fanmade rom, but rather a pirate game in the vein of Final Fantasy VII for NES.

@OP: Don't bother with reproductions. Just get a flashcart if you really want to play hacks or translations on actual hardware.

It's not a fanmade rom, but rather a pirate game in the vein of Final Fantasy VII for NES.

@OP: Don't bother with reproductions. Just get a flashcart if you really want to play hacks or translations on actual hardware.

Just outta curiosity what in the actual hell could this be a pirate of?

have to admit, that's a bit disappointing compared to some of the more ridiculous possibilities which crossed my mind :P

fortunately, this guy's stock has got plenty of other ridiculous bootleg shit to ogle. here's some of my favourites from poking around last night:

tumblr_inline_nize1ij3DT1qgv466.pngtumblr_inline_nizemv80NV1qgv466.pngtumblr_inline_nizdx9b8QN1qgv466.png

and for good measure, he's even selling a translation of some of the satellaview zelda games for an even higher price than the earthbound mod! wow. wow