Question about glitches and their application.

feplus

From what I understand, while the mine glitch has been known since forever, people have uncovered more major glitches fairly recently. The list of major glitches is as follows:

1. Mine glitch; control enemy units for a turn by resetting when an enemy is burned by a mine tile.

2. Torch glitch; control enemy units for a turn by resetting when an enemy ends their turn on a torched tile (includes both torches and torch staves).

3. Lava tile glitch; control enemy units for a turn by resetting when an enemy ends their turn on a lava tile (IIRC, only present on Eliwood's post-promotion map).

Two questions. First, is this list comprehensive? Second, do the latter two glitches open up new possibilities for casual play? For example, I recall trying to get Nergal's Ereshkigal tome using the mine glitch, but couldn't find a way.

No Merlinus and no way to have Nergal trade his tome to a unit who drops items. If there was a way to open up his door early, it'd be doable. I'm curious if those other glitches (or any I've overlooked) open up new possibilities.

Edited by feplus

Yeah, this is all the same glitch.

I vaguely recall it working with snags as well, but that might be wrong. I can't recall there being any other known glitches.

What do you mean by "casual applications"? Obviously they allow the player to control enemies for a turn, which is useful anywhere. Do you mean special stuff like getting Vaida's Spear?

What do you mean by "casual applications"? Obviously they allow the player to control enemies for a turn, which is useful anywhere. Do you mean special stuff like getting Vaida's Spear?

Along those lines. Vaida's spear is a lot of fun to mess around with. Ereshkigal would be neat on the dragon and Link Arena, too. I'm sure there are other possibilities.

I mean, I highly doubt there are any special applications that aren't already heard of. You asked about the latter two being used, but anywhere those can be used, a mine can also be used for the same effect, and as you noted, the mine glitch has been known forever.

There is the "two units on the same tile" glitch that gets used by the TAS, but there is a 1-frame window to get it to work in (although you could get around that by retrying until it works). Also, there is the "keep from having to execute tutorial actions" glitch Where you can get out of having to move units who you would otherwise be forced to move by tricking the game into accepting the input of the b button by making the button press appear to be part of the soft reset combo. (simply hold A, L, R, and either start or select to keep the soft reset from actually occurring, then press B.) Both of these glitches have limited casual use, although both are used in the TAS, and i could see both being useful in an LTC context. More description here: http://tasvideos.org/3266S.html

Edited by sirmola