The medallion, how does it work?

Dragoncat

Sooo in PoR we're told that this medallion has a dark god in it. If you touch it and you don't have enough order/serenity/etc, you go berserk. Greil touched it and bad things happened. Mist was able to handle it just fine, so was Elena (before the bad things happened and she ended up dead...) and the herons.

This is self explanatory until RD, when we find out that it's Yune in there. She's called the dark god because of her temper tantrum that almost drowned the whole world. But she's not evil. She's the counterpart to Ashera, who's worshipped as the divine protector of the world. Yet Ashera turns mostly everyone into statues and will start over with all creation, meaning everyone dies, unless 3 groups of heroes can prove themselves worthy. Neither goddess is either good or evil.

My question is, if the goddess sealed in the medallion wasn't evil, then why would touching it have such a bad affect? How does it even work if the goddesses aren't currently conscious anyway?

I believe it's because Yune being the goddess of Chaos would bloister chaotic engeries in whoevers touching the madallion. Thus, whoever touches it becomes filled with Yune's chaos energy and becomes an embodiment of chaos. those with enough order energy like Mist and Elena however can counteract the chaos energy.

Because pure, uncontrolled chaos is bad? Chaos is disorder. Try to imagine all of your thoughts, your sight, your smell, every aspect of your senses and body are just so overwhelmed with conflicting signals that the mind can't handle it and tries to make it stop. But you can't stop it because you can't control chaos. Your body moves even though you don't want it, because you can't control it. Your mind sees things that aren't there, your mind doesn't see things that are there.

I guess if the effect wouldn't leave eventually, you would just die from overstimulation.

Yune is not called the Dark God because of her action alone. Dheginsea spread that in order to protect the continent from ever going to war again. If the continent fell to war before 1000 years have passed as they promised, Ashera would pass her judgment down on them. Dheginsea was trying to avoid that despite knowing Yune is not a Dark God or even an evil being. Yune is not the "Dark God" in truth.

Yune is the embodiment of chaos itself as much as Ashera is the embodiment of order. As you stated, not many have a balance of order and chaos (herons are specifically known for having order and chaos in near balance; Reyson trying to sing the Dirge of Ruin back in PoR would have warped his very existence of this). Elena and Mist are very special cases for unexplained reasons. It could be said that touching the medallion magnifies one's innate chaos until the person can't handle it anymore and goes completely mad.

Just because you're unconscious doesn't mean your influence can't affect things is my reasoning for Yune's chaos on the medallion.

She's still a chaos god, even if she's not evil. Since she was sleeping, her powers (of chaos) would seep into whoever touched her prison without enough balance to counteract the chaos she brings.

That's my guess

Yeah, that makes sense.

Yune is not called the Dark God because of her action alone. Dheginsea spread that in order to protect the continent from ever going to war again. If the continent fell to war before 1000 years have passed as they promised, Ashera would pass her judgment down on them. Dheginsea was trying to avoid that despite knowing Yune is not a Dark God or even an evil being. Yune is not the "Dark God" in truth.

And I had completely forgotten about that point. The one with Deghinsea. I remembered the "no big wars in 1000 years".

Food for thought: What if it was reversed and Ashera was in the medallion and somebody without enough chaos touched it? What happens then...

I guess if the effect wouldn't leave eventually, you would just die from overstimulation.

The effect has to leave eventually. Greil is an example. He killed Elena, then snapped out of it and saw what he'd done. I have a feeling if Ike and Mist weren't there he would've been so overwhelmed with guilt and grief that he would be suicidal. But that's another topic...

Edited by Dragoncat

Food for thought: What if it was reversed and Ashera was in the medallion and somebody without enough chaos touched it? What happens then...

Maybe something like what's supposed to happen if you touch Azelf. As in, you become so orderly and restricted that you can't move, rather than simply losing will to do anything.

Personally, I'd settle for "no one can handle contact with the raw power of a god". Ashnard possessed unnatural strength and was batshit insane already, so there was really nowhere to go but escalation for him. It also helped that he was wearing blessed armor, too.

Edited by Delphi Sage

Personally, I'd settle for "no one can handle contact with the raw power of a god". Ashnard possessed unnatural strength and was batshit insane already, so there was really nowhere to go but escalation for him. It also helped that he was wearing blessed armor, too.

I thought about mentioning him in the OP. But he only touches it in hard mode...yeah, batshit insane describes him pretty well xD

They had to make it "only a few special people can handle contact with the raw power of a god", story reasons, but yep.

I thought about mentioning him in the OP. But he only touches it in hard mode...yeah, batshit insane describes him pretty well xD

They had to make it "only a few special people can handle contact with the raw power of a god", story reasons, but yep.

And JP!Maniac, but no real difference. The end result isn't much different, as far as I know.

And by that logic, wouldn't anyone who touched Yune in Part IV be able to handle that power?

Especially when Ike starts hosting her it seems like a contradiction.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

And by that logic, wouldn't anyone who touched Yune in Part IV be able to handle that power?

Especially when Ike starts hosting her it seems like a contradiction.

Maybe since she's awake she can pick and choose who can handle her power?

Maybe since she's awake she can pick and choose who can handle her power?

Makes sense, but she's an imperfect being easily swayed by emotion. Her desire to bring Ashera to justice could have send her power out of control and the protagonist hosting her (either Ike or Micaiah) crazy if they couldn't handle it. Micaiah is never stated, but Ike is spelled out to be unable to handle it. Edited by Glaceon Mage

Micaiah's pretty calm and serene. I'd say she has enough order, but idk. Ike would go batshit crazy though, no doubt about it.

Yune did have some time to think things through, so...I guess by that time she was like "Okay, tone things down, don't want him running around beating his allies into piles of blood and bones." She might have reduced her powers, but left enough so that he could defeat Ashera.

Micaiah's pretty calm and serene. I'd say she has enough order, but idk. Ike would go batshit crazy though, no doubt about it.

Yune did have some time to think things through, so...I guess by that time she was like "Okay, tone things down, don't want him running around beating his allies into piles of blood and bones." She might have reduced her powers, but left enough so that he could defeat Ashera.

Ike is stated to be suceptible to chaotic power in the same way Griel was. It's why Greil slapped his hand away and scolded him when Mist was showing him the medallion after Elena died. Ike just assumed that it was Mist's alone, until the full story was told to him in FE9.

Yeah, I guess that is a reasonable explanation.

To be honest, I kind of wished I could have sided with Ashera in FE10... <.<;;

Then again I always align more towards "Law" than "Chaos" anyway.

I'm pretty sure in Ike's case at the end of Radiant Dawn he was able to harness Yune's power primarily because of Ragnell. You see the energy clearly focus on the blade, after all, and it's certainly some sort of regalia. I don't recall all the details about the sword itself but I'm willing to bet it was why, logically speaking.

...Of course, we all know it was actually just for the sake of a deus ex machina moment where Ike could do something to prove he was "still relevant." I think I'd have liked FE10 more if they didn't try to force the Griel mercs into the plot for marketing reasons, but maybe that's just me. That ending was totally supposed to be Micaiah's moment.

...Of course, we all know it was actually just for the sake of a deus ex machina moment where Ike could do something to prove he was "still relevant." I think I'd have liked FE10 more if they didn't try to force the Griel mercs into the plot for marketing reasons, but maybe that's just me. That ending was totally supposed to be Micaiah's moment.

Kinda agreed. Part 3 needs to be there, if they took it out it would do more harm than good. I don't feel the GMs were forced into the plot. But yeah, Ike had his fun. He got to kill an evil king and save Crimea. As much as I like him, I agree with your last statement. Seriously IS, how hard would it be to give Micaiah a blessed light tome or something, let Yune do goddess stuff on both her and Ike, and allow either one to do the final blow on Ashera?

I mean RD was intended to be Part 2 of the story that started in PoR, not a standalone story about Micaiah, so they weren't forced.

I agree though Micaiah gets kind of screwed over by being totally reduced to Yune's vessel.

I kinda feel like Micaiah was more of a lord in FE10 than Ike was. He was just... There. Heck, plot wise, Ranulf was more relevant than Ike. Forcing him to kill Ashera was kinda forced too. Why can't Micaiah, who was hosting her the whole time, defeat Ashera using Yune's power? And she really should have had more dialogue in part IV.

And I really wish Yune gave Micaiah a personal tome before IVE1. An unlimited use thing stronger than Rexaura, maybe 18 mgt like Ragnell. Would improve her damage on auras, anyway.

Micaiah's pretty calm and serene. I'd say she has enough order, but idk.

[spoiler=SPOILER]Micaiah is branded with heron blood. She can touch the Emblem without losing control.

Edited by Yojinbo

I kinda feel like Micaiah was more of a lord in FE10 than Ike was. He was just... There. Heck, plot wise, Ranulf was more relevant than Ike. Forcing him to kill Ashera was kinda forced too. Why can't Micaiah, who was hosting her the whole time, defeat Ashera using Yune's power? And she really should have had more dialogue in part IV.

My guess is that Ragnell was something Yune could channel into (since this is explicitly in the animation), as a callback to how Altina beat Yune with Ragnell and Alondite. So I guess she could have also given her power to your Alondite wielder.

And I really wish Yune gave Micaiah a personal tome before IVE1. An unlimited use thing stronger than Rexaura, maybe 18 mgt like Ragnell. Would improve her damage on auras, anyway.
Lehran had no problem owning auras with Rexaura (or Balberith). If Micaiah wants to have some special role in defeating Ashera, she has to earn it!
Edited by Radiant head

Is it ever stated heron branded inherit that ability?

[spoiler=MORE SPOILERS]Micaiah is a descendant of Lehran and Altina and the legitimate Empress of her generation. As such she's the only person in Tellius who can actually release Yune through the galdr of release. It's never explicitly stated that she can hold the medallion in her hands but through her inheritance there really isn't any other way. The only people known to be able to hold it in their hands are Elena, Mist and the Heron Royals.

The effect has to leave eventually. Greil is an example. He killed Elena, then snapped out of it and saw what he'd done. I have a feeling if Ike and Mist weren't there he would've been so overwhelmed with guilt and grief that he would be suicidal. But that's another topic...

Nah, Greil only snapped out of it because Elena took the medallion from him, unfortunately getting killed by him in the process.

Volke

It was over in an instant. Your mother grabbed the medallion from his hand and stepped away from him...They say she smiled as he pulled his sword from her breast and forgave him as her life's blood spilled into the street.

Lehran had no problem owning auras with Rexaura (or Balberith). If Micaiah wants to have some special role in defeating Ashera, she has to earn it!

f5PqNhV.jpg

Something that grants +5 Spd, 18 mgt like Ragnell... would be welcome, she did 7 damage/attack >~>

On easy.

Yeah, a problem.