Thoughts on Genealogy's Timeline

Zasplach

Just replaying the game again, and despite several times through the game, I still like to read through the dialogue. I know I'm odd. But that really wasn't the point, I was just reading the conversation between Cuan and Ehlyn, the one where they talk about the Gae Bolg and it just seemed odd to me about how they talked about the "cursed" legend of that weapon.

The developer's notes talk about Noba's and Dain's conflict, but what I was more struck by is the way they talk about the distance of time between the first and the second holy war. The time bridge is only about 100 years, from war one to war two, King Azmir is St Heim's son and only the second king of Grandbell.

Am I the only one who feels that the game really wants the time difference to be more than just a century between the two events?

with the people oppressed by galle/lopt in such a cruel & horrifying way, it's obvious from bits here and there that jugdral still hasn't fully recovered from the consequences even in a hundred years. the people therefore still hold the "miracle of darna" and salvation of jugdral in high regard, along with anything (Gungnir & Gaebolg) and anyone directly associated with it (Dain & Noba,) while reserving persecution for the descendants and followers of galle (Spirit Forest & Yied Desert.)

travel and communication on the continent are limited to magic, horseback and seaships. it's by no means caveman primitive, but news is still disseminated and colored by human messengers and oral history. which is, in my opinion, one of the better tools for creating (living) legends during or after an oppressive regime even in a short/long period of time. i use short/long here because i'm not entirely sure what the lifespan expectancy of a commoner would even be in jugdral, considering the history states the culling of thousands of young men and women during the empire's reign.

so yes, it feels weird to us that they would attach a legendary curse to a weapon and family in only 2~3 (or fewer) generations, but i think the past & present harsh circumstances fostered the people's ability to believe it that way while still treating it as ancient history at the same time.

^interesting point, hadn't thought about it like that.

I suppose the lifespan of commoners could be pretty short, shaping how the nobility sees the world. Hell the lifespan in feudal Western Europe was only about 40 for a while.

If you compare the First Holy War of FE4 to the First World War [which began exactly 101 years ago], you'll see that a lot can happen within 100 years. It's pretty significant.

Yeah, and Marth's game world goes the same way. Anri only lived about a century before Marth's time-- his brother was Marth's great-grandfather. It's entirely possible that a long-lived person would've been born in Anri's reign and lived to see Marth proclaimed king even though Anri's era feels like ancient history.

If you compare the First Holy War of FE4 to the First World War [which began exactly 101 years ago], you'll see that a lot can happen within 100 years. It's pretty significant.

yes, primarily the advent of quickly processable photography and media embedded within armies which allow physically provable documentation of actual events. i'm going out on a limb here and assuming photography wasn't invented in jugdral during this time but feel free to correct me if there's evidence of this anywhere.

being able to read about an event's timeline with physical evidence attached makes people more likely to treat it as documented history instead of a legendary folktale recalled from memory and word of mouth / church teachings

Edited by buttmuncher.ops