Preorders and Moving

MoonlitSonata

So I have no idea which forum to post this in so I'll post it here!

I'm a new military wife, and with FEif somewhere around the corner and the prospects of a FEif themed 3DS being relatively high, I want to get a preorder in before it has a chance to sell out. However, I have no idea where I and my husband will be by the time of the US release of FEif, as he is currently in training and is temporarily on staff duty as he heals a broken bone he obtained during one of his training exercises. Currently we're looking at another 6-8 months where we're currently stationed although that can easily be changed at a moments' notice, since the second school he has to attend on this base has a extremely high failure rate, thus meaning he would likely have to repeat it.

Where I'm going with this is that I have no idea where in the world I will be by the time of FEif's release and would like to know what I should do about placing a preorder. I'd like to be able to do as I've done with previous instore preorders where I place $5 down and then pay the rest up front closer to release, mostly due to financial reasons. I'd also like to be able to pick up in a physical store, since if I'm still at the apartment complex I'm currently in I've noticed the mail people don't always treat packages "properly."

Any advice on what to do SF?

Is there a game shop near you? See if they're able to suggest something. The other option is to ship it to someone in either of your families, and have them send it to whereever you wind up.

I don't have experience with moving around a lot and ordering stuff. So with limited knowledge...

I would first ask if the physical store could provide options for someone who moves around a lot. Also, if you put down the preorder money for a place like GameStop, you can always get the money back as long as you have the receipt. And... I think they might keep it as credit if you never get it back. That's what happened to me once when I got a different game, though I went back to the store I originally put the preorder money on.

Another option I could suggest is to have a family member/friend pick it up for you and possibly ship it to you or you pick it up eventually (if you happen to live in the same area as them).

It's those or go with online purchasing. I've personally never had bad shipments but if you have good shipment service (insurance) or Amazon, I would think they should refund you for defunct merchandise or get you a new copy.

Partially ninja'd by eclipse

There's a Gamestop/EB Games nearby. Never really thought of asking them because I didn't know if they'd be able to transfer preorders to other stores once they're made. I thought about the second option, although that would mean I wouldn't be able to play launch day, which is a huge thing to me. Both our families live about 12 hours away from our current base and 8-9ish hours from the base we will be going to.

The bad shipping comes from careless mailmen in my area. Somehow they shoved a summer dress into our letter mailbox but a single lightweight tshirt went to the office mail room? I was confused by that and slightly irritated since they could have damaged the dress with the haphazard shoving into the mailbox. There was also a gamecube memory card shoved into our mailbox although that one got a pass due to the fact that it was actually mailed in one of those envelopes with bubblewrap inside them.

With your living arrangements, I don't think you have many other options (except if you go the "ship to family" route, use FedEx/UPS). Here's hoping that you stay where you are, so that you can pick up everything!

Indeedys! I like where we're living now too, it's nice and warm here for the majority of the year and most of the stores I frequented before moving are available within 15 minutes drive.

If I were to preorder online does anyone know if I could change the shipping address between the preorder and official release? That's about the only question I have left.

Indeedys! I like where we're living now too, it's nice and warm here for the majority of the year and most of the stores I frequented before moving are available within 15 minutes drive.

If I were to preorder online does anyone know if I could change the shipping address between the preorder and official release? That's about the only question I have left.

I'm not certain, which is why I suggested having someone else get it to you. If this part is messed up, you won't see your system for a LONG while.

besides getting a third party to work on it, have you considered seeing if you can place the preorder with your local BX? i never tried it, but if there's any store you've got a really good shot at being near regardless of the future (that would understand your position) i'd figure it would be them.

EDIT: what i mean, to followup, would be to place the preorder at your local BX and see if you can have the shipping transferred to your new place when your husband gets new PCS orders.

Edited by Integrity