Marriage

Marriage  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this game will have marriage?

2. 2. Do you want this game to have marriage?

3. 3. How should it be handled?

Just come and discuss whether or not there should be marriage in this game as respectfully as possible. This is not a thread to discuss whether or not children or homosexual pairings should be available, as there are already threads for that, but to discuss the marriage system in general.

If there is already a thread like this, it seems to have faded from use for the time being, and I apologize for the duplicate.

If not, here we go!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like it to be endgame paired endings only (S-supports work just fine too, though), and to be handled pretty much the same way it was in the GBA games, where only some people could get them. That way we don't get a thousand half hearted "Guh I'm Lon'qu and I hate women oh hey woman thanks for helping me be around women now we're married" supports but can still ship people.

The exception is Kamui. I think Kamui should be able to have a max-rank support with everyone, regardless of gender, and have a paired ending that isn't necessarily marriage with everyone. That way you can still ship your main character with whoever and make sure everyone can have at least one valid support partner.

Edited by Oshimos

I sure hope not. It was one of the selling points of Awakening, but for me it was one of the main things that made me dislike the game.

Yeah, I'm good for some marriage between some character but not all. As for how they integrate into the game, either end-game or S-supports work fine by me.

I think there will be marriage since it was in Awakening, but I doubt you'll end up with kids this time.

I would like this. I don't want time travel, and I'm like, ninety percent sure there won't be a generation jump a la FE4.

It was pretty popular along with pair up in Awakening so I'm guessing it'll return.

Fingers crossed! I still want to marry Marx, so he better not be my brother. (But it IS Fire Emblem... I jest.)

I'd like it to be endgame paired endings only (S-supports work just fine too, though), and to be handled pretty much the same way it was in the GBA games, where only some people could get them. That way we don't get a thousand half hearted "Guh I'm Lon'qu and I hate women oh hey woman thanks for helping me be around women now we're married" supports but can still ship people.

The exception is Kamui. I think Kamui should be able to have a max-rank support with everyone, regardless of gender, and have a paired ending that isn't necessarily marriage with everyone. That way you can still ship your main character with whoever and make sure everyone can have at least one valid support partner.

I like this idea. I'm inclined to agree, since I want to be able to marry any of the dudes whimsy pulls me to on that particular play through.

I sure hope not. It was one of the selling points of Awakening, but for me it was one of the main things that made me dislike the game.

I started with Sacred Stones, then Radiant Dawn, then Awakening, but Awakening is my personal favorite, though I will concede the marriage is poorly handled and the story was lacking.

Yeah, I'm good for some marriage between some character but not all. As for how they integrate into the game, either end-game or S-supports work fine by me.

I'm pretty split over those two, as well.

I don't know if this game will have marriage, but I do want it via getting a S-Rank Support with someone.

It was simple and practical enough, I suppose. But I'm pretty indifferent to how I marry Marx as long as I can.

MODEDIT: yo don't doublepost

Edited by Integrity

I started with Sacred Stones, then Radiant Dawn, then Awakening, but Awakening is my personal favorite, though I will concede the marriage is poorly handled and the story was lacking.

Well I can certainly see why you enjoy Awakening if you started with Sacred Stones, the two games have some things in common after all. Awakening is a decent game, but one of the worst the series has to offer. The actual strategy component of the game is at an all time low and the map and unit diversity is extremely lackluster.

I hope the new game will be something that will please veterans of the series a bit more and not focus mainly on newcomers.

Well I can certainly see why you enjoy Awakening if you started with Sacred Stones, the two games have some things in common after all. Awakening is a decent game, but one of the worst the series has to offer. The actual strategy component of the game is at an all time low and the map and unit diversity is extremely lackluster.

I hope the new game will be something that will please veterans of the series a bit more and not focus mainly on newcomers.

That would be nice. After Awakening, I tried my hand at Binding Blade. Did NOT like that one. I don't think I even finished it, though your Awakening critique is concise.

This sums up my feelings on the matter. No forced romances/relationships please. People should talk to those it makes the most sense to.

It'd also be pretty cool if the Avatar had a shared ending with all characters.

This sums up my feelings on the matter. No forced romances/relationships please. People should talk to those it makes the most sense to.

It'd also be pretty cool if the Avatar had a shared ending with all characters.

What do you mean? Like, the availability of a shared ending for each character or a shared ending with every character each time you play? Sorry, just a tad confused. Awesome trailer fried my brain. Edited by Respite&Nepenthe

What do you mean? Like, the availability of a shared ending for each character or a shared ending with every character each time you play? Sorry, just a tad confused. Awesome trailer fried my brain.

A shared ending with a single character for a single playthrough if you maxed out their support rank. Basically what we have now, but the paired endings will be much more limited for non-Kamui characters.

Judging by the progression and plot-centered focus, I'd assume that if marriage appeared, it would probably be either a post-Ultimatum-choice mechanism, or an end game story event. It seems way too nonsensical to add marriage in the middle, then demand you choose which side you want to go with (Well obviously... the side of my wife?...). Marriage in the middle of a full-blown war also seem lacking in common sense.

That being said, I demand marriage be in place. All these luscious waifus and no way to court them is like a VNer's worst nightmare.

Edited by HowTragic

A shared ending with a single character for a single playthrough if you maxed out their support rank. Basically what we have now, but the paired endings will be much more limited for non-Kamui characters.

That's what I thought. I concur.

Judging by the progression and plot-centered focus, I'd assume that if marriage appeared, it would probably be either a post-Ultimatum-choice mechanism, or an end game story event. It seems way too nonsensical to add marriage in the middle, then demand you choose which side you want to go with (Well obviously... the side of my wife?...). Marriage in the middle of a full-blown war also seem lacking in common sense.

That being said, I demand marriage be in place. All these luscious waifus and no way to court them is like a VNer's worst nightmare.

I kind of like this. And honestly, if I can't marry Marx, I will murder him--OHMYGOD, AND JUST LIKE THAT IVR BECOME THARJA!!

By the way, I'm sorry for responding to everything, because I know I must seem annoying, but the marriage system is super important to me, I've ingested more caffeine than is healthy for a human, I don't usually have such strong Wi-Fi, and SO MUCH HYPE.

Sure, I wouldn't mind it, but more like an endgame thing, epilogue deal. Like in FE8 or something, where if you S support Ephraim with Tana for example, then don't get married RIGHT THEN AND THERE. But you find out post-game that "blah blah blah, Ephraim became king with his wife Tana by his side".

I want it, it kind of makes certain characters more special to certain people..

especially that purple haired nohr woman

I'm afraid the game will be so plot-centric, characters will tAke the backseat and marriage will be eschewed. But I agree, marriage makes me genuinely attached to the characters and ti the game.

Fire emblem IS known for it's "bonds" system, which allows greater game invovlement with its characters, than say, advance wars. However, the marriage system in Awakening was neccesitated by plot, and I feel certain characters (Ricken, Lissa, Henry, Libra, and especially Lon'qu jump to mind) had the marriage system forced. So, to cap up, the S-rank system was great, and will likely be repeated, the whole marriage thing, not so much. Perhaps a support limit, like the Gameboy games featured, will be used.

On a side note, the Nohr woman reminds me of Lust the homunculus. (shudder)

Fire emblem's always had some supports lead to folks getting married. No reason to change that, but, make S rank everyone's story ending support (which can mean marriage, but may also mean running off to be best buds together and start up a business, or finding a long lost sibling and spending time with them. Any support that changes someones ending basically)

Surely, Marriage will be retained, but at least there's no future children.

Thing I want is for Kamui's endings with his/her spouse to have a bit more diversity. Though, it feels like there will be a copypaste ending which will go like:

"Kamui has succeeded his/her father/mother and becomes the king/queen/emperor/empress of Nohr/Hoshido. His/her wife/husband, [insert name here] joined as his/her king/queen/emperor/empress and loved each other more than anything else."

Though, that happens when you get a good ending, and other endings might vary. I don't know :/ (shrug)

Edited by カプリ

If marriage returns, I want it to be like the GBA games and have it as a character ending thing. I wouldn't have minded it being done the Awakening way had it not been for all the waifu crap it spawned.

Surely, Marriage will be retained, but at least there's no future children.

Thing I want is for Kamui's endings with his/her spouse to have a bit more diversity. Though, it feels like there will be a copypaste ending which will go like:

"Kamui has succeeded his/her father/mother and becomes the king/queen/emperor/empress of Nohr/Hoshido. His/her wife/husband, [insert name here] joined as his/her king/queen/emperor/empress and loved each other more than anything else."

Though, that happens when you get a good ending, and other endings might vary. I don't know :/ (shrug)

I know what you mean. In FE13. I married Chrom and was upset that little was said in his ending. I mean, obviously, if I married the character, I liked him, so obviously I want to hear something about him, not just how much Robin loves him. Plus, he's, like, the main character, and the Prince of Ylisse seems more important than just their love.

I did like how, instead of marriage, there could just be partners, like in Lucina and Owain's case, but preferably being cousins isn't a prerequisite for some characters to have this.

I don't know, but I'm a sucker for meaningful, platonic relationships between the sexes (or even of the same gender, for that matter). I guess because of how close I am with some of my guy friends. I feel like non-family heteronormality isn't depicted often enough.