Marriage

Marriage  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this game will have marriage?

2. 2. Do you want this game to have marriage?

3. 3. How should it be handled?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. I'm by no means an Awakening hater or a soldier of the Waifu Wars (marrying characters was fun, and the supports were cute), but I don't like it being so crucial to the plot. Time-travel children was a cheesy trope.

I'm hoping for a more serious game this time around, just for a change of pace.

Yeah. I'm by no means an Awakening hater or a soldier of the Waifu Wars (marrying characters was fun, and the supports were cute), but I don't like it being so crucial to the plot. Time-travel children was a cheesy trope.

I'm hoping for a more serious game this time around, just for a change of pace.

Oh, I love Awakening too (my favorite 3DS game and one of my two favorites in the FE franchise) but I don't necessarily want to tread the same ground either.

Definitely like the marriage aspect and want it to return, however I don't want it stealing the show. Thus, I voted for it being an end-game thing

I'm preeetty sure that regardless of sibling bonds, it'd still be incest to marry your Hoshidan siblings.

Marrying your Nohr siblings, on the other hand, would not technically be incest... But it would still be weird.

It would still be incest but that's hardly been a deterrent for some real world royal families. Being able to court your Nohrian family could be possible if it's established they never thought of you as their real family. It's all a matter of perception.

I'd like more heteronormality, as all meaningful relationships don't need to be sexual, but that's a discussion for another time.

The word you are thinking of is 'Heteronormativity' and it refers to the belief that the two genders are complimentary and that non-heterosexual orientations are abnormal. It doesn't refer to platonic relations between opposite gender people.

The more you know! *rainbows*

I like S-Support system of Awakening but the Marriage part should be relegated to the ending slides, with pictures.

Never mind, I didn't realize I already posted in this thread.

I will say though, I don't think the marriage system will carry over just because Awakening had it. The FE series usually shakes things up quite a bit between different installments. Not counting sequels/prequels set in the same continent.

Edited by Radiant head

I am talking about Nohr side. who knows they might go all fe4 on us.

You mean brainwashing siblings into marrying each to give birth to the anti-Christ?

Edited by Mysterique Sign

I'm pretty sure marriage will be in the game. I wouldn't be sad at all if it isn't, though. As long as the siblings are off limits, I don't care. It would be really weird if we're allowed to marry any of them.

If they do do it again (which I'm sure they will for Hoshido), I want the reasons for getting married to be a little more down to earth, and less "you threw a beehive at me and it made me fall in love with you".

Some of the ones in Awakening were just flat out ridiculous, even as standard supports.

You mean brainwashing siblings into marrying each to give birth to the anti-Christ?

I haven't played 4, but that sounds a lot like Arthurian mythology

If they do do it again (which I'm sure they will for Hoshido), I want the reasons for getting married to be a little more down to earth, and less "you threw a beehive at me and it made me fall in love with you".

Some of the ones in Awakening were just flat out ridiculous, even as standard supports.

I think this is inevitable when you let (almost) every male character marry (almost) every female character... which is pretty ridiculous and I certainly hope they avoid that in the future. Even if you must make an exception for the avatar for fanservice reasons, no reason to do that for others.

I'm fine with marriage coming back though I'd prefer the caveat I just mentioned, and hopefully not too much in the middle of the game. It'd be pretty nice if the game reflected the range of human relationships (platonic and non-platonic) possible in the supports but I won't hold my breath.

Sounds like a story of my former classmate. *you threw a plate with lunch on it in my face (accidentally) and now we are married*

Sometimes, first push is... less than romantic

Back on topic: i would be okay with marriage returning. S supports can be quite interesting thing to read.

Sounds like a story of my former classmate. *you threw a plate with lunch on it in my face (accidentally) and now we are married*

Sometimes, first push is... less than romantic

Back on topic: i would be okay with marriage returning. S supports can be quite interesting thing to read.

Fair enough. I still think the one I mentioned was poorly executed, but I can attest that sometimes people get together over the oddest things.

Fair enough. I still think the one I mentioned was poorly executed, but I can attest that sometimes people get together over the oddest things.

I thought Gaius x Sumia was one of the sweetest supports in the game :(

In any case, I want GBA/Tellius-style supports back with Awakening-level content (barring forced love stories and rushed S-supports) because IIRC supports were really short and not meaty at all, while some were just duds. Maybe everyone could get 7-8 supports that make sense each and Kamui could support everyone? If it ends up in in-game marriage, great, but I hope the supports don't suffer for it.

I really liked Awakening's support system as a whole, but there were far too many options which resulted in a lot of it feeling watered down. I think it would be optimal if everyone had fewer but longer support conversations.

I want Awakening's system, but supports between units which make some sense (more like the GBA support lists). I can't really see Gregor x Miriel, for example.

I'm sure some fanfiction writer can, though.

I'd also prefer confessions over proposals, tbh. Most of them seemed forced. The marriage can be an epilogue thing.

Edited by Crysta

I want Kamui to be able to S-support everyone( only 1, maybe, per save file though). However, S-support does not have to be marraige. I think that whatever happens with that S-support, whether it be marriage, life-long friends, business partners, whatever should not be revealed until the epilogue and the time between when the S-support is reached and the epilogue, the pair goes the incest Awakening route and lable themselves as "companions." Basically, I want the S-support boosts and availability in-game but the content to stay post-game. This is the same for all the other characters except they obviously have a more limited number of support applicants.

Another interesting concept would be an S-support trio. The pegasus sisters(siblings, God bless Tsubaki) could be an example of this. These would of course be even more limited in who it could happen between but just a thought.

I also think that the little character quips should be altered after S-support is reached. It always felt weird having Cordelia talk about Chrom or Tharja talking about Robin (though Tharja's more understandable) after they're married to another man and claim to have forgotten about their respective obsession. That leads in to marriage/ S-Support having more impact on the story. Perhaps if someone's companion dies, the one who lived has a death quote for as well or maybe even the dead has left them something. This could be an interesting way to gain rare items or abilities.

Even though I think FE14 will have marriage implemented in it, I'd rather have no marriage in it at all. Because if IS do implement marriage in FE14, it'll be like FE Awakening and as stated by others before, some marriage supports in Awakening were found ridiculous. I didn't like some of them either. So if IS does go with marriage in FE14, I hope that they are more realistic. That's why I voted for an end-game marriage. *Fingers crossed!*

I don't really care if there is going to be marriage or not, though I rather just want them to be end-game exclusive.

To me, it just makes more sense to marry after the war is over.

I mean, killing people on your honeymoon is...interesting...whatever floats your boat, I guess... But I'd just prefer it to be end-game marriage, after everything is over and peace has returned and all that good stuff.

I'm just hoping there won't be any waifu wars again, like with Awakening...I'm not holding my breath though...

Marriage has pretty much been a thing in every single game of the series, in some form of fashion. It would be a little odd for it to not be in this game, as long as it's not half-strategy RPG, half-dating simulator.

Marriage has pretty much been a thing in every single game of the series, in some form of fashion. It would be a little odd for it to not be in this game, as long as it's not half-strategy RPG, half-dating simulator.

I'm fairly sure most people are talking about Marriage as a game mechanic, where the characters are specifically labeled as married. Only FE4 and Awakening does that. I can't think of a support conversation outside of Awakening where characters get married. (There are a handfull where they say they love eachother, but neither has a ring ready to go lol)

I assumed that "marriage" referred to characters getting married in endings as well, myself, hence the third poll. It's certainly not in every game of the series: it's in Genealogy, the GBA games, and Awakening. (I'm not very familiar with FE2 or FE5, so forgive me if I missed one of them). In the Tellius games, you couldn't pair up anyone in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn wasn't much different, with like half a dozen paired endings and nobody having more than one potential marriage partner, IIRC. And I don't remember anything of that sort in the DS games (and by proxy, FE1/3), though my memory of their writing is poor so again correct me if I'm wrong.

FE2 actually does have characters marry in their endings. Cleive and Matilda come to mind, if I'm remembering right. (only if they're both alive, if one dies the other person's ending is like "mourned the loss forever wah")

Edited by L95

^^ FE 5 also has a good amount of endings where characters get married to another character but they are fixed and are implied instead of stated, probably cause i don't think they change if the other character dies.