The 5 Best Skills/Skill Combos in FE: Awakening

So in the situation Yoshi outlined, it would have been more beneficial to the units survival to un-equip their weapon? Wouldn't they just die the turn afterwards?

For clarification: not necessarily. General options include kiting backwards to open up more room to fight opponents (if you have any spaces you can move to), using Galeforce to kill something and then re-unequipping and healing (keep doing this until all enemies are dead), or just healing so stubbornly that your enemies' weapons all break. You'll die soon if you just do nothing the next turn, but generally you only need to do this when you're really on the ropes and are guaranteed to die on the EP if you don't. You should watch Kuroi's stream some time if you want to see it in action, I can guarantee he's going to be in that place again some time (it's part of the planned strat for Cht.5, after all).

Apo usually doesn't have a high enough enemy density for this to happen, but there are still scenarios (particularly if you're trying to pull a group of dangerous foes with overlapping ranges) where you just need to bodyblock one and this can be useful.

I've been shot?

*Suddenly wants to be left out of this*

It's just a flesh wound

For clarification: not necessarily. General options include kiting backwards to open up more room to fight opponents (if you have any spaces you can move to), using Galeforce to kill something and then re-unequipping and healing (keep doing this until all enemies are dead), or just healing so stubbornly that your enemies' weapons all break. You'll die soon if you just do nothing the next turn, but generally you only need to do this when you're really on the ropes and are guaranteed to die on the EP if you don't. You should watch Kuroi's stream some time if you want to see it in action, I can guarantee he's going to be in that place again some time (it's part of the planned strat for Cht.5, after all).

Apo usually doesn't have a high enough enemy density for this to happen, but there are still scenarios (particularly if you're trying to pull a group of dangerous foes with overlapping ranges) where you just need to bodyblock one and this can be useful.

I definitely wanna see it then! That's interesting, I'd have never thought un-equipping to be useful in the first place let alone a critical piece of some strategy for Lunatic+.

I've never used this tactic before and it'd be cool to see it. pm me the link to the twitch?

Anyways, on track. Gonna update the criteria so it's not a cluster-fuck. Need to pick a side and stick with it!

Edited by lpmeteora27

Check his thread, too. Granted I've only been playing Awakening for a week, but I've learned more about strategy in that thread than I have from pretty much any other guides I've found online combined.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52170

It'll show WHY veteran is the best skill in the game, why un-equip tanking is a necessary strategy, and how brute forcing things with damage is not an optimal strategy.

It's in stark contrast to the way I dealt with normal Lunatic, brute force the first 5 battles and then grind DLC. Once I finish up my first lunatic run, I plan on playing around with his strategies on Lunatic+

On the other hand, if you want to just have a YOLO damage setup that can turn you into a one man army, that's a different story.

Edited by Nagamitsu

The link is in that thread/his sig and also here. Next stream will be around Friday at 7pm PST.

That OP is slightly outdated, though: at this point suspends are absolutely out of the question. Once you've taken a run to 5am (6am for him), The One is going to be Single-Segment. It shouldn't have to last all of that long, though.

And yes, unequipping is one of the two most vital mechanics to have a firm handle on if you want to stand a chance against Lunatic+, along with clever use of the Transfer and Drop mechanics to move units far further than you would normally be able to in a given span of time. If you've seen Dondon's FE6 HM 0% growths LTC, that's the kind of long-distance fast travel you want to be able to pull off (particularly relevant in Cht.1)... Except here it's less of for saving turns and more of for running from scary enemies.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi