Give me Avatar designs

Recently I've taken to speedrunning FE13, which I believe will eventually be the end of my 3DS. I've found myself bored with the avatar design I'm currently using, so why not ask the swood great community of SF to give me some ideas? With each Avatar submitted, I'll give you a summary of how they did along with high and low points. Because of how the run works, if I have to reset before Ch. 8, which is about 70% of the time, your avatar will get another shot.

Unfortunately, because of how the strategies work, the Avatar must be female and must have her asset set to Magic. For the flaw, it can only be Defense or Strength. I normally run with Str as the flaw, but I need to test Def anyway. Other than that, everything is up to you! Name doesn't have to be appropriate either, since I think everything gets past the name check if you press Yes.

You should ask Twitch chat. They're really good at this.

Definitely use Yololi though. She's the champ of Lunatic+. It would be great if she could carry two records to victory (she already has Lunatic+ resetless under her belt).

For anyone who wants Yololi (may she live on FOREVER), her stats were build 2, face 3, hair 1 and hair color 18, voice 3, birthday 1/1 and asset/flaw +Spd/-Skl.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Alright, so far Yololi has has been used in five runs. All five died to human error and forgetting parts of strats. For whatever reason, the one that got the furthest decided to cap Str as a Pegasus Knight. Really useless!

Wait, how is that useless? Str is kind of the only damage-dealing stat a Pegasus Knight has and while Javelins aren't anywhere near as formidable as tomes, an overleveled Dark Flier can still make good use of them. At least, it might let the run continue until she has a chance to pick up more Mag.

What kind of run is this, anyway? No Extras Any%?

STR is only needed for Chapters 7 and 8 in this run. Every other chapter in the game requires as much MAG as possible, partially for tome conservation, and especially earlygame and for Grima. I'm doing Any% no Extras Normal/Classic). It's usually stylized as Any% Normal, since using Renown, as far as I know, would go under New Game+, and the Classic/Casual choice means nothing. I, as well as the speedrunner I learned the route from, go for Classic so it looks more legit, I guess. I might do some New Game+ at some point, but it requires nothing but Renown grinding to max on one file and BSing your way through Ch. 3. After that, you can buy DLC Micaiah, and that'd be game over. Hard and Lunatic any% would probably be what I'd look into next for Awakening, though I'd like to stream something. Since my 3DS hasn't been modified, I'd likely go for Thracia because it looks interesting, or one of the GBA ones for practicality.

/end ramble

Edited by Forceman

Did you happen to learn it from Indy Kenobi? I tend to watch his runs from time to time (although, he's been on break from it since getting that sub-37). The reason I usually tack on "No Extras" when I'm talking about it is to preempt people from asking about DLC or Renown (which, despite you guys putting it under New Game+, other people won't necessarily know, especially given that I've seen people come into the stream and ask about exactly those things).

And yeah, now that I know what you're running, I guess Javelins wouldn't be very viable (I may also have some bias for putting extra stock in it since it gets me past Aegis+), especially since I don't think I've ever seen him reset over having too low Mag.

Renown isn't NG+ though, the lower levels of Renown are accessible on your first run due to the low amounts you need in order to obtain those items. 5 maps guarantees a Glass Sword. 10 guarantees a Second Seal.

Edited by Irysa

Did you happen to learn it from Indy Kenobi? I tend to watch his runs from time to time (although, he's been on break from it since getting that sub-37). The reason I usually tack on "No Extras" when I'm talking about it is to preempt people from asking about DLC or Renown (which, despite you guys putting it under New Game+, other people won't necessarily know, especially given that I've seen people come into the stream and ask about exactly those things).

And yeah, now that I know what you're running, I guess Javelins wouldn't be very viable (I may also have some bias for putting extra stock in it since it gets me past Aegis+), especially since I don't think I've ever seen him reset over having too low Mag.

Yes, I did. I followed every FE game on Twitch and that's how I ran into him. Since at this point I'm not timing myself, I'll take the Renown Second Seal so I can practice the route if a favorable Anna doesn't show.

Having too low MAG is easily fixed. Hope for a Spirit Dust Anna, use Magic Tonics, or Second Seal back to Lv. 1 DF. Your run won't be very good if you have to resort to that, though.

Renown isn't NG+ though, the lower levels of Renown are accessible on your first run due to the low amounts you need in order to obtain those items. 5 maps guarantees a Glass Sword. 10 guarantees a Second Seal.

I suppose so, but unless the runner uses a fresh cartridge, Renown will be carried over.. It simply wouldn't be worth the time invested in 5 maps for the free Second Seal.

Well, it's pretty easily to simulate Renown gain by just knowing "item X is available after beating chapter Y". That said, knowing what I do about the route, waiting until after C9 for the Second Seal would put the run all kinds of horribly behind. The Glass Sword could be used by Tactician Robin, but I also seriously doubt that there'd be anything where that would help save time.

Not sure what you mean about the Renown thing, but for this category I think it's better just to reset until a favorable Anna appears. Otherwise, 1 hour plus is likely your time.

While you're here, why not give me another Avatar to trauma- er, run with?

Edited by Forceman

We know that Renown increases by 10 for every map beaten. So if every run assumes that Renown starts at 0, by standard game rules, a run that has just beaten C4 will have 50 Renown, allowing legit access to the Glass Sword. By the end of C9, 100 Renown is available, giving access to the Second Seal. Thus, why I said it was easy to simulate, but not really useful to this particular run.

If he's playing normal then he can just do spotpass battles in order to get the Second Seal instead of relying on Anna though. If you beat a spotpass team you get a whopping 50 renown.

I'm unconvinced that it's faster to reset for Anna spawning with the item you want as opposed to just walloping Florina or Edward into the ground.

Edited by Irysa

Unless I've misunderstood the routing, the entire run ends if Anna doesn't spawn with a Second Seal by a certain point no? I don't know how competitive the time is on this category right now, but is it really so optimised that the possible time spent on a single spotpass map in order to guarantee the seal after chapter 4 completely removes any chance of achieving a WR?

Edited by Irysa

Wait, by C4? C4 is the Glass Sword. C9 is the Second Seal. And, actually, C8's Second Seal would even preempt that.

Yeah, it's quite optimized. Indy ground it out quite hard until he got the god run WR, which is 36:55. There's very little time for anything other than blitzing story levels and WR got a double crit kill on Grima, which makes the timing even tighter. When he reviewed the splits, there were very few things he could say about it that weren't pretty minor quibbles. Basically, beating that is going to require either finding a new strat breakthrough or insaner than insane luck.

Unless I've misunderstood the routing, the entire run ends if Anna doesn't spawn with a Second Seal by a certain point no? I don't know how competitive the time is on this category right now, but is it really so optimised that the possible time spent on a single spotpass map in order to guarantee the seal after chapter 4 completely removes any chance of achieving a WR?

It very likely does. I didn't know about the renown gains until now, thanks Kuroi, but I suppose that an extra tome purchase and whalloping a weak Spotpass team could secure a run in a no-reset situation like GDQ.

Wait, by C4? C4 is the Glass Sword. C9 is the Second Seal. And, actually, C8's Second Seal would even preempt that.

Prologue to C4 is 50 Renown, one Spotpass map is 50 Renown = 100 for the Second Seal.

Alright, if the run's that optimised, then RIP, but at least it's nice for a safety strat I suppose. I doubt Awakening would ever get into GDQ though, it's a very uninteresting speedrun to actually watch if you're unfamiliar with it due to the enemy phase skipping (no offence).

Edited by Irysa

Oh, wow, oops, my bad. I forgot they were worth such a crazy amount. It is definitely still too tight for that. A month ago, it miiiight have been okay, but still. Might as well reset, since it's still really early. I agree that it'd be unlikely to make it into GDQ for the EP skipping reason. Smaller marathons are cropping up every day, though, so maybe someone will run it in one of those?

Alright, if the run's that optimised, then RIP, but at least it's nice for a safety strat I suppose. I doubt Awakening would ever get into GDQ though, it's a very uninteresting speedrun to actually watch if you're unfamiliar with it due to the enemy phase skipping (no offence).

I suppose so. I think that an Awakening run in that category would be more of a showcase, so rather than skipping enemy movements, just speed them to max?

Smaller marathons are cropping up every day, though, so maybe someone will run it in one of those?

Maybe, I'd love to show off this game some day on a bigger stage than Twitch someday.

• 2 weeks later...