2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

Your personal experiences are completely irrelevant to the situation at hand, and the difference is that the quantity of Native Americans isn't as large as the quantity of African Americans (or Middle Eastern/South Asian Americans since I specifically said "Sand N words") so they're not making nearly as big of an outcry.

The fact is that there are many Native Americans who hate walking around in the DMV area and feel very uncomfortable by the use of the slur in the area. The other fact is that the name was clearly intended in perpetuating racism towards Native Americans. The other fact is that the only opinions that you hear of the slur are the few and far between Native Americans who say "oh its nbd that was forever ago" except there are many that dislike it.

There is shit tons of institutional racism and racism through the media which you simply cannot feel as a white person. Now, as a woman you may be able to sympathize with it because the media, internet, and a lot of old school white males (again, these are the majority) have it out for women, but your personal experiences with racism are not any bit the slightest factor in this debate, given that it is an outlier in the grand scheme of things.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it funny how the MLB is immune with the Indians and Braves but the Redskins take heat. All three names are technically derogatory.

I vote we change the name to the Washington Omahas and be done with this matter. Or any other Native American tribe who lived in the area. Keep the logo but swap the name.

That being said, I want the Toronto Blue Jays to become the Toronto Green Arrows.

On a side note, I'm down for the Washington Sand Niggers. And I live in the Middle East and I'm not that offended. Or the Washington Big Noses...

Edited by Oogie Fletzet

what the hell is this goddamn topic becoming

I think the whole debate over the Redskins' name is ridiculous. It's just a football team using a name they thought was good. They're not trying to kill anybody with it.

think "san diego crackers," or "los angeles honkeys." maybe even "south carolina rednecks." it doesn't matter if they thought it was good--it's still a racial slur lol.

You mean what if the Redskins were called the Niggers?

sand nigger is a deragatory epithet for a middle-eastern person. although, the more common ethnic slurs are "towel head," or just straight-up terrorist. by virtue of being arab, i don't particularly find these phrases all that harmless. hate is hate, bruh. that being said, i'm personally not very sensitive, but i understand that the masses would be (rightfully) offended.

I find it funny how the MLB is immune with the Indians and Braves but the Redskins take heat. All three names are technically derogatory.

many prefer "american indian" over native american (which is argued to be too vague, since most in the us are 'native' americans). granted, they're just the cleveland indians, but still.

i'm optimistic for the rams this year, though i'm sure i have no reason to be...

Edited by Phoenix Wright

i'm optimistic for the rams this year, though i'm sure i have no reason to be...

Yes you do.

You have a good linebacker corps with Ogletree,Dunbar and Ayers. A great defensive-line in Aaron Donald and Chris Long. Your secondary might get itself together, though isn't really overly an optimistic unit.

Your offense has been upgraded a bit, but the offensive line still remains unproven with a few losses but added a lot of offensive linemen in the draft. You have a 2-headed monster on Offense with Tre Mason and Todd Gurley. With Gurley supposedly being a dynamic play-maker on offense. With a little bit more stability in the Quarterback position with Nick Foles.

Despite the unproven talent on offense, the offense should be able to pull more this time around with more talent being fluxed into it and the defense is looking great as ever.

so exactly like the last few years but with a guy who has shown to be pretty mediocre under pressure unlike Sam Bradford who is pretty good when his acl is healthy... and still a fairly bad OL on paper (that has yet to prove me wrong)

and they still had a losing record

And what makes you say that exactly? I don't remember you being some wizard that can foresee the future. Yes, they have a tough schedule, but the last time that happened, they got a Lombardi trophy. ;P

Edited by Anacybele

they had a tough schedule in 2012 as well... guess who won the lombardi there

besides, no bell for two games = good luck, and no secondary means that whatever QB they put in can throw against you guys ALL DAY

and no secondary/bad defense in general (Tomlin said he's not deluding himself into thinking this defense is good) is gonna be their downfall, especially if Ben gets hurt at some point.

Well, guess who still made the playoffs AND won their division with a bad defense last year? And if you say Bell not playing means the team will be shit, then his injury was the reason we lost to your Ravens in the playoffs, which you were arguing before was not the case. And you still can't say that the secondary/defense will be as bad as it was last season. It probably won't be really really good, but there is no 100% guarantee that it will be as bad as or worse than last year.

And any team that loses star players to injury will have a rough time, look at what happened to the Cardinals after Palmer got slammed.

Edited by Anacybele

Cardinals lost a significant # of star players before Palmer went down

Anyway, last year they were inconsistent, not good, they just got lucky that they won a couple

Luck? No, if you want a team that has that, that's the Colts. :P

Anyway, in all seriousness, what are you talking about. They didn't win only a couple games, they won eleven. The only seriously problems they had were a bad defense and for whatever reason shitting themselves vs bad teams (ie, the inconsistency that you mentioned). But when they WEREN'T playing badly, they were really fucking good and they were being less inconsistent towards the end of the season. Not completely consistent, but still.

They also suffered a lot of injuries on that defense, which was one of the reasons it was bad (the other reason being the secondary consisting of old guys Polamalu and Taylor and the mysteriously crappy Cortez Allen along with average Mike Mitchell. Antwon Blake and Brice McCain were pretty decent, but not enough to change things. The only really good player on that secondary was William Gay). Ryan Shazier was looking pretty good before he got hurt, as was Jarvis Jones. And vs the Chiefs and Colts, that front seven really showed potential.

I don't know how you can say the Steelers were just lucky except if you're a biased Ravens fan, which you seem to be. They controlled their own destiny and won the games they needed to win. If the Steelers had gotten into the playoffs the season before that, when it came down to them only getting in if the Chiefs could win and the Chargers lost, THAT would've been luck.

Edited by Anacybele

Lucky may be the wrong word, but they've won a few games where they played like shit, and a few others right after major players got smacked by injury on certain teams. Games like the Jaguars where Bortles was still raw, Colts where they lost their pass rush and best corner, games like the Ravens where they started basically practice squad guys, and they were lucky in the 4th quarter against the Titans. There's a few other games too where they just struggled.

Their offense sputtered after those two massive games which contributed around 25% to their offensive production. Also, the fact that these old and bad players were starters says something terrible about their depth.

Lucky may be the wrong word, but they've won a few games where they played like shit, and a few others right after major players got smacked by injury on certain teams. Games like the Jaguars where Bortles was still raw, Colts where they lost their pass rush and best corner, games like the Ravens where they started basically practice squad guys, and they were lucky in the 4th quarter against the Titans. There's a few other games too where they just struggled.

Their offense sputtered after those two massive games which contributed around 25% to their offensive production. Also, the fact that these old and bad players were starters says something terrible about their depth.

I'm sorry but I'm going to agree with Ana on that one. A win is a win is a win. Doesn't matter how, all that matters is the W at the end of the day.

We both know that she blows numbers out of proportion but she is right about the Steelers controlling their own destiny up until the post-season. Steelers were more unlucky than lucky and played through it well.

In other non-Steeler related news (SURPRISE! THERE ARE 31 OTHER TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE!), NYJ was second in the fan pain rankings with Cleveland winning it all. Bills can't win Superbowls or even the honour of being the shittiest franchise in the AFC East...

If we're projecting the future, then we shouldn't simplify past details. It's not the 2014 regular/postseason anymore.

They still got pretty lucky in that they went against teams at opportune times, and at THE most opportune time (the wild card round when even more Ravens were on IR compared to two weeks prior) they lost it due to a single injury.

Steelers definitely didn't control their destiny until the last couple games of the regular season though, and in any case the Bengals controlled their destiny in the division equally well, the difference being that somehow the Bengals can never beat the Steelers. There were a few points where they were last in the division, and if not that they just looked horrible; again, if not for two big games, then the Steelers would be swept under the rug for next season.

Raven was the one that started it this time, not me. All I said was the news on a certain pair of suspensions and he decided to say "the Steelers are gonna blow." :P

And I was actually trying to go at least a couple pages without doing any Steeler talk (except for quick details like that). And there were other things related to them that I could've brought up and didn't.

But I'm tired of the same debate over and over, so I'm gonna stop here.

I'm sorry but I'm going to agree with Ana on that one. A win is a win is a win. Doesn't matter how, all that matters is the W at the end of the day.

i wouldn't say so.

also, i'm extremely late to the party, but i just found out the niners are changing their uniforms. i think gold on black looks bad, but the uniform is tight sans the helmet.

I sorta have to agree, Phoenix, on the win thing, I mean (didn't see those uniforms yet. In fact, I didn't even know about it and I check out NFL.com every day...). I'd rather the Steelers win fair and square and by their own skill than win just because of some technical thing like a bunch of injuries on the other team in one game or the other team just royally fucking up on their own.

Like, take Andrew Luck's butt safety, for instance. As hilarious as it was, I can't really say the Steelers actually caused that. Luck just embarrassed himself. lol

Oh, and football is finally coming back this Sunday and with some STEELERS football! WOO HOO! Hall of Fame game, yo! :D

Edited by Anacybele

His point was probably that a win is a win only in terms of your raw record, but you can't equate wins to team quality.

I'd love if teams were unfortunate for 19 straight games and the Ravens blew them out, but I'm not gonna go crowning them the GOAT team for it. Meanwhile the 07 Patriots were the greatest team of all time yet they didn't win the big one.

Was that the SB where a Giants guy miraculously caught a game winning TD? That crap was insane. :o

But yeah, now that I think about it, I don't think I'd call the Steelers the GOAT team if they won 19 straight games either. I can't possibly see them winning a streak like that ALL due to skill alone. There will always be some plain bad teams or bad ref calls.

...Especially if replacement refs ever have to come back. My god that was awful. Especially if you were a Packers fan.

On another note, dang nabbit, why can't I find an Antonio Brown Fathead? Where did my stepdad get my Polamalu one? xP I want to replace it with AB. Polamalu will probably always be my favorite Steeler, but he's retired, so I'd like to retire his Fathead too. And AB is AB, damn it.

His point was probably that a win is a win only in terms of your raw record, but you can't equate wins to team quality.

it's the "doesn't matter how" part that i dislike. i can't say i agree with that philosophy.

football is an extremely dangerous sport--players shouldn't be playing like assholes. i think harsher punishments should be in place for players that do.

i mean, it's not a battlefield out there, or a competition for limited resources. these are players who have millions of dollars to play a game. trying to severely hurt other players shouldn't be okay.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Phoenix is right. Remember, Lord Raven, that stupidass guy from the Bengals? What was his name again? Burfict? I'm talking about the guy who got himself a concussion from Flacco's balls. :P

He was also purposely trying to hurt Panthers players too, and that got me mad. And you said he was an idiot as well, which I still agree with.

Was that the SB where a Giants guy miraculously caught a game winning TD? That crap was insane. :o

Not quite. '07 was the helmet catch game, where David Tyree caught a bomb from Eli Manning on 3rd & 15+ on the most agonizingly long play I've watched in my life. The game clinching TD was Plaxico Burress burning Ellis Hobbs a few plays later. Tyree would go on to absolutely nothing and was out of the league within 2 seasons, while our buddy Plax went on to shoot himself out of the league.

Oh, and Randy Moss was about 2 yards away from catching a Hail Mary at the end of that game... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUGj5qQFnnc