2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

Boswell is at 87.7% FG% and Tucker is at 89.9% FG%. Keeping in mind that Boswell's average Field Goal range is much lower than Tucker's by a fair margin. Tucker's rookie season in comparison to Boswell's rookie season - 30/33 with 4/4 from 50+, Boswell's is 29/32 with 2/2 from 50+ (long being 56 for Tucker and 51 for Boswell). Their second season in the league: Boswell was 21/25 with 0/2 from 50+ and a long of 49, and Tucker was 38/41 with 6/7 from 50+, with a long of 61. There's a very wide gap between the two, and it concerns Boswell's range (which might be why the Steelers are more likely to punt from, say, the 35 or 40 than go for a field goal, whereas the Ravens would go for the Field Goal).

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boswell hasn't yet needed to kick from 55 or higher. He WAS going attempt a 58 yarder, but Tomlin must've changed his mind at the last second. We'll see how well he does whenever he DOES have to kick that far.

It's way too much effort to sift through this data on what field position the Steelers have punted from when I have a major exam in a month to study for. He was 0/2 on 50+ yard field goals, and his long is 51 (so barely on the edge of the 40s). Clearly they've attempted it and failed and may not have confidence in their kicker to make kicks from 50+. Which puts him as a consistent kicker but not particularly great. The fact that Tucker averages around 5-6 50+ yard attempts per year and he nails them around 70% of the time is actually insane, and his average field goal distance + his overall FG% is better than Boswell's. On top of that Tucker has the highest FG% in league history.

3 hours ago, -Cynthia- said:

The Steelers aren't really looking like a team that can knock out the Pats right now. In any case, go Falcons.

Vs the Chiefs, yeah, they didn't. The Chiefs have the best redzone defense though, so it's not THAT big a deal not being able to get TDs against them. There should've been at least one anyway because AB of all people dropped one. >.>

But with this team, you never know. One game they could look meh and then the next they could completely flatten the opponent like a pancake. They've been rather up and down the whole season and only found at least SOME consistency in the second half. But not a whole lot.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Vs the Chiefs, yeah, they didn't. The Chiefs have the best redzone defense though, so it's not THAT big a deal not being able to get TDs against them. There should've been at least one anyway because AB of all people dropped one. >.>

But with this team, you never know. One game they could look meh and then the next they could completely flatten the opponent like a pancake. They've been rather up and down the whole season and only found at least SOME consistency in the second half. But not a whole lot.

I'm mostly concerned with how Ben is playing- I think I saw something like 5 TDs and 8 INTs in his last five games? Maybe he's injured or something.

11 hours ago, -Cynthia- said:

I'm mostly concerned with how Ben is playing- I think I saw something like 5 TDs and 8 INTs in his last five games? Maybe he's injured or something.

Same here. He's not doing many Big Ben things lately. >.> The best he played recently was in the game-winning drive vs the Ravens on Christmas, which is the sole reason I'm not counting him out completely. He recovered from two bad picks in that game against one of the best defenses. So he can be a savior when he needs to. I just worry that even that won't be enough this time since the Ravens also didn't have that good an offense. We're facing a team that has good players on both sides of the ball.

Although there's another reason his TD count is down, and that's Bell. Bell's been getting a good chunk of our scores lately, including three vs the Bills alone and two more vs the Dolphins in the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, -Cynthia- said:

Falcons are officially a pretty damn scary team after beating the Seahawks pretty soundly last week and it's looking like a stomp of the Packers here. 

The Packers secondary is also awful, and their offense has had key injuries. The Falcons are much healthier right now.

That being said, the Packers also made dumb mistakes and had some bad luck. Crosby had his first missed FG in forever, and an RB lost a fumble that should've been a safety, not a touchback (if it had been ruled a safety, the Falcons would only come away with two points, rather than putting up seven more after the ball was put on the 20 yard line).

Rodgers isn't getting any help from his o-line and defense, it's so depressing for him. I feel legitimately bad for him. He deserved to go to the Super Bowl after what he's done. He had one bad pick today, but that's the only mistake he made.

Steelers vs Patriots starts soonish! I'm not expecting my guys in black and gold to win, though I hope they do, of course. I just want them to play a really good game and not copy today's Packers...

Edited by Anacybele

I don't really feel bad for Rodgers, he's already won a Super Bowl. Ryan's never even been to one and he's been having a really excellent year. He just doesn't get as much media attention. 

Just now, -Cynthia- said:

I don't really feel bad for Rodgers, he's already won a Super Bowl. Ryan's never even been to one and he's been having a really excellent year. He just doesn't get as much media attention. 

Why does the number of Super Bowl wins matter? Rodgers played his damndest and played freakishly well to get here, and now the rest of his team lets him down. I don't know how you can't feel bad for him.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Why does the number of Super Bowl wins matter? Rodgers played his damndest and played freakishly well to get here, and now the rest of his team lets him down. I don't know how you can't feel bad for him.

As a Steelers fan, I guess you wouldn't get what it's like to literally never have a Super Bowl win or not be one of the perennial 'contenders' every year. The Steelers/Packers/Patriots have all had years of continued success.

I don't really give a shit about Rodgers getting a second Super Bowl by comparison. It's not like all the players on the Falcons (including Matt Ryan) don't work hard either, but they don't have the same amount of media attention.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Almost everyone plays their ass off in the NFL. The difference is that not nearly everyone gets the accolades.

I personally don't like Matt Ryan at all or the Falcons, but I'd rather them get it than the other three, seeing as the Falcons have been lacking the accolades to go with success. It's almost my sympathy with them as a Ravens fan - sympathy from 5 years ago, where Harbaugh/Flacco/Reed/Suggs were in danger of the window expiring and not getting a ring. In this case, I feel probably a little less for the Falcons because they don't have Roddy White or Tony Gonzalez able to get the ring.

Also, would like to note, the Falcons became a Top 10 or 15 scoring offense of all time as a result of this season. The Packers didn't do really anything of note but run the table, but even then they fell pretty short.

5 minutes ago, -Cynthia- said:

As a Steelers fan, I guess you wouldn't get what it's like to literally never have a Super Bowl win or not be one of the perennial 'contenders' every year. The Steelers/Packers/Patriots have all had years of continued success.

I don't really give a shit about Rodgers getting a second Super Bowl by comparison. It's not like all the players on the Falcons (including Matt Ryan) don't work hard either, but they don't have the same amount of media attention.

Seriously? None of that is even relevant to this conversation. And I guess YOU don't know what it's like to work your butt off to get far in something, only to be let down by your teammates in the end regardless of everything you'd done.

I don't really give a shit about Ryan getting to his first Super Bowl by comparison. His team is helping him. Rodgers is not being helped right now even though he worked very hard. He was struggling, but got up and got shit done. And this is how he's thanked?

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Seriously? None of that is even relevant to this conversation. And I guess YOU don't know what it's like to work your butt off to get far in something, only to be let down by your teammates in the end regardless of everything you'd done.

I don't really give a shit about Ryan getting to his first Super Bowl by comparison.

A lot of people here have. Falcons fans have had to suffer through this too - remember how they almost beat SF in the NFCCG like 4 years back? But they couldn't hold onto a damn ball at the end or play defense in the second half? Matt Ryan's been there, done that.

Rodgers has clearly had a lot of moments where his teammates carried him in comparison. Remember the 2010-2011 NFCCG? Rodgers played like shit in that game - but his teammates carried him to victory, and led him to the Super Bowl, which he later won. Peyton Manning made a career out of this shit in the playoffs, and he was carried in 2006 and 2015 once playoffs rolled around. It's extremely common in sports.

In fact, very recently Steve Smith came out and said that repeatedly the offense has continued to let Joe Flacco down. I don't see you feeling bad for any of these people. Ryan's been let down by his team quite a lot. I get you are trying to be empathetic, but it's short sighted in comparison to how Rodgers is far from the first QB to be let down by his team, and he hasn't been let down by his team nearly as much as the guy in the opposite side.

The point is valid that the Packers in general have been very very competitive - never missing the playoffs once in Rodgers' tenure except in his first year starting. The Steelers have missed playoffs at times, but they've been to three Super Bowls in this millennium, and even the years they miss playoffs they are always pegged as a good team. Nobody gave a shit about the Falcons every season since 2013; they were always pegged as a mediocre-at-best team.

Edited by Lord Raven

Ryan isn't being let down this season. Rodgers is. That's all that matters to me right now. End of story.

By the way, can you change the thread title? You might think all four teams right now are "poison" but not all of us think that. I feel like you're forcing your opinion on everyone here.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Ryan isn't being let down this season. Rodgers is. That's all that matters to me right now. End of story.

Um... Ryan's been playing lights out all season, Rodgers spent the first half of his season being shit. Furthermore lots of QBs have been "let down" this season, not just Rodgers. Anyone who doesn't make a Super Bowl is being "let down." this is not "end of story."

By the way, can you change the thread title? You might think all four teams right now are "poison" but not all of us think that. I feel like you're forcing your opinion on everyone here.

The Falcons aren't too poisonous (and I admit that's my personal bias), but the majority of fans don't want to see another repeat Super Bowl. It'll happen once you make a valid point or show that your empathy isn't short-sighted.

Edited by Lord Raven

The Falcons are a pretty easy poison to swallow compared to the rest. If the Steelers beat the Pats, I'll downgrade them to a lesser poison, too.

Edited by Slumber

Just now, Lord Raven said:

Um... Ryan's been playing lights out all season, Rodgers spent the first half of his season being shit. Furthermore lots of QBs have been "let down" this season, not just Rodgers. Anyone who doesn't make a Super Bowl is being "let down." this is not "end of story."

The Falcons aren't poison, but I the majority of fans want to see another repeat Super Bowl.

And Rodgers cleaned up his act and started playing like the real Aaron Rodgers, the one I always thought was the best QB around. And he started looking like that again at the right time, and now it's for naught.

The majority of us DO want a repeat SB? Then the thread title is even more pointless.

read my edit, it was a typo

I don't think you understand that everyone who has been in the NFL for longer than like 2-3 years (and even those that were in the NFL only 2-3 years) have worked their ass off. Rodgers only brought upon that massive comeback because he kept letting his team down in the first place!

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The Falcons are a pretty easy poison to swallow compared to the rest. If the Steelers beat the Pats, I'll downgrade them to a lesser poison, too.

steelers and pats are equally toxic, pats a little less so i'd say, but I'm biased due to being a Ravens fan that still eternally thanks Belichick for sprinkling his wisdom all over Ozzie Newsome and recommending Harbaugh as a Head Coach.

Edited by Lord Raven

Just now, Lord Raven said:

read my edit, it was a typo

steelers and pats are equally toxic, pats a little less so i'd say, but I'm biased due to being a Ravens fan that still eternally thanks Belichick for sprinkling his wisdom all over Ozzie Newsome and recommending Harbaugh as a Head Coach.

See, I'm a Vikings fan Minnesotan, so my biggest beef is with the Packers, followed by the Pats for just being such a boring team to watch and see win all the time(Plus, as somebody who has never benefited from Belichick, I have nothing for disdain for the guy). I have nothing against the Falcons, and the Steelers aren't the most electric team around, but I'd still prefer to see them win than see the Pats win any day of the week.

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

See, I'm a Vikings fan Minnesotan, so my biggest beef is with the Packers, followed by the Pats for just being such a boring team to watch and see win all the time(Plus, as somebody who has never benefited from Belichick, I have nothing for disdain for the guy). I have nothing against the Falcons, and the Steelers aren't the most electric team around, but I'd still prefer to see them win than see the Pats win any day of the week.

the vikings lost a super bowl to the steelers fyi

EDIT: fuck i forgot about 1998, so I can see why you hate the Falcons

Edited by Lord Raven

Rodgers has also let his team down on occasion. 2014 NFC Championship game against the Seahawks, Packers D got 4 interceptions but the Packers only managed to score one TD the entire game. I don't get what makes him so important compared to everyone else (Drew Brees can't even get in the playoffs because the Saints defense is usually atrocious etc.)

Edited by -Cynthia-

4 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

the vikings lost a super bowl to the steelers fyi

Yeah, but that was over 40 years ago. If I had a grudge against every team that stopped the Vikings from entering the playoffs/making it to the super bowl/winning the super bowl, I think I'd have to hate literally every team in the NFL.

Plus, I'm not really that much of a Vikings fan. I'm happy when I see them do well, but I also expect for them to fall apart and I never really get my hopes up. Even this year, when they were the last undefeated team and looked like a shoe-in for the playoffs, and maybe even SB contenders, I expected them to fuck it up somehow.

I'm more of a Packers hater, and being calling myself a Vikings fan gives me more free reign to hate the Packers.

Edited by Slumber