Character names that you always pronounce wrong but don't care anymore?

Kamui-of-Nohr

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember pronouncing "Guy" as you would normally say the word in English, but then I watched one of dondon's videos (I think it was him) and realized the name is supposed to be French and thus pronounced "Gee".

Huh, I have been doing Kjelle as Chell not Shell. But before that I was pronouncing it somewhat like "Kelly" but with a weird soft-j/y-ish sound mixed in the front. Like: Kyell-ey. Anyway, it's an unfamiliar style of name to me. Took me longer than I'd like to admit to care enough to figure out myrmidon, but that's not technically a character name. I'm sure there are others for me too, as I'm not that good at pronouncing names unfortunately, but those are the ones that stick out. If it's a hard name/word I honestly just recognize it by look and never even really try pronouncing it. I would also like to note that it is hard to know what is a correct pronunciation, as many names aren't actually audibly announced in FE.

I know Guy is supposed to be Gii (hard G and pronounced like Wii), but I still like to say look at that Guy over there, or gotta recruit that Guy over there.

I'm in the Mar-sha boat as well as I know somebody who spells their name and pronounces it as such.

I use a soft g for Zelgius so instead of Zel-Gii-Us it's more Zel-jus

Also never sure if Noire is Nor (as in neither nor) or N-wharr (with wharr sounding like the beginning of what and arr being the sound a pirate makes).

Edited by Philranger

German native speakers tend to stress the second syllable of names that are unfamiliar to them at times. MI-dir becomes mi-DIR, HOL-yn becomes ho-LYN and OI-faye becomes oi-FAYE.

Happens to me in just about every FE game I've played.

interesting...

As for Thracia, i call it Thray-she-ah. Probabyly wrong. Jugdral is "Yoog-drawl" (isnt that word actually a weird iteration of Yggdrasil anyway?)

Elibe is for me, "El-eeb" /shrug

How do you pronounce Renais? Like, i really dont know. I kinda call it "Ren-ah" but im pretty freaking sure that is very incorrect.

What about Oujay? I kinda call him "Oo-jay"

I say "Ren-AY" for Renais because the "ais" part is a French suffix that's typically pronounced like a long A. I mean, look at words like francais (the French for "French" lol) and such.

Edited by Anacybele

Its Leonardo's bow Lughnasadh that really fucks me up. Like its literally pronounced "Loo-nah-saw" or some shiz but i keep pronouncing the DH.

Loo-nah-sad for me.

And Renais = ren-ay-us. I know it's wrong...

Edited by Dragoncat

I know Guy is supposed to be Gii (hard G and pronounced like Wii), but I still like to say look at that Guy over there, or gotta recruit that Guy over there.

I'm in the Mar-sha boat as well as I know somebody who spells their name and pronounces it as such.

I use a soft g for Zelgius so instead of Zel-Gii-Us it's more Zel-jus

Also never sure if Noire is Nor (as in neither nor) or N-wharr (with wharr sounding like the beginning of what and arr being the sound a pirate makes).

Noire is pronounced No-are, it's the French word for black iirc.

Don't quote me on that, it's been years since I took a French class.

^No, you're correct, Glaceon. I took French as well for three years in high school, so while I don't remember all the words I learned, I do remember many of the language's rules.

I never really know if I'm pronouncing things correctly, because I never give an effort to look it up. It might be correct, but I get the vibe that I'm wrong XD.

L'Arachel: "Lar-uh-chel"

Caeda: "Kay-duh"

Noire: "Noo-are" or "Nor"

Aether: "Ay-thur"

Cherche: "Chair-cheh"

Tharja: "Thar-szha"

Kjelle: "Kuh-szhell"

wat. I thought it was just "guy" XD.

I say "Ren-AY" for Renais because the "ais" part is a French suffix that's typically pronounced like a long A. I mean, look at words like francais (the French for "French" lol) and such.

I've always said "Ray-niss". I'm pretty sure I'm wrong though XD.

I pronounce Renais as Re-nays.

Before his name got localized to Ulster, I was confused on the pronunciation of Scathatch. I kept fiddling around with it in my brain until I got to "Scat-hatch" after which the eight year old in my brain went "heh heh, poop" and it stuck.

After the English dub of Fate/Stay Night I am compelled to pronounce Gae Bolg as "gay bulge"

As you can tell, my inability to pronounce Irish names is a gold mine for my immaturity.

After the English dub of Fate/Stay Night I am compelled to pronounce Gae Bolg as "gay bulge"

omg I thought I was the only one. Glad to see I'm not alone! Really though, I cannot pronounce Gae Bolg like I feel like I should be pronouncing it.

How is Tharja's name supposed to be pronounced anyway?

I usually say Thar-hah (I do something similar with Majora of the Zelda series, Ma-hor-a). I'm pretty sure I'm wrong though.

^No, you're correct, Glaceon. I took French as well for three years in high school, so while I don't remember all the words I learned, I do remember many of the language's rules.

Thanks. I'm not very confident in my French skill since I haven't studied it whatsoever since middle school.

I wasn't aware that there are "official pronunciations" other than the narrator in RD (and whether that counts as "official" seems sketchy at best, to me).

Talking about RD's narrator, he says "Joffrey" instead of "Jeffrey" which really bugs me (and yes, Geoffrey is supposed to be pronounced "Jeffrey").

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Talking about RD's narrator, he says "Joffrey" instead of "Jeffrey" which really bugs me (and yes, Geoffrey is supposed to be pronounced "Jeffrey").

"Geoffrey" could be derived into "Joffrey" or "Jeffrey," with "Jeffrey" being more common nowadays. I guess it depends on which vowel someone wants to make silent.

I prefer the "Joffrey" pronunciation. It just sounds better to me.

Yup Noire is black in French.

Roy is kinda annoying since in French Roi mean King and I can't pronounce his name correcly XD.

Joffrey makes me think Game of Thrones...and that character is a bratty spoiled inbred prince. Geoffery in FE is a noble, but he's not a brat and I highly doubt he's the result of incest.

So I prefer making the O silent...