What Would You Think of Weapon Breaker Weapons/Staves?

Jagged Jagen

Let me explain, I had this idea whilst playing Rekka of a potential breaker weapon. This would be a weapon that has a chance to break an opponents weapon to compensate for the lack of durability, with the trade off being it itself has limited uses. Same could go for a Stave that breaks weapons. It would not be a guaranteed hit, by any means, more like a crit chance or the small chances of status staves, but I still think it could be interesting. What do you think, do you think it's possible/like the idea or does it go against the point of removing durability in the first place?

EDIT: Someone on Reddit pointed out that this happened in Tear Ring Saga, but was a tad unbalanced as every hit destroyed weapons. I think this is too much, but chance could work.

Edited by DeoGame

I could get behind it, especially since Swordbreakers existed in real life although they didn't exactly break the sword (Just caused heavy edge damage).

I would like it if it had to take multiple tries for it to break the weapon though. That would be balanced I think, but I could get behind it if it's done well.

Or maybe it could do just like Swordbreakers and reduce the weapons Might

That sounds horribly, horribly infuriating. As silly as Yatogami looks with the rest of Kamui's outfit, you can be sure that I'd restart the chapter if I lost it. Oh god, I can see the rage quits now as the special weapons I worked so hard to get break.

This sort of thing is much less of a problem when the game establishes from the get-go that weapons will break, and if you can easily buy weapons from the shop. With unlimited uses you already get rid of former, and what's the point of unlimited uses with the latter?

I apologize for the little gray quote box. I've got no clue how to get rid of it.

That sounds horribly, horribly infuriating. As silly as Yatogami looks with the rest of Kamui's outfit, you can be sure that I'd restart the chapter if I lost it. Oh god, I can see the rage quits now as the special weapons I worked so hard to get break.

This sort of thing is much less of a problem when the game establishes from the get-go that weapons will break, and if you can easily buy weapons from the shop. With unlimited uses you already get rid of former, and what's the point of unlimited uses with the latter?

I apologize for the little gray quote box. I've got no clue how to get rid of it.

That's why I'm suggesting that they reduce Might instead of breaking it. It would be closer to reality and would be much better balanced.

I'm not sure if it could work against high level weapons (It didn't in TRS), but for the typical Iron/Bronze/Steel etc. weapons which could very well be readily available, I don't think it would be as problematic. Also, I think should they implement this weapon type, they would be as common as berserk staves.

That's why I'm suggesting that they reduce Might instead of breaking it. It would be closer to reality and would be much better balanced.

That would potentially be more balanced, but isn't that what hidden weapons do?
Edited by DeoGame

I could get behind that. That would make an awesome hidden weapon now that I think of it. Yeah, sign me up for reworked weapon breakers.

@DeoGame: Yes, and no. Hidden weapons do debuffs, yes, but so far they target several stats, and last a much shorter time.

Edited by Honey Bunny

I'm not sure if it could work against high level weapons (It didn't in TRS), but for the typical Iron/Bronze/Steel etc. weapons which could very well be readily available, I don't think it would be as problematic. Also, I think should they implement this weapon type, they would be as common as berserk staves.

That would potentially be more balanced, but isn't that what hidden weapons do?

Hidden weapons target a unit's stats, not a weapons stat.

I think it's a terrible idea, and if it was in this game, it would be enough of a reason for me to skip this game altogether.

Besides, how do you break something that's infinitely durable in the first place?

That could make for some interesting encounters. Every weapon hit against you would permanently (or at least for the rest of the level) reduce your weapon might, you would have to devise strategies where you kill them at range and/or allow people with shitty weapons to tank the hits.