Units you would expect to be great if you'd never played their game

Espinosa

And he also comes with Elite as a low level prepromote in a game without level reset. He has a crapton of other awesome skills too, especially the ever-popular "Life or Death". And his class is unaffected by forest tiles. It's also noteable that you just got the extremely powerful Raquel, who shares many of these qualities... but happens to have the significant handicap that she can't finish human enemies off, while Zeek has nothing to limit his ridiculous attributes. This guy really screams "too good to be true".

The only thing that he lacks is that he doesn't start with Canto, which he learns at lv 14. Not that he ever needs to retreat back into formation in the first place.

To be fair, Raquel's inability to kill human makes her phenomenal for helping to baby weaker characters and there are still plenty of monsters for her to deal with. At least from my experience, Raquel is actually better in practice than she seems on paper.

Alec in FE4. He's a mounted unit in FE4 that joins in the first chapter and has pursuit and fairly decent all-around growths. I suppose he could be pretty good with the brave sword, but he has to wait a while for it, and why the hell is he getting a brave sword?

Lott in FE6 coming from later games. He's an axe user ("best weapon type") to offset his not quite stellar strength with an existent speed growth and base.

Donnel. An Est that actually joins early enough to have a shot at being reasonably trainable and has +20 to every growth.

Arkis and Kreiss. Christmas cavs, how bad can they be?

Cherche

Mid-game joining Dracoknight? Sounded like the second coming of Miledy.

Except FEA stats scale faster than Cherche's bases and instead of Miledy's utter dominance I found her most useful as a drop-in ferry/support unit past her join chapter. Hitting some armors was nice, but she's not stellar and especially compared to the ridiculousness that is wyvern!panne, well

Let's just say that by the time Cherche even joins with her sub-20 stats, I've had Panne hit the 30s. No grind, no lowman.

Cherche

Mid-game joining Dracoknight? Sounded like the second coming of Miledy.

Except FEA stats scale faster than Cherche's bases and instead of Miledy's utter dominance I found her most useful as a drop-in ferry/support unit past her join chapter. Hitting some armors was nice, but she's not stellar and especially compared to the ridiculousness that is wyvern!panne, well

Let's just say that by the time Cherche even joins with her sub-20 stats, I've had Panne hit the 30s. No grind, no lowman.

I've written a post before about Cherche's bases. They're actually pretty good, believe it or not.

I've written a post before about Cherche's bases. They're actually pretty good, believe it or not.

I've physically used Cherche (I ran a playthrough with all female units ending in axe-using classes only, so Cherche's use was a must) and while she's serviceable and can do things, she doesn't quite reach the dominance level of Miledy did in FE6, which is what I expected from her before release. She's not a terrible unit, but unless I have runs where I specifically want to use her it's hard to make a slot when I can get Panne to have almost double her stats by join time.

Like she's definitely not bad, she's just not great which is what the title's asking. Expected Miledy, got Zeiss.

Yeah true. Just the sound of "mid game Wyvern" elicits thoughts of legendary ball stompers like Miledy, Cormag, Heath and Jill. I guess Cherche is more comparable to FE12 Minerva.

I don't know if I'd consider Heath a ball stomper. He's pretty good, but he seems more in line with Cherche than Miledy or RD!Haar, if you consider his join time to be midgame.

Edited by bottlegnomes

I don't know if I'd consider Heath a ball stomper. He's pretty good, but he seems more in line with Cherche than Miledy or RD!Haar, if you consider his join time to be midgame.

He's more like PoR Jill and Cormag. He takes like a chapter or 2 to get in shape then his growths take the wheel and he just owns.

FE12 buncha free silvers, particularly Michalis. Especially if you played FE11 before and didn't look at enemy stats for FE12.

Edited by Gradivus.

Ilyana in FE10 really stands out for me.

Good base stats/level. Highest availability/Joins very early. Just seems like a stereotypically great unit at first glance. Would totally be broken with transfer bonuses? Right... right!?

Without knowing thunder Magic, enemy stats, the rate of EXP, what other powerful units the game throws at you (pre-promotes/Nailah etc...), how she sponges any limited EXP from the DB, the availability of enemy dragons, or what her actual availability entails etc... You'd think she would be a great unit.

She's the best example I can think of. A perfect victim of circumstance.

Edited by DLuna

He's more like PoR Jill and Cormag. He takes like a chapter or 2 to get in shape then his growths take the wheel and he just owns.

Looking at it again, Cormag seems about fair, but I wouldn't exactly call either stellar units. (He always seemed easier to make competent. *shrug*) Jill would fall into that category as well were it not for bexp dump. He's good, but outside his HHM bonuses, he's always seemed superfluous.

Edited by bottlegnomes