Fire Emblem If: Pre-download Info

Kirokan

Out of curiosity, does any old sd card do or does it have some specific requirements?

Any SD card should work, and then any micro for the new 3DS. Usually I use sandisk. Just 8 dollars for 16 gigabytes (for the USA). If you are elsewhere, I am sure they will be around the same cost.

Alright thanks, my own sd card is getting full so I was thinking about getting another one. Was just worried about potential compatibility issues.

Worst case scenario I guess I could just pay the extra and buy a hardcopy of both versions. Not ideal but better than the other option, at least for me. Doesn't help much for the third path but hopefully that's smaller and doesn't require you to have bought the other version as DLC (which I doubt, that seems like it'd be a bad business decision).

Yeah, I'm definitely going with the special edition, if I can. Both games on the same physical cartridge? That's perfect.

Yeah I'll do that once it comes to the west. However, I'm not a patient man, and I need to practice my Japanese, so I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone.

Are SD cards region locked by the way? I wouldn't mind having some extra room in case of big DLC.

Yeah I'll do that once it comes to the west. However, I'm not a patient man, and I need to practice my Japanese, so I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone.

Are SD cards region locked by the way? I wouldn't mind having some extra room in case of big DLC.

Nope! I expanded my Japanese 3DS with a SD card I bought in the US. : )

So. I'm also buying the Jp release. I'm curious if the Hoshido path decision/download will be clearly marked, so I don't accidentally grab the wrong one.

I doubt I'll need an sd card as I have nothing else at all on my Jp 3ds. I bought it specifically for IF.

With nintendo removing the booklets from the pakages of games nowadays, is there any reason to buy the physical copies?

To have an actual, physical copy that isn't susceptible to anything random happening to an SD card. It's more physical space, but safer in the long run. Plus, you can re-sell it.

So. I'm also buying the Jp release. I'm curious if the Hoshido path decision/download will be clearly marked, so I don't accidentally grab the wrong one.

I doubt I'll need an sd card as I have nothing else at all on my Jp 3ds. I bought it specifically for IF.

That's dedication! Indeed, I have a feeling it will come down to a menu choice there. Just know the kanji for Hoshido and the kanji for Nohr.

暗夜王国 Nohr

白夜王国 Hoshido

The first characters are the most important as the rest are the same, so 暗 Nohr and 白 Hoshido.

Now hopefully they don't list it in a negative way, such as "Go against Nohr" and "Go against Hoshido" xD Since then if you follow the above you go with the opposite.

To have an actual, physical copy that isn't susceptible to anything random happening to an SD card. It's more physical space, but safer in the long run. Plus, you can re-sell it.

Ah yes, I am not too used to the culture of "re-selling" so I did not consider it. If the SD card goes bad you may always re-download the game again. Understandably it may be difficult in 10-20 years, but I doubt many will be playing the game to the point that it may be a concern by then.

The one thing I'm curious about is whether or not it's possible to hack the pre-purchased file, and learn all the juicy details well before the actual release.

It's never happened before as far as I know, so I would say it is very unlikely. But you never know!

I hope not though, I would hate for them to take away pre-downloading features if people start abusing it. xD

The one thing I'm curious about is whether or not it's possible to hack the pre-purchased file, and learn all the juicy details well before the actual release.

It is not possible:

Yes, a complete copy of the game is downloaded to the SD card.

No, this does not mean it can be hacked -- technically, sure, it can, but not in any of our lifetimes.

The way pre-loading works is that a complete copy of the game is downloaded before release date. On release date, the eshop publishes an 0x10 byte value called the "external seed" -- this value is used to calculate the decryption key for the game, and there's no way to get into the contents of the game without that value. When you download the "small update" on release, your 3ds is really just putting that 16-byte value into its NAND.

Because the eshop doesn't publish that 16-byte seed until the release date, nothing can be done to get into the game before release even though the game's downloadable. You'd have to brute-force a 128-bit value -- this is pretty much impossible to do in any meaningful timeframe.

So how is this third path going to work? is it going to be sold at launch? I'm somewhat lucky as my pal is Japanese and got me a Japanese 3ds for my Birthday.

The third path will be released somewhere down the line as DLC only. It will not be around at release day, unfortunately. : )

I intend to translate the menus and such to let other non-Japanese speaking/reading importers to play it, but story may take a lot of work. I may do character profiles and recruitment methods (if it's more complicated than Awakening's was, that is), but not sure if more than that!

Thanks a lot for your future work :) VincentASM might be interested in adopting your info for the main site, too.

Hopefully someone can use your translations to get a basic menu patch going in the meantime, too.

Thanks a lot for your future work :) VincentASM might be interested in adopting your info for the main site, too.

Hopefully someone can use your translations to get a basic menu patch going in the meantime, too.

I'd be happy to turn menu translations into a patch.

Great! That would be pretty helpful for everyone involved I'm sure. If anybody has a 3DS capture card and is importing the game too, it would be a great help to have screen shots of all the menu varieties so I can transfix a proof of concept right onto the shots too. : )

Everyone who helps translate is such a lifesaver. As someone who is learning Japanese and going to be importing, I'm going to be having to look up enough kanji to make my eyes bleed, so having menu/system stuff translated helps with not wasting so much time up front and being able to dive into the game easier. It's very appreciated! Thanks so much :D

You're totally right about that, unfortunately in my case, I am kind of a hoarder, so if I buy it I will never sell it again even if I don't play it or need the money (Heck I won't even lend something like this).

But, don't take me wrong, I'd prefer the physical copy over the digital one, but in my case I will need most likely to import it to my country from USA and have to wait about 2 weeks to play the game after its release