Famitsu gives the game a 9/9/9/9 score

Kirokan

I don't think the review is up on the scans topic yet, but if anyone is interested in its contents, here's a rough translation. (And I'm sorry for the many horrible sentence constructions it contains.)

Keep in mind that Famitsu reviewers usually aren't as upfront about any faults the game might have as western reviewers would be, so you probably shouldn't take their word for anything more than a general impression.

PLATINUM Hall of fame

Fire Emblem Fates
Birthright & Conquest

Target audience
- Fans of strategy games
- People who have played a Fire Emblem game before

Average playtime
- Depends on your play style 

YOSHIDA: An extremely high-quality SRPG in every sense of the word! The split into two different routes makes for a particularly interesting novelty feature, as it isn't simply a matter of a different story with a different cast of characters. The path of Hoshido, which allows grinding, and the path of Nohr, which offers extra depth through the limited resources available to the player, each have a distinct flavour of their own. The fact that you can lower the difficulty setting whenever you want, making the game accessible to a broad range of players, is another plus in my book. New features such as 'Dragon Vein' and 'Attack Stance / Guard Stance' add some nice extra spice. -- 9

ASHIDA: I enjoyed the sheer variety of elements that tie into the strategic decisions the player has to make, such as the effects of Attack Stance and Guard Stance, weapon types and the friendships between the units. Turning the situation around by changing the terrain using "Dragon Vein" is also pretty neat. The game offers a very smooth experience, as the controls involve no unnecessary hassle whatsoever. For example, selecting an appropriate action for the square you moved the cursor to doesn't even require you to open a menu. The story managed to draw me in right from the very beginning as well, and acquiring new units and strengthening their bonds is very enjoyable. -- 9

NAMUKO: The game turns out to meet the monumental expectations. The turn-based combat offers a satisfying experience, in terms of both gameplay and presentation, and makes the survival of your comrades feel truly important. Forging bonds between your characters is a staple of this series, and features like Attack Stance and the 'touch events' in 'My Room' make this element even more prominent in this installment. Some parts of 'My Castle', a new feature that allows you to build a castle for yourself and your comrades, do feel somewhat rushed, but the feature as a whole is fluidly integrated into the game's progression and contributes to its overall enjoyment. -- 9

TOTSUKA: I like how information about units and weapon stats and characteristics is displayed in a very intuitive fashion on the field and the status screen. The fact that you can build your strategies around your favourite units or couples is another appealing characteristic of this game. Those who plan to play the game for the story should be warned that you will want to play both versions in the end, as the two routes are intricately connected in terms of the relationships between the characters. -- 9

Edited by Icy Toast

36/40? That's a bit low for Famitsu.

Umn, it's literally tied for the highest score that Famitsu has ever given a Fire Emblem game.

Also, thanks for the translation Icy Toast!

Interesting. "The fact that you can build your strategies around your favourite units or couples is another appealing characteristic of this game." Wonder if they mean couples as in romantic couples, or just couples as in supported units/friends?

Umn, it's literally tied for the highest score that Famitsu has ever given a Fire Emblem game.

Also, thanks for the translation Icy Toast!

Interesting. "The fact that you can build your strategies around your favourite units or couples is another appealing characteristic of this game." Wonder if they mean couples as in romantic couples, or just couples as in supported units/friends?

I was lampooning how inflated Famitsu scores typically are; if Puzzles and Dragons: Mario Edition can get a 38/40, while Xenoblade X gets a 34/40,...