Regarding Texas

Eail

now i don't think this is a good attitude to have; the south has a fuckton of minorities, many of whom are destitute and are not particularly mobile. texas, for instance, is a minority-majority state that has over 3.1 million african-americans and over 9.6 million latinos, whereas georgia has over 3 million african-americans and almost 900,000 latinos, and these states have rapidly-increasing minority populations. over 37% of mississippi's population is also black.

i don't find it morally conscionable to just subject a lot of these people to apartheid south africa 2: electric boogaloo.

That's why we'd need to make an effort to aid in evacuating them all to the North. I know that such an effort would never happen due to enough assholes in the North not wanting to spend our resources to save people, but it's not like secession will ever actually happen either (it's just a thing Texas threatens every few years when they don't get their way).

i always love it when someone says "i'm not prejudiced/racist/sexist/whatever" then immediately follows up with something which shows them to be exactly that.

the minority rarely changes the majority through willpower alone. i don't think you need to worry. it seems you're more resentful that they even think their way is better than yours.

i always love it when someone says "i'm not prejudiced/racist/sexist/whatever" then immediately follows up with something which shows them to be exactly that.

the minority rarely changes the majority through willpower alone. i don't think you need to worry. it seems you're more resentful that they even think their way is better than yours.

What brought that on?

Don't really think Texas would be able to make it nearly as well as they do now if they left the union. That being said, if they did decide to secede, I'd move to another state probably on the west coast.

Isn't "Yankee" an offensive term?

It usually depends on context, but in this case, it is offensive. ...Or at least it offends me as someone from the East Coast, but I digress.

Personally, I find it hilarious that Texas originally begged to become a state and is now threatening to secede from the United States... again.

Texas was its own nation before it became a state, I am a proud Daughter of the Former Colony of Spain: Mexico and I love my state an am proud of my heritage, but I don't think we will do anything at all and that this just talk.

Small history lesson for everyone: Texas was originally inhabited by Native Americans (who are arguably the original Texans), was subsequently colonized by Spain, fought a war with Spain to obtain independence from Spain, became part of Mexico (also arguably original Texans), decided that it didn't like Mexico anymore, fought for independence from Mexico, and then decided to become its own nation for all of ten(10) years before finally becoming a state after much pestering (which is surprising considering the people there were mostly cattle ranchers and the draw to Texas was so that they could start a new life and wipe away their former criminal records.)

...Now that I think about it, it sounds an awful lot like Australia, minus wildlife trying to kill you 24/7.

Joking matters aside, every state used to think of itself as a proper nation with its own currency, taxes, etc. Though we were called the United States of America, it functioned more like the United Nations of America.

From a northern perspective, it seems pretty ridiculous that they're trying to secede again, but southern states are very stubborn about holding onto state rights (because apparently they're constantly being taken from them) and tend to uphold state laws over national law. See: Brown vs Board of Education, which took over 10 years to actually implement because the governors and communities hated it so much. It was less of an equality/race issue to them and more of a "damn Yankees telling us what to do again, where are my rights?!" issue.

As for my proper opinion on the matter, let Texans do what they want to do. Maybe if they left we'll actually properly look into renewable energy on a larger scale instead of trying to extract fossil fuels, which we know are in finite quantities. Oil booms tend to burst within a few decades, and advancing technology in fossil fuel extraction just means we're going to deplete those sources even faster. I personally hate fracking, because the environmental detriments, to me, far outstrips the benefits of having natural gas, and this was a big issue where I live. The shale in which the natural gas was contained was also right by our aquifers (natural, underground filters that keeps our drinking water clean and so we don't have to build huge water processing facilities) and would thus contaminate these waters. I hate the arid climate of Texas (and so did everyone else before air conditioners were in widespread use), so it's really not a huge issue for me (unless I try to visit Eail on a road trip and get stopped for my passport.)

We lp, the history lesson was spot on. Let me expand on it. Yeah, Texas gained independence from Mexico in the first place because a bunch of slaveholders from the US moved there to own slaves, but didn't get the memo that slavery was banned. So they bitched about it for a while, declared independence, and won because the whole thing was a plan organized by the megalomaniacal Manifest Destiny plan, which today would get you thrown in a jail cell in The Hague, but back then raised a few eyebrows in Europe, but they were too busy dealing with revolutions that were ultimately crushed it give a fuck. So yeah, Texas was a nation founded on slavery to support the goals of a megalomaniacal nation in its crusade to stretch from sea to shining sea through genocide of both natives and Mexicans. I am SFs self proclaimed history expert!

Edited by blah2127

Also, Texas has a great deal of autonomy. Why the hell would Texans insist on separation?

Many countries in the EU (like the one I live in) are roughly comparable to Texas in terms of autonomy, and the fairly recent rise of eurosceptic parties speaks of the discontent towards lack of such. For example, Finland is often claimed to have been far more autonomous as part of the Russian Empire, of all things!

I'm not necessarily like-minded with these particular groups, but neither am I surprised that similar calls for autonomy have surfaced in Texas.

Edited by Topazd

"Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements."

Finland could still legally leave the EU. Texas couldn't really leave the U.S.A.

"Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements."

Finland could still legally leave the EU. Texas couldn't really leave the U.S.A.

That is true, but in terms of the power of their own legislature these countries are often compared with say, any state of the US. Admittedly I wouldn't be able to define what the exact similarities and differences are (or even affirm the truth of these claims), but that is a part of the anti-EU rhetoric of these parties. I'm not particularly against the union myself, so I haven't really bothered with all this.

But yeah, my post was a bit poorly worded. Point being, when eurosceptism is such a prominent movement today (and lack of autonomy is a central theme in the movement), I'm not surprised to see something akin to that being a thing in Texas.

Edited by Topazd

Small history lesson for everyone: Texas was originally inhabited by Native Americans (who are arguably the original Texans), was subsequently colonized by Spain, fought a war with Spain to obtain independence from Spain, became part of Mexico (also arguably original Texans), decided that it didn't like Mexico anymore, fought for independence from Mexico, and then decided to become its own nation for all of ten(10) years before finally becoming a state after much pestering (which is surprising considering the people there were mostly cattle ranchers and the draw to Texas was so that they could start a new life and wipe away their former criminal records.)

...Now that I think about it, it sounds an awful lot like Australia, minus wildlife trying to kill you 24/7.

don't forget that plenty of settlers in texas were southerners who brought slaves with them, and that wasn't kosher with the mexican government, which had already abolished it; the freedom to own other people was a pretty big sticking point in the texan rebellion too

Edited by I.M. Gei

don't forget that plenty of settlers in texas were southerners who brought slaves with them, and that wasn't kosher with the mexican government, which had already abolished it; the freedom to own other people was a pretty big sticking point in the texan rebellion too

Plus it was almost certainly encouraged by the US government; basically they did to Mexico what Putin is now doing to Ukraine.

• 4 weeks later...