Amazon reviews. Not looking too good.

Frostheat

^

^

Ouch!

Has anyone played the game(The Tales game) to see the reviews are warranted though?

It's totally not warranted at all. Just stupid people who couldn't interpret advertising very well. I followed the games advertising, and they were just trying to keep the story under wraps so the player got a surprise while playing. But people got unneccessarily mad because of their OWN lack of understanding. It was silly.

And because of that, I just ignore Amazon reviews in general. Lol

I've been reading that Nohr's plot is terrible and a mess... I hope that's not true.

They don't even start trying to revolutionize Nohr until almost the very end of the game??? They just keep following Garon's orders all that time... Is that true? I so hope not.

I've been reading that Nohr's plot is terrible and a mess... I hope that's not true.

Spoiler ()

It's a bit more complicated than that.

Yes, they don't openly rebel against Garon until the very end of the game. But, there are many theories as to why they wait so long, ranging from abuse (the siblings have been emotionally abused by Garon for so long that they no longer had the willpower to resist him) to mere disbelief (that he was doing anything bad). The most popular theory is that a huge chunk of the Nohr storyline was taken out at the last minute in order to save more story surprises for the Third Route, and the writers didn't have enough time to fill in the details. At any rate, even just merely going on what we saw at Nintendo Treehouse, the localizers seem to be doing a better job of putting everything into place so that it makes sense, including putting things from the Third Route back into the Nohr route. I'm actually cautiously optimistic that they seem to know what they're doing and will make it a much better game.

Edited by Sky Soldier

Tale of Zestiria fiasco had me scared a bit, I hope that the negativity won't affect the sales or the series in general. Even if in the end the sales is good, Fates can undo what Awakening did for the series. I hope for the best.

Japanese Amazon=king of nitpicks. Monster Hunter 4 G/Ultimate has 1 and 1/2 stars on there, 4 and 1/2 here.

Where the norm for Western Amazon seems to be try and praise things as much as possible, a game is doing amazing if it gets 3 or more stars on the Japan site.

It's true that there are a lot of idiots on Amazon who give 1-star reviews for the product not having shipped on time or other stupid shit like that. But that doesn't mean you should completely dismiss the reviews either, especially when most of us can't even read them. It hurts my head too much to read through the reviews in detail, but from what I can gather, many of the things they mention are similar to the things that players on this forum have said.

It's a bit more complicated than that.

Yes, they don't openly rebel against Garon until the very end of the game. But, there are many theories as to why they wait so long, ranging from abuse (the siblings have been emotionally abused by Garon for so long that they no longer had the willpower to resist him) to mere disbelief (that he was doing anything bad). The most popular theory is that a huge chunk of the Nohr storyline was taken out at the last minute in order to save more story surprises for the Third Route, and the writers didn't have enough time to fill in the details. At any rate, even just merely going on what we saw at Nintendo Treehouse, the localizers seem to be doing a better job of putting everything into place so that it makes sense, including putting things from the Third Route back into the Nohr route. I'm actually cautiously optimistic that they seem to know what they're doing and will make it a much better game.

I thought the Nohr Treehouse footage was pretty good. Maybe they can work wonders. I hope so.

They don't even start trying to revolutionize Nohr until almost the very end of the game??? They just keep following Garon's orders all that time... Is that true? I so hope not.

Yeah, it's basically the Dawn Brigade chapters from Radiant Dawn all over again.

Most the amazon reviews express disappointment in that the game was not what they expected (for both Black and White). Others lament the changes that have been made since Awakening. These are mostly 2-3 star reviews still. Gameplay, music, and graphics are rarely talked about in a negative light, and most of them are complaining about third path story significance among other things.

I assume these are older series fans going by how a lot of them talk about how the game changed after Awakening.

The most voted "negative" review is a three star one that expresses disappointment in what the game promised in terms of story and characters, but did not say too many negative things about the gameplay/music/graphics. Some issues with fan pandering, too, and making it like Awakening in some ways which they said they wouldn't.

Looking around, most of them revolve around the above, as others say. Complaints of Kamui and story are the two big ones.

In contrast, positive ones are praising the gameplay, music, graphics, accessibility to old and new players alike, making optional features to make it more fun to more people, adding a variety of challenges (for Nohr), etc. Remember, it is not all negative.

Most of the posts I read have valid arguments, and are certainly more in depth than troll ones you see in the west. As I (and another) said before, please do not disregard them completely, as they are pretty passionate fans as we are, too. : )

Edited by Kirokan

Huh, I knew that Kamui's personality has gotten alot of criticism but the story as well? Well, I did avoid most story spoilers but still, that's dissapointing to hear.

Awakening on the same site has much better reviews though. Mostly 5 and 4 stars.

Awakening has been out for a while and there are a hell of a lot more reviews for it then for Fates so I don't think that's something you should consider too much just yet.