Class promotions animations not displaying

Rickochet

I've been messing with the class promotions in FE7 and something weird showed up.

Is it normal for only characters to be able to have a promotion animation? Examples: If I gave Kent a Knight Crest, he promotes normally, but if I gave a generic a knights crest, the promotion screen hangs after the animation, if it even plays.

So if this is the case how do I make custom classes promote and have their animations play correctly? I tried changing the battle pointer for generics and characters but that also results in no animation during the promotion item use. I have also changed some of the settings in the promotion item editor to see if anything changes but no results.

Does anyone know anything about this that could tell me why this happens? I am basically trying to set up the promotion path for characters in FE7 but with one twist, each character regardless of class has their own unique promotion. What this means is that say I have a female cavalier character and a male cavalier character, the female will become a paladin as normal but the cavalier will become a great knight. This is all for story purposes so that aside, any help would be greatly appreciated.

... I suspect it has something to do with character portraits honestly. try changing that generic character's portrait value to something non-generic?

It works with character portrait-ed characters, but whenever I change their class to a custom class everything stops working, no animations play. Why is this?

Like I try to make my soldier promote to a custom class halberdier or a thief promote to a custom class rogue, the animation with all the thunder effects and stat ups don't display. Are there any nightmare settings I need to change besides telling the ROM via nightmare what class who and what promotes to, and what item to use. ?