~Fates Character Discussion~ >.<

Uchu~

I AM WARNING YOU RIGHT NOW, IF YOU ARE TRYING TO AVOID SPOILERS, DO NOT READ THIS THREAD!

Now to the actual thread!~

I personally dislike how they brought back some of the children in Awakening as clones with different names in Fates. I can see how they would have trouble coming up with a ton of new ideas for characters but resorting to taking them from past games and just renaming them is a no! Thank god there's only 4 I think? Correct me if I'm wrong though. Other than that I like the characters in this game. It seems as if they all have unique designs, aside from the clones of course, that really stand out. My favorites being Nishiki, Leon (Leo localized), and Takumi. In this game they didnt focus on one main design theme, everyone really has their own style which really adds more of a flair to the game. In past games most of the same class would have the same style of wear just colors changed, in this game every unit has their own style, aside from the generic units of course. I especially like how they chose to have Elise wear some pink mixed in with her clothes, it really shows off her personality a lot more than if she was just wearing generic every day Nohr clothing. Of course for Hoshido they took the more Japanese-style of clothing although I like how they didn't just give everyone a kimono and call it a day, they actually put thought into the clothing of the characters. No offense to you Sakura fans, she looks so kawaii in her red and white kimono!~ Some of these things may be stupid and your probably thinking, "Really, they've done this before", but I think they really emphasized it in this game and done a lot more with each character, basically they put each character to the max with their personality and clothing. Overall I think the characters in this game are really well designed and I can clearly see that Nintendo and IS put a lot of thought into each character. The only flaw about the characters is I think some characters took a little bit too much of the spotlight in the game. Some characters had a bigger role in the story, when I think another character could have replaced them during that certain scene and made the story just a little bit better. !~Now, lets start the discussion~!

I AM WARNING YOU RIGHT NOW, IF YOU ARE TRYING TO AVOID SPOILERS, DO NOT READ THIS THREAD!

I personally dislike how they brought back some of the children in Awakening as clones with different names in Fates. I can see how they would have trouble coming up with a ton of new ideas for characters but resorting to taking them from past games and just renaming them is a no! Thank god there's only 4 I think? Correct me if I'm wrong though. Other than that I like the characters in this game. It seems as if they all have unique designs, aside from the clones of course, that really stand out. My favorites being Nishiki, Leon (Leo localized), and Takumi. In this game they didnt focus on one main design theme, everyone really has their own style which really adds more of a flair to the game. In past games most of the same class would have the same style of wear just colors changed, in this game every unit has their own style, aside from the generic units of course. I especially like how they chose to have Elise wear some pink mixed in with her clothes, it really shows off her personality a lot more than if she was just wearing generic every day Nohr clothing. Of course for Hoshido they took the more Japanese-style of clothing although I like how they didn't just give everyone a kimono and call it a day, they actually put thought into the clothing of the characters. No offense to you Sakura fans, she looks so kawaii in her red and white kimono!~ Some of these things may be stupid and your probably thinking, "Really, they've done this before", but I think they really emphasized it in this game and done a lot more with each character, basically they put each character to the max with their personality and clothing. Overall I think the characters in this game are really well designed and I can clearly see that Nintendo and IS put a lot of thought into each character. The only flaw about the characters is I think some characters took a little bit too much of the spotlight in the game. Some characters had a bigger role in the story, when I think another character could have replaced them during that certain scene and made the story just a little bit better. !~Now, lets start the discussion~!

But if more characters were important to the story then it would just lead to lot of unnecessary retreats like every single mother character in awakening

I personally dislike how they brought back some of the children in Awakening as clones with different names in Fates. I can see how they would have trouble coming up with a ton of new ideas for characters but resorting to taking them from past games and just renaming them is a no! Thank god there's only 4 I think?

<snip>

The three 'clones' aren't clones. They actually are Inigo, Owain and Severa. It is mentioned in some of there supports.

The three awakening clones are on the Hoshido side - Matoi, Syalla and Gurei. They are clones of Cordelia, Tharja and Gaius. They are the children of Tsubaki, Tsukuyomi and Saizou.

That being said, I don't mind Inigo, Owain and Severa being in the game because they aren't clones, but having Matoi, Syalla and Gurei in the game is just taking it too far. I was going to marry Tsubaki, but I don't want Matoi in my game. So Kanna will be an only child. As for Saizou and Tsukuyomi, they will never be married to anyone.

So basically, Hinokaizbae's points and the replies boil down to a few things. Let's see...

Good design, not falling under "generic Hoshido" and "generic Nohr"

I do mostly agree, although I hope a few classes could variate a bit more. Now I have three Dark Mages wearing more or less the same thing.

In terms of design elements other than their outfits, I'd say that I like how the characters have their own animations. From what I have seen, Charlotte and Midoriko have animations that aren't the same as the enemies in their classes. Maybe there are more of those. Awakening had fewer such examples, I think.

Recurring characters from Nohr

I don't really this is a good thing -- I was opposed to "connecting" the various Fire Emblem worlds from the very beginning. But since they're there anyway, I kinda wished they'd bring Brady over as well, who was depicted as a good friend with the other two.

Recurring characters from Hoshido

That's too blatant, I agree. I find it rather weird, seeing that they're child characters with variable hair colours. And if they are... reincarnated, it sounds rather cheap to me.

Characters taking too much spotlight

It's better this time, actually. Zero appears in Ophelia's sidequest, both Zero and Odin show up when they meet Leon again in the Nohr route, and so on. Yeah, they're still not giving everyone FE4-kind of attention given the small amount of characters in each side, but it's better than the original FE1/3 and FE5. ("It's been so long since I saw you, Asvel! I'll shove you to the side and never talk to you for the rest of our journey.")

I don't know how certain characters are replaceable to make the story work better. I get what you mean, but I don't have any particular example that comes to mind.

I'm about half-way done in Nohr, and I think the characters are well-made for the most part. Merits include the characters don't feel forgettable at all, and having enemies that feel more personal (don't know about the Invisible route yet).

On the other hand, I feel that the characters' personalities are undermined a bit to fit the system -- that's pretty much my only complaint, and is jone of the few things that actually got worse from Awakening. The offenders are the My Castle events and mother-child support, and I'll have Belka as an example: she asks Kamui if he wants to be assassinated in the hot spring (who built the hot spring without segregation, anyway?), and she somehow picked up the hobby of flower planting as Zophie's mother. That's two things I don't expect from a largely emotionless killer. Other things include people who don't like accessories asking for one anyway, although some of this is addressed (giving Pieri headwear will make her reject it because she thinks her own is better).

But it's still largely a better set of characters than Awakening had. I don't blame the character designs, rather I just think whoever wrote those non-story text weren't considerate enough.