Fanfic Writers - Want to play your fanfic in-game?

luyairis

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to do it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Although many people might already know about this...

While working on the FE:if fan translation, naturally, I got to learn about the code. And surprisingly, editing it to what you want is, well, very simple. Simple enough that you could be up and off implementing your own script in under an hour. (Actually applying the patch is a different case).

I'm just wondering if any fanfic writers here are interested in doing such a project. If there is enough interest, I'll write an entire guide on how to do so. (I won't write a fanfic myself ofc).

Notes:

- A "script" of all chapters will be provided after the fan translation is complete.

- The coding is very similar to what you can use in FEITS - the guide can be found here.

- Whether or not your 3DS can actually use your own patch is an advanced matter. More on that later.

- It may seem obvious, but you can edit EVERY aspect of the game - any conversations, any item names, etc... you can add characters, remove them, etc. This works for all items, chapters, and supports.

Edit1: I should make this more clear, but you'll edit the text files on your computer, then patch it back onto your 3DS.

Edited by luyairis

Not for the sake of writing a fanfic per-se, but I think it might be an interesting challenge to see how much one can remedy in the plot if they only change the text. Granted, I doubt my 3DS has the capacity to do this, as I lack the ability to do any homebrew because the stupid thing is ONE version past the threshold for installing it... grrr....

Not for the sake of writing a fanfic per-se, but I think it might be an interesting challenge to see how much one can remedy in the plot if they only change the text. Granted, I doubt my 3DS has the capacity to do this, as I lack the ability to do any homebrew because the stupid thing is ONE version past the threshold for installing it... grrr....

Same, I"d love to see this.

I would love to see this! Only problem is I don't actually own the game or a Japanese 3DS ... but if you can do it with the English Release as well I would be all over doing this! (I must have Iago as a playable character :"D ).

I would love to see this! Only problem is I don't actually own the game or a Japanese 3DS ... but if you can do it with the English Release as well I would be all over doing this! (I must have Iago as a playable character :"D ).

Mmm...getting the patcher to work with the English version wouldn't be very hard, I would imagine. I'll ask Scires about it (since the game is probably similar to Awakening in terms of code)

Making Iago as a playable character...that would take a lot of extra resources, but seeing as our group can make dlc for If....well I wouldn't dismiss the idea.

Mmm...getting the patcher to work with the English version wouldn't be very hard, I would imagine. I'll ask Scires about it (since the game is probably similar to Awakening in terms of code)

Making Iago as a playable character...that would take a lot of extra resources, but seeing as our group can make dlc for If....well I wouldn't dismiss the idea.

Ok, cool. :) Thanks for asking.

Also I would literally worship the ground the patcher works on for an Iago DLC. My thirst is too strong ...

Once again, thanks. :3 I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

I don't think I would ever be able to...but that is CRAZY! Whoa...there are limitless possibilities if this works out well. I can hardly imagine what it would be like to play this kind of game! Ah, it's exciting :D

I'd love to do this, really. Although, it'd be a mix of enabling same-sex marriage and making an original story with the same maps. I'd assume it'd still be able to connect with other copies of FEif due to failsafe coding, oui?

Edited by Eldin Tokuro

Probably should shit this to here.

I'd love to do this, really. Although, it'd be a mix of enabling same-sex marriage and making an original story with the same maps. I'd assume it'd still be able to connect with other copies of FEif due to failsafe coding, oui?

What do you mean by "connecting" ?

Enabling same-sex marriage would take some changing in the standard code. Depends on if the techs in our translation group are down to figure that out.

What do you mean by "connecting" ?

I think they mean like going on WiFi and such. To which the answer is 99% that it probably should be fine, I can't see any reason why not, if it's just text changes. Stuff like supports might cause desync issues or similar problems, though.

I think they mean like going on WiFi and such. To which the answer is 99% that it probably should be fine, I can't see any reason why not, if it's just text changes. Stuff like supports might cause desync issues or similar problems, though.

Um...if you're talking about like streetpass and online/local/wireless battles, no, they won't be affected. If the English translation patch hasn't messed it up, then the fanfic won't mess it up either.