Best Weapon Type through the games

Rehab

Kind of a flawed discussion topic since axes are so much better in RD than in Holy War and all that similar stuff game to game, but anyway discuss.

Even if swords are better, axes will always be better.

Mystery: Swords are probably the best because of their light weight. Lances and axes are a little heavy, which can potentially impede double attacks. Axes also suffer from a very limited selection.

Genealogy: Is pretty much the same as Mystery, except lances and axes are even heavier. Axes are especially bad because there is only one that is actually worth using.

FEGBA and Beyond: Axes are awesome. They have the best offense and I've never found accuracy to be a problem.

FE4: Swords and bows were good friends of mine.

FE5: I've only started, but axes are owning everything.

FE6-8: Magic generally. Axe users generally start out worse than others, but end up great.

FE9-10: Can't really say... I've found great use of all of them except knives and laguz.

FE3: Swords and Magic

FE4: Sword and Wind Magic

FE5: Axes and Wind Magic

FE6: Axes, Bows, Anima Magic (Aircalibur in particular).

FE7: Axes, Dark Magic (not sure on this one though).

FE8: Light magic if used by bishops, Axes.

FE9: Axes, Thunder Magic.

FE10: Axes, Wind Magic.

FE11: Axes (early and light Devil Axe) and Magic.

Why do axes in series usually get overlooked. I think they're good . . .if your name is either Othlin or Lex.

FE3: Swords and Wind-Type Magic

FE4: Swords and Wind-Magic

FE5: Axes since they actually hit and Wind Magic

FE6: Spears and Axes.

4: wind

6: axes/anima

7: axes

9: axes

10: axes

From 6 through 10 (and I'm assuming 8, too, but I haven't played it), axes win, with the gap getting bigger and bigger with each game.

In 6, swords come pretty close since weapon hit is overall lower than in other games, and the hit gap between axes and swords is bigger, but killer axes are available before killer anything else, the most dangerous enemies (wyverns, cavaliers) use lances, and swords have next to nothing for 1-2 range. I would say that swords are best for slaying bosses while axes are overall better for the rest of the enemies. Anima is another contender. It's more accurate and hits the overall lower res stat, but it's also weaker (8 vs 11->15) and lacks +crit options (5 vs 30), which is especially important in hard mode, where killing things in two hits without a crit is often very difficult or impossible. But then anima also has aircalibur for those wyverns and negating the higher res on pegs. And then it has 1-2 range on everything but also lacks the +1 def and 10 avo vs said wyverns and pegs (and cavaliers).

In 7, weapon hit is overall higher than in 6, the hit gap between axes and swords is lower, and enemies have less avoid (lol 0 luck...as well as lower AS), so axes' lower hit is usually almost negligible. Anima gets buffed a bit (2 more atk) but also nerfed (lack of aircalibur, and elfire is quite heavy). With the difference in hit losing most of its significance, axes' competition is weaker than in 6.

In 9, anima gets nerfed again (Thunder has 4 mt vs FE7 Fire's 5; Elthunder = 7 mt, vs FE7 Thunder's 8) while axes get buffed at silver (silver axe = 16 mt vs FE7's 15. Lances get this buff, too, but not swords). Also, only E level anima tomes can be forged, while axes can be forged all the way up to silver.

In 10, physical weapons overall get buffed (addition of the poleaxe/greatlance/etc. lines, steel's hit is higher), axes and lances get a hit boost, and hand axes get uberbuffed (+2 mt and +10 more hit on top of the +5 for axes overall)

Oh, and axes are also consistently the least expensive.

Edited by Reikken