SF Music Geeks Club Mk. 2

peener weener

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was test week this week and last week for me, so it was just bad timing. HOWEVER, I have nothing else planned for the rest of the week and a relatively lax class schedule so I'm gonna shoot for posting my thoughts on Friday.

Edit: hey i kinda sorta did it on time

[spoiler=thoughts]

Panda Bear- Person Pitch

I noticed two things pretty quickly about the album. The first thing was that Lennox's vocals on this album seemed quite similar to a certain other group I had heard before that I couldn't pinpoint until I skimmed the comments as per my habit, and it was then that I saw the Beach Boys connection. And I like it. Not much else to say there- the vocal style is comfortable and pleasant. The second thing was that I can't listen to the album without headphones, at least not with any of my current listening set ups. When I tried to do so, the melody was often overpowered by the samples, especially the noisier ones, and that hurt the experience. Luckily my first impressions were with headphones so I can say that the balance is really well done and everything goes together well compositionally and dynamically. That digression aside, I like that the constant echoing and the general lack of dissonance. Some of the samples are little startling but not enough to take you out of the experience; rather, some of them drew me back in after I had drifted off. All in all, another great album and especially great as a whole. Do I actually have anything meaningful to say about it? lol

Favorites: Take Pills, Ponytail, I'm Not, Comfortable in Nautica

King Crimson- Discipline

This album has been simmering on my mind for a bit but I somehow am still struggling to find words to describe it. It's loose and airy where it needs to be and tight everywhere else, the spoken lyrics are as engaging as the sung ones, the various lines are well balanced and rhythmically complex, and the composition and playing are both quite obviously technically proficient. They demonstrate how repetition doesn't have to be boring and irritating to the listener(I especially love the background percussion in The Sheltering Sky), and even the more chill songs evolve into something deeper and entrancing as they progress. What Gaia said- "it's definitely something different-" completely holds true. and thus ends my ramble

Favorites: The Sheltering Sky, Elephant Talk, Frame by Frame, Thela Hun Ginjeet

Really glad I got to experience and will continue to experience both of these albums.

Edited by Ambling Falchion

week 5 #thoughts at the buzzer wow nothing but net
[spoiler=Panda Bear - Person Pitch]Animal Collective had one of the most compelling discographies of the 00's, but their shining moment is Person Pitch, a solo album by resident tenor Panda Bear. The album recasts childhood and nostalgia as lenses through which we can examine adulthood, and vice versa. "Comfy in Nautica" is a sunny blast of pop music that questions what it is to be cool, only to cut off the inquiry with menacing drone as if casting these silly thoughts aside. On "Take Pills," Panda Bear comes to appreciate rather than loathe the anti-depressants he used to be dependent on. The celebratory crackle of fireworks on album standout "Bros" feels weightier after 10 minutes of telling his brother to (kindly) give him some space (if he wouldn't mind) (also if his brother wouldn't mind growing up a bit, that would be great). "I'm Not" is as pretty and gentle a song as you'll find, and it depicts a quarter-life crisis. Panda Bear's vision is perspective, and it's cleanly executed on each of 7 tracks. He's a Mature Adult flexing his newly acquired Mature Adult perspective. Even the sound of the album is a bit of a flex; hard, professional work is required to make an album this pretty and focused out of seemingly random scraps. The inherent nostalgia of an album that sounds like Brian Wilson sprinkled with snapshots of childhood - there's a freaking skateboard sample - just might throw people off the scent. And the inherent resourcefulness of an album built on samples - again, skateboard, etc. - lends itself perfectly for a dump of nostalgia that its artist has no practical use for. Person Pitch is the best sort of brain dump, basically, is the thesis I'm going with. It's the anti-nostalgia reaction to being forced to grow up suddenly and the fear of being unprepared for parenthood. Nothing has ever been cast aside with such care.
This is one of my favorite albums and has been for some time, so the less-#deep observations (e.g. "this music sounds pretty") tend to get brushed aside, and I wind up trying to go #deep-er. Sometimes "this music sounds pretty" isn't enough to get me to care. I think Person Pitch is one of my most-played albums because it covers several angles of entry: pretty sounds for when I want to lie back; memorable pop for when I need a hook to latch on to; consistently good writing for when I want to be attentive; and artistic vision for when I want to be attentive and then get lost in thought.
Favorite tracks: Bros, Comfy in Nautica, I'm Not
Similar albums: Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective, Since I Left You by The Avalanches

[spoiler=King Crimson - Discipline]It's hard for me to write about Discipline without devolving into 1) A lecture on how great the band Talking Heads was, and/or 2) A series of bad music-geek jokes at the expense of prog rock. For me, the subgenre of prog rock is cool kid Robert Fripp, affable nerd Peter Gabriel, and occasionally emotive robots Pink Floyd surrounded by low-hanging fruit (Did you hear Geddy Lee was rushed to the hospital for a helium overdose? Rock stars are so wild). Luckily, Robert Fripp *is* King Crimson, so I get to be relatively nice. On Discipline, Fripp is joined by singer and co-lead guitarist Adrian Belew, who I remember for his work with Talking Heads; he's the guy responsible for the wacky guitar solos on Remain in Light. I bring this up because about half of Discipline sounds like Remain in Light bonus tracks (or Fear of Music album tracks). Belew brings his new wave guitar playing - that jangle you hear is the 80's - and damned accurate David Byrne impression, and Fripp brings grounded virtuosity. Even with the added complexity, there is a slight bit of an uncanny valley vibe that I can't shake. "Elephant Talk" sounds like Belew's audition tape for Talking Heads in the event that their internal strife pushed David Byrne out the door and onto, say, Brian Eno's couch. Though again, I'll clarify that it sounds good; the tension and stress of the song do connect, and it's white-boy funky. Ditto for "Thela Hun Ginjeet." Where the album distinguishes itself a little bit is in the math. I can't think of an earlier example of a rock album that handled mathematical arrangements as smoothly. I call Robert Fripp the cool kid of his scene because his virtuosity has always felt like a statement, in a "fuck false modesty" kind of way, but he manages to keep things somewhat grounded. A good Fripp album is a palatable succession of guitar sounds bound together by his control of them, and Discipline is a pretty good, pretty palatable one. Its biggest problem is that he was at the height of his powers and nonetheless ceded too much of the songwriting control to Belew. In addition to the Talking Heads biting, Matte Kudasai is virtually all Belew, and it feels out of place. So I can't wrap my arms around this album, but I respect it somewhat. Other prog bands swan dived into the 80's with much lesser results (Did you hear Geddy Lee was rushed to the hospital for an unfortunate swan diving accident? Rock stars are so wild).
Favorite tracks: Elephant Talk, Thela Hun Ginjeet, Discipline
Similar albums: Remain in Light and Fear of Music by Talking Heads. Seriously, if you liked this album at all, listen to Remain in Light

tl;dr i like the album i nominated more than the other one, shocked face :o

Edited by Dijon Mustard

.... Let's just pretend I posted my thoughts on time, shall we? Hahahahahah....... Yeah...

[spoiler=Was it worth the wait? I don't know, but I hope you like my thoughts]Panda Bear - Person Pitch

I just wanted to say firstly that the album cover to me basically describes what this album sounds like perfectly. Now obviously, the first thing you'll notice is Beach Boys feel from this album, but I also hear a bit of (later, psychedelic) Beatles in here too, and, while this may not be an influence on the band, but I think they influenced them, somewhat of Tame Impala. The album sounds pretty much like a collage of sounds, which obviously, every album is, but it's more apparent here, but I think it suits the album in the way it's... I guess controlled chaos (I'm not sure this is the right term), considering the excessive use of samples, even some seeming to be almost entirely samples. It all sounds very ambient to me, and while ambient usually implies a lack of movement and equal listenablity and ignorablity, I don't really feel that "ethereal" would be a proper term, since I throw it around all the time anyway. Now, one standout I want to mention is the vocals, which might sound obvious, but, the way they use them by sort of mixing them into the background and sort of blending in with the music, but also they manage to still distinguish from the music reminds me a lot of Giles Corey's S/T'd debut album, which uses the same technique. The standout track for me would have to be (somewhat unpopularly) Good Girl / Carrots, which (gosh, I'm using this word a lot today) is a bit more... chaotic than the rest of the album. In the end, I could actually see myself listening (and even buying) to this album again, and I well definitely check out their other work along with Animal Collective.

Highlights: Good Girl / Carrots, I'm Not, Comfy In Nautica

King Crimson - Discipline

I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when under stress. I re- Yeah. You get the idea. But honestly, when Djion was talking about the similarity between this album and the Talking Heads, I wasn't really sure what to think on that, but, I would have to say that was spot on. And I've only listened to like... at most 3 Talking Heads songs. But yeah, I don't want to base my thoughts entirely off another's. King Crimson had always been one of the standout bands for 70s prog rock because of their incorporation of jazz elements, and their penchant for improvisation. Now, I'm not familiar with all of KC's albums, I'm mostly into their earlier stuff (particularly Starless and Bible Black, Islands, and Larks' Tongues in Aspic), so to me, this album sounds like a drastic change in sound. Everything here is toned down and more tight. It still has the loose feel of the band, but everything's more... compact, let's say? There's also the airy atmosphere to it, which I've always loved in albums, because there's always a sense of weightlessness when listening to them. Also (gonna steal another point from someone), I think the use of repetition and space was nice. I always liked when bands would give a song time to branch out and gives itself time. I've never got the argument about repetition being bad. Monotony is bad, not repetition. Even though it's not my favorite era of King Crimson, I'd suggest going to your local record store (if you own a record player, that is) and picking up this one (to start), and maybe even some others.

Highlights: The Sheltering Sky, Frame By Frame, Elephant Talk, Indiscipline

TL;DR: Person Pitch really, truly, honestly sounds like the album cover; Discipline might take some actual discipline to listen to (okay, not really).

And again, sorry for being late.

Edited by Disinnocence

don't rilly have a preference because i'll just ramble all incorrigible-like either way re: one week or two weeks, but 2014 song of the year "two weeks" by fka twigs > "one week" by barenaked ladies, so that would be my pick?

I could actually see myself listening (and even buying) to this album again, and I well definitely check out their other work along with Animal Collective.

Panda Bear's other albums as a solo act have some decent stuff, but you'd be better served swinging over to Animal Collective. their most accessible album and """consensus""" best is Merriweather Post Pavilion, so start there (everything else they've made is massively, throbbingly *weird*, besides). the next tier of albums is Sung Tongs and Feels; i'm a massive, throbbing Sung Tongs fan myself, but Feels is less cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs if you know what i mean. then listen to Strawberry Jam if you're not yet FEDUP with them. there will be a quiz

I've only listened to like... at most 3 Talking Heads songs.

Remain in Light is near the top of every proper "best albums of the 80's" list and is one of those albums srs music fans """have""" to listen to, so start there. then work backwards - Fear of Music, then More Songs About Buildings and Food, then Talking Heads 77. they become less funky and more nerdy (!) the further back you go. there will be a quiz

So to be super-honest King Crimson and Panda Bear are not two names that get me super-excited, but both albums turned out to be good so I was just being closed-minded by waiting so long to check them out. I will hopefully do better from now on!

[spoiler=Albumz]

My only experience with King Crimson is a mostly-forgotten late-night listen to their debut album, which I can vaguely remember having mixed feelings on, so I wasn't sure what to expect from Discipline. My first thought was that it's definitely an album taken straight out of the early 80s, when Talking Heads and Devo's jarring rhythms and nervous, off-kilter guitars were ruling the conversation. King Crimson's way of approaching this, though, is super-smooth and polished; it's completely professional without ever coming off as self-indulgent or gutless. It's weird because the sound feels really dense even though it's actually a pretty stripped-down band; although the "Frippertronics" provide a lot of weird space-age noises throughout, it's only four guys without excessive multi-tracking from what I could hear. There's a surprising amount of versatility in both mood and style, from the carefully compressed anxiety of "Elephant Talk" to the relaxed pace and strangely gorgeous melody of "Matte Kudasa." This is especially impressive because the album's not very long, with only seven tracks that mostly remain where they are. One complaint I could probably offer is that the album feels kind of weirdly structured, namely because "The Sheltering Sky" felt bizarre coming right after "Thela Hun Ginjeet." I guess it's just because the latter feels sort of climactic and intense while the former is really ambient and peaceful, almost like an instrumental track you would use to open an album instead of placing it in the penultimate spot. But regardless, Discipline comes off as a finely-tuned piece of work, an interesting picture of King Crimson using their prog-rock chops to explore new wave and pulling it off surprisingly well. I can't shake the feeling that there's something missing from it, but it's probably just my personal taste. Favorite tracks: "Frame by Frame," "Matte Kudasai," "Indiscipline"

Person Pitch was super-distinctive; I don't think I'll forget it anytime soon, if only because it instilled a very singular mood in me while listening that I'm not sure I enjoyed, but anyway. I'm familiar with the name of Animal Collective and the big reputation they have among most music critics/music geeks/general hipsters, but I can't remember ever listening to them or Panda Bear, so I barely know the guy, although a couple of these songs seemed familiar; maybe I've just heard some of the samples, as there seems to be loads of them? The album itself almost felt like a slightly twisted imitation of 60s pop-rock; Panda Bear's bright boy-ish voice and thick, intense style of production are ripped straight from Brian Wilson, and he even throws in a couple jangling guitar notes into the mix every now and then, but the removed, spooky, almost druggy haze of sampling and tape effects he filters everything through make it more than just a throwback, giving the album a charmingly messy style and even a semi-creepy environment on some songs. This is that distinctive mood I mentioned; it's hard to describe, but I felt almost uncomfortable listening to a lot of this album. I think it's the way that the child-like melodies and the chaotic, psychedelic horde of samples intermix and exchange with each other, creating a lot of weird moments and effects that fascinate and spook at the same time. Well, even if I'm not totally sure how I feel about all of it personally, Panda Bear is one of those super-talented weirdos that only comes along every once in a while, and he's created a weird, kitschy, colorful, cheerily depressed Frankenstein's monster of an album with Person Pitch. It's far from perfect, but the chaotic songs and bumpy structure add to the charm, and ultimately it's an album to remember. Favorite tracks: "Comfy In Nautica," "Bros," "Good Girl/Carrots" (mostly the second half)

I've yet to put up my thoughts about any of the albums (save Demon Days since I know that album by heart due to listening to it so many times) so let me throw out an album before I get caught up.

Welcome to the magic that is Purity Ring.

Another Eternity (2015 album)

Megan James' vocals are haunting and match up perfectly to Cobin Roddick's engaging sounds. It's as if electronic music decided to smoke a joint with a hot girl and just chilled out. The pair are from Edmonton and I'm really wondering if my buddy has met them (he's opened for the Arkells/Said the Whale/other local Canadian bands, played on Letterman and if I'm not mistaken, he's working on a 12" with his band).

Demon Days - Gorillaz

I'm intimately familiar with this album, mostly because it is one of my favourite albums that exist (it ranks in my top 10). The complexity of Gorillaz is a lot easier to hear than their previous albums but the lesser known tracks (El Manana, O Green World, Kids with Guns...) are the ones that stand out to me due to their stories and amazing electronics. And of course, you can't forget Feel Good Inc., which has become Gorillaz's anthem. As far as electronic rock albums go, this may be one of the greatest ever produced.

Favourite Songs: O Green World, Feel Good Inc., El Manana

Edited by Jim Moriarty

week 6 #thoughts, the bank is open
[spoiler=Windmills - Broken Record]Unlike most underground versions of popular genres, when I think "underground hip-hop," I think of its limitations. Or, at least, how it has no advantages. The traditional braggadocio of hip-hop sounds resentful when employed by underground acts, especially if it devolves into a "realer than thou" campaign launched at anyone who is more famous. It's a genre of competition. No one wants to create a Rap Battle: First Come First Served type of event only for no one to accept the e-vite. You could eschew tradition and make your name as a weirdo, but the mainstream has its fair share of weirdos and kooky characters already. You could try to outsmart the arms race of songs with 10+ writers that sound like they have 10+ writers and be a clever minimalist, but we have Vince Staples for that. Before I keep rambling and transition from saying things I'm not sure I mean to something edgy that I really don't mean (e.g. "The hip-hop underground is a store-brand palate cleanser, mostly"), I'll just pose the question that got me rambling in the first place: Who is this album for? I don't mean that in a who-could-possibly-like-this way; it's just that the itches it scratches could be better scratched by people who happen to have fame and big budgets. Broken Record seems like an album for the "I don't normally listen to hip-hop, but..." crowd. People who are put off by the Drizzycore Takeover (hi, to be fair), and whose first inclination is to dig as far underground as they can for fear of Drake et al's far-reaching tentacles roots, might be drawn to Windmills by chance. And lo do the badgers rejoice, for they have found something understated and vibes-y. But before I sound like I'm about to catch a flight up to Poptimist Perch (too late?), I should give my own opinion. Broken Windows is a pragmatic work, in my view. It's a battery re-charger, a music introvert's retreat. Music listeners who are weary of grand productions or want to *gulp* cleanse their palates could do much worse. The perspective doesn't strike me as unique and the bars don't wow but as a whole the final product doesn't put me off. And the first part of that sentence is the sort of thing that would normally put me off. So that's an actual accomplishment for something that didn't move me. This album avoids the trappings I rambled upon earlier (I'll pretend I didn't see that track 5 is called "Underground Gem") and just kind of *is*, you know? When you follow my bad advice and try to avoid all of my pet peeves, you're left with *existing*. And thus I have concluded that the album I just listened to does in fact exist, thanks for reading ?

[spoiler=Sigur Ros - Takk...]When I think of Sigur Ros, I also think of Bjork. They are Icelandic music acts with an experimental bent, they evoke childlike innocence and retreat from elements of the outside world, and they have career parallels. Sigur Ros's "Agaetis byrjun" and Bjork's "Homogenic" were experimental milestones in their respective genres and, most importantly, they are personal favorites. Bjork's "Vesprtine" is like if prettiness was distilled from her previous work and she left the experimenting behind as a residue, which makes it the best parallel for "Takk..." in my opinion. It could be said that "Agaetis byrjun" is Sigur Ros's best album while "Takk..." is their most Sigur Ros-ian. Could. The latter is filled with anthemic quasi-anthems with a seemingly "aww shucks" attitude towards the very notion of an anthem. The singer is cooing at me. I didn't bother looking up translations for the Icelandic, etc., beyond the song titles in the video description; the album speaks in swells. It's the soundtrack for a birth, wedding, or funeral. Anything life-y would work, really, because this is deeply uncynical stuff. There's a part of me that hesitates to call foreign musicians "pure," "uncynical," etc. because it can come off as patronizing, among other things, but it's definitely how I would describe this band and this album. Glosoli is a beautiful, delicate song (the cooing <3), and Saeglopur freaking goes with the scope of Dirty Three at their most climactic. Those are the highlights of the album for me, but Sigur Ros is an especially deeply personal band. They're trying to open up the possibilities of the world. The Sigur Ros songs I like most are generally the ones that make the world feel biggest on a number of levels. They give you that joie de vivre but none of the regret for ever having lived without it because it's like you're being reborn and gosh, how could you have known that this is what life sounds like? Play this album for the pigeon you hold most dear.
Favorite tracks: Glosoli, Saeglopur

tl;dr "broken record" is functional not broken (har) and sigur ros are innocents/pigeons i'm pretty fond of

Edited by Dijon Mustard

so obviously this is losing a lot of steam and i personally haven't written anything in weeks so maybe it's time to put it down

Maybe rename this to "The Music Procrastinators Club"?

Well, the reason I didn't post last night was because I was talking to some friends, and I just didn't get to it. I really wanted to get them up last night, but, yeah. Excuses. I know...

And while I'd hate to see this go, it seems we only have around 6-7 active members here. And pretty much around 4-5 who post thoughts weekly. So, we had something at the beginning, but no one else has joined in since. Now, I'm all for keeping this thing going, but if everyone else agrees we should lay it to rest, I guess you reluctantly have my vote too.

One thing I kind of casually thought of is that we could just post thoughts on albums we've recently listened to, or just albums we've wanted to share some stuff on. But, that could very well just be moved over to the general music discussion thread. I'll see what everyone else thinks on the matter and/or if they have better ideas.

And finally, just in case this does get shut down, I just want to say that I liked both of this week's albums (obviously, I suggested one :P) and I'll still listen to the others posted here.

Panda Bear's other albums as a solo act have some decent stuff, but you'd be better served swinging over to Animal Collective. their most accessible album and """consensus""" best is Merriweather Post Pavilion, so start there (everything else they've made is massively, throbbingly *weird*, besides). the next tier of albums is Sung Tongs and Feels; i'm a massive, throbbing Sung Tongs fan myself, but Feels is less cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs if you know what i mean. then listen to Strawberry Jam if you're not yet FEDUP with them. there will be a quiz

Remain in Light is near the top of every proper "best albums of the 80's" list and is one of those albums srs music fans """have""" to listen to, so start there. then work backwards - Fear of Music, then More Songs About Buildings and Food, then Talking Heads 77. they become less funky and more nerdy (!) the further back you go. there will be a quiz

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this, but, thanks for the suggestions on this! I'll be sure to get back to you... sometime on which albums I liked and... didn't like as much. and pls no test i have enough on my plate rn

Edited by Disinnocence

I pretty much agree with Disinnocence's statements wrt continuing this thread. I've realized that nothing is going to make me be any less lazy, not even loving the music(which has consistently been the case with our selections), which of course reflects poorly on me but it is what it is. I'd still like to try and cover whatever recommendations we have left in the queue and will be posting last week's thoughts later tonight, but if no one else is up for it we can end the thread. Regardless, it's been fun.

Edit: late af thoughts

Windmills- Broken Record

I found it funny that Dijon mentioned that it sounded like hip-hop for the "I don't normally listen to hip-hop but..." crowd considering that is how I got into them in the first place, but it isn't relevant aside from the fact that since I've only recently gotten into the genre as a whole I don't have as much context for their sound. Compared to their first album, Broken Record has a greater focus and more consistent tone and sound, which I consider an improvement. The somber feel of the album is refreshing and easy to listen to, though I still find Rex Rey's samples and Frame's flow to be engaging. Speaking of Rey, the way he set up the instrumentals in production makes several of the songs a joy to listen to on headphones as the balance of the tracks changes from ear to ear and from foreground to background. The title track demonstrates this quite well imo and is another example of repetition being a good thing. The lyrics aren't too special- some of Frame's claims to fame and Souls references are a little cringeworthy- and some of the samples work more than others(like Bring Out the Sun vs You Know You're Right in favor of the former), but most of the songs still click for me melodically and rhythmically as well as in tone. Idk I'm rambling with no substance again.

Favorites: Truly Yours, Get Up, Broken Record, Graffiti in the Night

Sigur Ros- Takk

So finding out these guys were from Iceland definitely colored the listening in a positive way but I would have loved the album regardless. The nostalgia bonus was just a... bonus. Now let's see if I can refrain from using that one "e" word. Probably not. Really, this whole album is soft and beautiful on so many different levels- the vocals, the instrumentation, the tempo, the light tinkling bells/xylophone(?) in various songs, it's just aaaaaahhhhh I could fall asleep to this and have the most pleasant dreams. Settling into the album felt like letting out a huge relieving sigh that continued into several peaceful deep breaths with the occasional proud chin up, and it's another one where I love the experience as a whole and wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much without headphones. The occasional grandiose aspects were built to in a way that still kept the feel described earlier, the different songs flow well together, and I'm running out of things to say already. I really like this album though.

Favorites: Glosoli, Takk, Se lest, Saeglopur

Edited by Ambling Falchion