Where is the line between spoon feeding the player and leaving them completely in the dark?

IceBrand

I guess most games from Atlus. They give you a general idea of how to do things but 80% of it, you're gonna have to figure out yourself.

Which I suppose it pretty close to leaving you in the dark, but that's how I like it. Hand-holdy games are not fun in the least imo.

Edited by Draco

Spoonfeeding is Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword.

Dumping you in an environment without a clue is the game, Kairo. (doesnt help theres like, no dialogue ever so...you are literally on your own to figure out even what the game is about.)

Personally, i had more fun with the latter. Im actually hella ok with the latter kind of thing. But its because i grew up with games that just handed you the controls and said "go"

The happy medium? Hmmm...Id say Xenoblade? This game doesnt leave you hanging, but its tutorials are not like, in your face. I had a lot of fun figuring out the very mechanics of the battle system instead of just reading a bunch of shit about it. But the game itself gives you a lot of information on how to proceed without babying you.

Leaving in the Dark: Zelda 1

The Happy Medium: Most Zelda games

Spoon Feeding: Zelda: Skyward Sword

The best games are those with "invisible" tutorials.

Leaving in the Dark: Zelda 1

The Happy Medium: Most Zelda games

Spoon Feeding: Zelda: Skyward Sword

The best games are those with "invisible" tutorials.

What do you mean by 'invisible'? Stuff you can view if you want, but it's not shoved in your face?

Zelda 1 does not leave you in the dark. There are literally NPCs all over the damn place giving you some sort of idea of how to proceed. Its a bit choppy due to age, but if you couldnt figure out "Theres a secret in the tip of the nose" in level 7. Or "There are secrets where fairies dont live", or actually indulged the lady who says "pay me and ill talk", welp.

Git gud. Seriously, it may be minimal in leading you, but dumping you without a freaking clue? Not so much.

What do you mean by 'invisible'? Stuff you can view if you want, but it's not shoved in your face?

Example of "invisible tutorial": That first area you explore in Okami where you get your first Brush Strokes.

Pokemon for the most part is on that fine line.

They tell you the weaknesses between the starters but not other type advantages and disadvantages, breeding is far deeper than one might see at first and ofc, IVs/EVs, the game only gives you slight hints on those stats, you need to look up a guide to understand those fully.

Super Metroid is probably the best way I have to agree, but games with more mechanics, especially concepts that a player might not understand (RPGs usually), then there should be a way to explain them quickly and efficiently. In-depth tutorials should only be optional and never mandatory.