[SOLVED][FE7] This doesn't have to do with ROM hacking, but it's a question that's kind of related...

Avril Lavigne

Which programs do people use to LP?

I notice that a lot of people seem to have the best software and get great recording results, and I've had no luck with previous recording programs I used. It would lag like crazy and be choppy terrible quality video-wise but audio would be fine. Then if I did find one with good video then audio would be muted (and yes, I did check the settings in them). I had a program but it just so happen to disappear because I remembered that I updated my laptop a while back and it must have gone away with it, and that one was good, near perfect. But I can't seem to find it. This would be great help seeing as I need to do some recording.

Edited by Avril Lavigne

Which programs do people use to LP?

I notice that a lot of people seem to have the best software and get great recording results, and I've had no luck with previous recording programs I used. It would lag like crazy and be choppy terrible quality video-wise but audio would be fine. Then if I did find one with good video then audio would be muted (and yes, I did check the settings in them). I had a program but it just so happen to disappear because I remembered that I updated my laptop a while back and it must have gone away with it, and that one was good, near perfect. But I can't seem to find it. This would be great help seeing as I need to do some recording.

I use DxTory personally. There are other options like Fraps or Camtasia, I'd recommend those too (Camtasia also has a video editor. Both it's video editor AND recording is kinda subpar to other options, but you get both and they're good enough for GBA games for sure. If you wanna do HD recordings? Not recommended.)

DxTory is good because it records multiple audio streams and supports multiple codecs. I think it's around $37 USD.

Fraps is pretty run-of-the-mill and it's been around forever. A little dated but it has great lossless quality.

You could also use OBS as a free option. I don't know much about OBS though. I've heard it takes a bit to set up as well and has some issues to look out for.

Edited by Theguru1020

Camtasia is what I use: it's easy to use and has a free trial that can be used over and over again.

Alternatively, if you have something that can record video already and it isn't picking up audio, you might be able to use Audacity in combination with it to get the audio recorded.

I use DxTory personally. There are other options like Fraps or Camtasia, I'd recommend those too (Camtasia also has a video editor. Both it's video editor AND recording is kinda subpar to other options, but you get both and they're good enough for GBA games for sure. If you wanna do HD recordings? Not recommended.)

DxTory is good because it records multiple audio streams and supports multiple codecs. I think it's around $37 USD.

Fraps is pretty run-of-the-mill and it's been around forever. A little dated but it has great lossless quality.

You could also use OBS as a free option. I don't know much about OBS though. I've heard it takes a bit to set up as well and has some issues to look out for.

But I don't know how you get it on your VBA. I'm not getting a recording function on the emulator itself. I thought DxTory would only record stuff that is an actual game, but not an emulator, unless I'm missing something. But it doesn't seem to be working with my VBA.

EDIT: WAIT. It magically worked. Yay. Thanks Theguru1020

Edited by Avril Lavigne

But I don't know how you get it on your VBA. I'm not getting a recording function on the emulator itself. I thought DxTory would only record stuff that is an actual game, but not an emulator, unless I'm missing something. But it doesn't seem to be working with my VBA.

EDIT: WAIT. It magically worked. Yay. Thanks Theguru1020

DxTory doesn't like things that don't use DirectX/OpenGL generally, like if you don't use OpenGL in the DS emulator Desmume it won't work at all. Also make sure you open Dxtory BEFORE the program you want to record otherwise it won't pick it up.

I haven't uploaded any LPs yet but I've been using LoiLo for the last few months and found it quite useful. LoiLo is also free.

I haven't tested audio, as in recording audio from a microphone while recording games, movies, etc. Might have to use a separate program like audacity for microphone audio if that's the case.

It's window based (computer window, not OS) recording software. This means you can record yourself doing any number of things and not limited to gaming.

You could do a photoshop timelapse, video of yourself broswing the web or even a video of yourself typing in microsoft words if you felt like it.

Only downside is that I don't think it records in small formats. It only records in AVI which is basically uncompressed and huge, but good for quality if you want quality.

Generally, this shouldn't be a problem unless you have a really small HDD. If it does record in formats other than AVI, I haven't found it, so let me know if you locate it.

The general interface is pretty intuitive in my opinion.

Also comes with a basic editing software if you don't have things like premiere or after effects.