Question about Marx (Plot spoilers within)

blinkingbrave

First, if there's somewhere else I should put this, please tell me. I didn't quite see an applicable topic to ask this in, but if there is, I'd be happy to move it. It's my first time in the forum so I dunno what conventions you guys have.

Anyways...

Question: Is Marx suicidal?

I'm writing an AU fanfic, and this would fit well in the story. Unfortunately, I can't read Japanese, and the plot translation I'm reading hasn't gotten far enough for me to confirm if this is actually canon or not.

My thought was that his Nyx support implied some suicidal tendencies, but it wasn't brought up anywhere else or truly confirmed so I'm a little hesitant to write it in his character based solely on my analysis of the support. I'm suspicious it could come up or at least be implied again during the chapter you fight him on the Hoshido route, but the story translation I'm reading hasn't gotten that far yet.

If it's an actual part of his character, I want to write it into my fanfic sooner rather than later so I can be subtle about it and get all that buildup, but if it's not, then I kinda need to rewrite parts of my plot skeleton.

Since I can't really confirm on my own but also can't really wait around for confirmation, I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts on it were. General consensus seems the best substitute given the circumstances.

Suicidal, or nah?

Edited by blinkingbrave

I don't have any substantial proof, but to me it seems like he's just stressed from being under Garon's thumb, leading Nohrian forces against Hoshido, and Corrin's potential betrayal.

After Elise dies, he might have somewhat of a thought of dying though, considering he pretty much throws the aforementioned fight with Corrin.

He does thank Corrin before he dies, should (s)he side with Hoshido, but its more like a "thanks for being a sibling for all these years" thing.

Though if you do give him suicidal tendencies, I don't think it'd be a bad thing. He does look like the kinda dude who'd break down behind the scenes due to heartbreaking decisions, despite his generally stern and powerful image he displays to his Country.

I don't have any substantial proof, but to me it seems like he's just stressed from being under Garon's thumb, leading Nohrian forces against Hoshido, and Corrin's potential betrayal.

After Elise dies, he might have somewhat of a thought of dying though, considering he pretty much throws the aforementioned fight with Corrin.

He does thank Corrin before he dies, should (s)he side with Hoshido, but its more like a "thanks for being a sibling for all these years" thing.

Though if you do give him suicidal tendencies, I don't think it'd be a bad thing. He does look like the kinda dude who'd break down behind the scenes due to heartbreaking decisions, despite his generally stern and powerful image he displays to his Country.

I think after betreyal he would do it if he wouldn't have family tho. .-. (I mean his brother and sisters. : p)

Edited by Eriotto

I think it would be an interesting spin on Marx. I could definitely see him having a lot of self worth and depression issues, especially with the state of his father, and his life reaaaally sucks if you side with Hoshido. Power of the AU! Power of the Headcanon! Be free in your writings my friend! \o/

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

I don't know about suicidal thoughts before the war but if you side with Hoshido, he implies that he was holding back in the fight with Kamui, so he was basically doing suicide-by-cop. Understandable considering who he just killed, and his options by that point would be to either kill his father or adoptive sister/brother.

If you do give him suicidal tendencies, it wouldn't be too far off, I think. There's another person who's doing really in-character head canon pieces and he is also suicidal in their writing. And she takes as much evidence from the game as possible.

He's not Ryoma :^)

I understand this is a joke reply (and I definitely snickered), but actually since Ryouma's his foil and Kamui comments on how similar they all are, I think this might actually be a point for suicidal? Not that Ryouma's suicidal, but for the two men to take the same action for different reasons would be a parallel that makes sense to write...

I accept this headcanon.

Like everyone said,if you do give him suicidal tendencies,it would work.It also makes him more different from Ryoma.

He will be diffrent, remember that Ryouma did Seppuku, reasons of dying are diffrent imo.

I think it's a good idea. Anything to make the characters less flat :D

He will be diffrent, remember that Ryouma did Seppuku, reasons of dying are diffrent imo.

Well, to nitpick a little there, the reason Ryouma committed seppuku isn't really because he was "dishonored in battle," as is the case with most traditional seppuku. But his reason is still different enough from Marx's to make this work.

I think it's a good idea. Anything to make the characters less flat :D

Well, to nitpick a little there, the reason Ryouma committed seppuku isn't really because he was "dishonored in battle," as is the case with most traditional seppuku. But his reason is still different enough from Marx's to make this work.

Yeah, he wasn't dishonored but i meant only fact he did a seppuku. : P