Getting S-rank in chapter 2

Paper Jam

Chapter 2 is particularly hard to max out Funds, owing to your only asset gained from the chapter being one Vulnerary (300g) and the requirement for 5 star Funds being a net gain of at least 240g (80% of 300g). I'm referring to the Rankings tables at http://serenesforest.net/blazing-sword/miscellaneous/rankings/tables/for reference.

What this means is that you can only use an Iron Sword or Lance so many times before even they start eating into your Funds rank. One use of an Iron Sword costs 10g; one use of an Iron Lance costs 8g. So to stay within 5 star Funds, you would need to use an Iron Lance no more than 7 times (since 60/8=7 1/2, which rounded down is 7).

However, this is further complicated in that only Kent and Sain can use Iron Lances in chapter 2, and you absolutely must break down the temple wall to get them inside the temple. Sain at base level, armed with an Iron Lance, has exactly enough attack power to break down the wall by attacking it twice; thus, two uses of an Iron Lance must be allocated to that demolition.

However, Funds are not the only thing to worry about; it is also necessary to gain 200 experience to get 5 stars in the Experience rank. The boss is level 3, and so a level 1 character would gain 77 experience from defeating him; two of the brigands are level 2, and a level 1 character would gain 33 experience from killing them; the rest are level 1, and a level 1 character would gain 30 experience from killing them.

A level 1 character could defeat the boss and one of the level 2 brigands and gain 110 experience, and another level 1 character could then defeat three more brigands to gain 90 experience, so technically it is possible to S-rank chapter 2.

But the necessary conditions are frankly ridiculous:

-Kent and Sain must both be level 1 (because Lyn won't be) and preferably have very little experience so as not to level up prematurely.

-Kent and Sain must fight every battle using Iron Lances, and every attack they make must either miss or be critical.

-Kent and Sain must only fight the boss and four of the brigands (at least one of whom must be level 2).

I'm sure not many people would bother with this, but some might find it interesting nonetheless.

IS during rank deciding meetings...

Boss: Hey, let's make the future fanbase happy by making the ranks difficult!

Grunt: But they're only "Are Marth and Roy in th-"

Boss: Silence! I'm psychic! I know they'll be Jeigan-lovers in a decade! They like rigging, so they'll love this chapter!

Grunt: But it's literally impossible without 100% crits...

Boss: Then it's perfect!

In seriousness: They mustn't have been paying much attention to the ranks.

not-kaga must have been drunk.

But the necessary conditions are frankly ridiculous:

-Kent and Sain must both be level 1 (because Lyn won't be) and preferably have very little experience so as not to level up prematurely.

-Kent and Sain must fight every battle using Iron Lances, and every attack they make must either miss or be critical.

-Kent and Sain must only fight the boss and four of the brigands (at least one of whom must be level 2).

I'm sure not many people would bother with this, but some might find it interesting nonetheless.

Lol yeah, this is what I did for the Max Tactician Star runs. You can actually afford to use an Iron Sword twice (instead of the lance).

• 4 weeks later...