Reclassing and exp gain (lunatic)

dimbenes1

I'm confused about how much exp you get from killing an enemy once you reclass. Let me elaborate: my first reclass we unit was nowi. Before reclassing she had several levels on the enemy units, so when she killed them she didn't get much exp. however, when I used a second seal (she was max lvl), keeping her as a manakete, the game seemed to treat her as a level 1 manakete: she gets huge amounts of exp from killing an enemy. Same story with panne. This is where I got confused. I reclassed Freddy at lvl 15 to a paladin, but he gets about as much exp from killing an enemy as he would I he was a lvl 15 great knight. Is it because I didn't keep him as his original class when I used the second seal or because he's not a dragon/beast? Or is it something else?

http://serenesforest.net/awakening/miscellaneous/calculations/

See the sections on Battle Experience and Internal Level. tl;dr reclassing increases a unit's internal level by half their displayed level (+20 if a promoted class) and this is used for exp calculation.