Recommended video-creating/editing software for Windows 7?

BlueLeafeon

For years, my recording abilities have been restricted to the use of record functions in the games themselves--and I would like to change that. However, I really have no idea what programs out there are actually worth having, and would run on my Windows 7 32-bit comp without much lag. I am willing to pay money for it, but not something like $100 bucks or monthly fees. Any recommendations?

(mods, feel free to move this if you feel this isn't in the right section. I couldn't decide if this would be a general topic or a gaming topic since video games are what I'm looking to record.)

Dxtory is pretty good and the one I use, you get a registered version for like £20/$30.

You could try Open Broadcaster Software though it's a little harder to use, but I believe it's free.

Edited by Tryhard

OBS is super free but it's kinda resource heavy if you want good quality. It takes like 20% of my processing to run but my processing is like an i7 and 16 GBs of ram, so

your mileage may vary by computer depending on if it's good or not

but if your computer is nice then just use OBS.

oh and editing uh

vegas is the best, obviously, but

super expense

adobe premier seems okay? also expensive but less than good vegas

camtasia works well enough and it's the cheapest

just depends on how much your wallet can afford/how much pirating you're willing to do

Edited by Snake Mom

I use OBS for capture and VirtualDub for my (admittedly primitive) editing. Both cost zero money. I've done a bit of experimenting with Avidemux, and haven't come to a solid conclusion, I like some things it does better than VirtualDub, but VirtualDub better for other things.

Do you absolutely require a GUI?

Because ffmpeg can be quite powerful in the case you need to concate, merge, split...

You can mess with the audio channel and demux two audio streams that uses the same codec.

You can also turn a bunch of pngs into a video.

Edit: Or have you a deep phobia of command-line interfaces? :P

Edited by Naughx

So what I can gather from this is that there's no all-in-one software that doesn't a ton of money? lol

just depends on how much your wallet can afford/how much pirating you're willing to do

No pirating, lol. Camtasia is like, stupidly expensive, although apparently you can also buy it by the month nowadays?

...Speaking of annual payments, that just reminded me of Pokebank. Oh dear... I hope my pokemon still exist.

I use OBS for capture and VirtualDub for my (admittedly primitive) editing. Both cost zero money. I've done a bit of experimenting with Avidemux, and haven't come to a solid conclusion, I like some things it does better than VirtualDub, but VirtualDub better for other things.

I use virtual dub for various light edits, mostly because VBA likes saving pointlessly MASSIVE videos, and sometimes I have to do something to splice two video segments back together. (not to mention that default VBA had that awful issue where sounds and visuals would stop being synch'd after a while, and dub was capable of fixing that. <_< )

Do you absolutely require a GUI?

Because ffmpeg can be quite powerful in the case you need to concate, merge, split...

You can mess with the audio channel and demux two audio streams that uses the same codec.

You can also turn a bunch of pngs into a video.

That last one sounds like something I wanted to do with windows movie maker until I realized it doesn't actually come WITH windows anymore. (and I have to download some other pointless junk just to get it. WTH Microsoft?) I might check it out. GUI means a user interface, right? I guess I don't HAVE to have it, but it would be nice.