Should Toshiyuki Kusakihara stay as the art director in future installments of the franchise?

OakTree

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should he?

• Yes.
    • No.

No, please no more shitty armor and battle panties.

He made the atrocities that are Toiler Cavaliers, Easy Access Generals/Paladins/etc., Awakening Heroes, Awakening Generals, Garous, Fates Fighters (BOTH GENDERS), Awakening Falcoknights, Awakening Sorcerers (BOTH GENDERS again), and I could probably say more.

He also made some really cool and badass designs but...

The bad outweights the good, for me.

And while we're at it:

I'd get a new artist too. I want the dude who drew DLC Roy as the next FE artist.

I was personally pretty neutral on Awakening heroes. As for generals, they do line up pretty well with past portrayals; it's how the armor behaves like skin-tight lycra instead of solid metal that I find weird and off-putting.

As for Garous... they look okay to me?

Fujisaka's art would be lot more dark and detailed than anything else in the series. For example:

Zael.full.971799.jpg

However, he's also done his fair share of fanservicey designs (Zero from Drakengard 3/Syrenne from The Last Story), but that could be cured with better art direction.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was personally pretty neutral on Awakening heroes. As for generals, they do line up pretty well with past portrayals; it's how the armor behaves like skin-tight lycra instead of solid metal that I find weird and off-putting.

Fujisaka's art would be lot more dark and detailed than anything else in the series. For example:

Zael.full.971799.jpg

However, he's also done his fair share of fanservicey designs (Zero from Drakengard 3/Syrenne from The Last Story), but that could be cured with better art direction.

Yassss, Zael <3 Damn, a FE game with the visuals from Last Story? Yes, pls. Maybe another Asthar for me to fangirl?

I'm actually kinda okay with Syrenne's design because it's "just" her armour and the guys are just as naked with it as she is.

I think whoever does Etrian Odyssey's artwork would be cool. Admittedly, there are certain class designs that "work" better than others (the imperials and the landsknechts from EO4, the shoguns from EO3, among others) and a few that are not as good (a few of the portraits are too cartoony and moe) but in general EO artwork adapted for an FE style would be cool.

If he's the guy responsible for abominations like Tharja or Camilla he can go and stay go, then be replaced with the art crew from anywhere between 6 and 10.

If it's misblaming then whatever I just want designs like Tharja/Camilla GONE.

why would anyone want the team from GBA and Tellius back

I prefer fanservice designs over the boring mass of the GBA games

especially since FE15 or something around that time will probably get new artists anyway as par the course for the series

Even if the GBA designs were actually "boring" as you claim they are, they're still much, much better than designs like Tharja, Camilla, any Dark Mage in Fates, Charlotte, etc. imo. I'd go as far as saying I'd actually prefer even the in-battle sprites of the GBA games over the 3DS era designs as a whole.

Plus, I hate what Kusakihara's designs have done for FE's image for those who haven't played the series. I'd rather hear "Is Marth/Roy/Ike in this?" again over "Is this that medieval waifu simulator?"

I was going to say "Hire the guy who did Katarina's DLC artwork!" but sure enough, when I looked up the artist, it was Kozaki. We need more Grandmaster style outfits and less Sorcerer outfits.

The generals from the GBA era onward had angular shoulder plates that were disconnected (the early ones were more rounded). Awakening Generals have a single shoulder piece that's rounded and enormous, making it resemble a turtle shell your character's head awkwardly pokes out of.

As for Awakening hero's, they feel too sci-fi to me. The way all the plates connect together, and especially the guard around the neck looks really out of place in a low fantasy setting.

ugh please people

give us the character designer of xenoblade chronicles

give us the world designers too

make the series fireblade awakening

That's impossible though, the people who worked on Xenoblade are part of Monolith Soft. It would happen only with a crossover.

But that said, they are amazing and seeing a game with FE gameplay and Monolith Soft. art direction would be beautiful.

MAKE THE SERIES BATEN EMBLEM!

[removed for space]

Well all the designs I mentioned look ugly to me, therefore it's all my personal opinion. Most armor in Awakening is very ugly to me, because I prefer more realistic looking or realistic inspired armor instead of things that look weird for the sake of looking cool.

I'm very okay with Fujisaka's work, I'm also ok with sexy designs, as long as they are not on physical units (except fighters, barbarians and their promotions, because they have to show off muscle).

For example, I like Black Mages in Awakening, and I like both them and Sorcerer in Fates.