Removing a header?

Aestury

So I received a huge archive around a year ago with a bunch of the FE4binary hacks. I tried applying them but all I got was a black screen; eventually I heard if you remove the header before patching it should work, but I have no idea how to do that. I tried looking up programs for it but most of them seem outdated from what I saw. Could anyone lead me in the right direction or have any experience with patching the FE4binary hacks like Genealogy of Fala? I really want to try patches like the Shin patch.

Edited by Aestury

So I received a huge archive around a year ago with a bunch of the FE4binary hacks. I tried applying them but all I got was a black screen; eventually I heard if you remove the header before patching it should work, but I have no idea how to do that. I tried looking up programs for it but most of them seem outdated from what I saw. Could anyone lead me in the right direction or have any experience with patching the FE4binary hacks like Genealogy of Fala? I really want to try patches like the Shin patch.

People always recomend SNEStool, but that tool is so old that it may not work in the newer versions of windows (i have heard conflicting reports) NSRT is a newer tool that can also does this: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/400/

The default functionality is to scan a rom without doing anything. There are menu options you can toggle to do things like add and remove headers.

YOu can also install a hex editer (i use hxd) and delete the header manualy, or simply check different roms until you nid one without a header.

Edited by sirmola

A SNES backup unit's header is 0x200 (512 Dec) bytes long when it is present.

For example: if you had an headerless rom image and your patch required an header, you could add 512 bytes of zeros at the beginning of your rom image. (Then remove it afterward)

For rom images that has an header, you just delete the first 512 bytes.

Edited by Naughx