Advice on dealing with tourney nerves?

DreadFighter

So I got a few locals coming up in February and it still eludes me. What is the best way to deal with tourney nerves? I feel that's what cost me my last set in all honesty. I've tried just calming myself down and it isn't working, so what do I do? I've hit a bit of a wall.

Also I can't deal with the crowd against me which is another issue. I'm stuck around the 9th/13th area at 80 people weeklies and got 33rd/140 at my last regional, barely not making it out of pools (my region is pretty rough btw, #1 player got 7th (Marss) at Genesis).

So, advice?

There really is no sure answer, seeing as everyone deals with things their own way.

I guess, just think of the tourney as a regular get-together with friends. Pretend they're friends who are terrible at Smash and smoke 'em all!

I get tourney nerves, too, in fact I think most of us do, so you're not alone. :)

Chew gum, do something repetitive that doesn't require active focus, but is always going on. Tap your foot, chew gum, that sort of thing. You could always bring something to listen to as a disconnect as well it's not as if hearing the game is a big deal.

sound can be reacted to faster than visual perception, jsyk

focus on the game, but don't do it to the point where you feel as if your life depends on it. you know the phrase "playing out of his/her mind", right? that's exactly what you should be aiming for, thinking about the game and not worrying about anything else. other than that, experience helps.

I would just go in and go for the glory. Listen to music that is not todays current music, and use your main for victory. I will show them the almighty power of Ragnell. In all seriousness, just treat it like a local friendlies. Just focus on your match. That's how I would do it.

sound can be reacted to faster than visual perception, jsyk

Males are more adept at reacting to visual stimuli than females and in that vein females are better at reacting to audio stimuli than males. It's moot in Smash's case and in a tournament scenario considering you're playing based on the visual stimuli and the crowd is often louder than game and something you don't want to react to.

Males are more adept at reacting to visual stimuli than females and in that vein females are better at reacting to audio stimuli than males. It's moot in Smash's case and in a tournament scenario considering you're playing based on the visual stimuli and the crowd is often louder than game and something you don't want to react to.

incorrect, http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/rob/Courses/InformationInSpeech/CDROM/Literature/LOTwinterschool2006/biae.clemson.edu/bpc/bp/Lab/110/reaction.htm

you are right about sound being unreliable, though there are ways to work around that.

incorrect, http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/rob/Courses/InformationInSpeech/CDROM/Literature/LOTwinterschool2006/biae.clemson.edu/bpc/bp/Lab/110/reaction.htm

you are right about sound being unreliable, though there are ways to work around that.

Not incorrect, but worded poorly. The gap between visual is greater than the gap between audio ergo males are more adept at visual than women whereas women are more adept at audio relatively. Wasn't disputing audio versus visual nor was I intending to suggest that women had an advantage in either area over men, i.e. worded poorly.

Some attacks tip their hand one what their doing, but it's not as if all the attacks have perfectly distinguishable audio clues, not hearing the game isn't going to affect your playing.

I remember players that do wear headphones saying that not being able to hear does put them at a slight disadvantage (that it definitely does affect play), but that not having to deal with audible distractions makes them a lot more consistent and the tradeoff is worth it. I know Leffen has said that, I think I've heard it elsewhere as well but idr.