The Impossible Choice

Tangerine

(This is dedicated to Shin Kobayashi, Intelligent Systems, and Nintendo for spinning such a driven, gripping, and thought provoking scenario that had me near crying while trying to write this. And I haven't even played the game properly here yet. So I do apologize if the events in this story aren't portrayed quite the same as they may be in the game; I'm going mostly from conjecture and what I know and have seen of the game up to the choice in Ch. 6.)

Keep being an awesome place to be SF! :)

The Impossible Choice

"Come to Hoshido, Corrin!"

She knew.

"No Corrin! Nohr is your home!"

She had known this moment would come. Since the day her life was turned upside down when she was taken to her birth nation Hoshido. Since her mother's arms had encircled her lovingly, welcoming her home. Since the point she had begun to feel something for her estranged Hoshidan family. Since she had heard the news that Nohr was invading.

Nohr. The place she had always known as her home. Where she had spent years growing up sequestered, yet cared for by an unconventional family of siblings and servants who loved her just as much as her blood family.

Two nations. Two families.

And Corrin knew the time had come to choose.

Why?

They were all in view before her. Ryoma, offering her a beckoning hand and urging her to come to his side, while Sakura called for her as Hinoka and Takumi stood slightly behind, apprehension in their expressions.

Her Hoshidan family. Her blood siblings. The ones who were there during her early days and months, the ones she should have grown up alongside with. The people she was kidnapped from.

In the short time she had spent so far in Hoshido, she had come to care for it and it's people. The peace it was blessed with made it seem like another world, one she had never truly known in Nohr. Everyone was so open and friendly, and this was reflected in its rulers.

Queen Mikoto was the mother she had never known she had, her kindness and compassion boundless and endless. Ryoma, her elder brother, was honorable and loyal to all he held dear, and would defend them no matter what. Hinoka, her elder sister, had shown underneath her fierce demeanor was a girl mourning the loss of a family member; she had cried tears of joy upon finding her lost sister returned. Takumi, her younger brother, though not quite as welcoming and affectionate as the others for understandable reasons, was still a true and honest person who only wished for his family's and nation's safety. And Sakura, her younger sister, was perhaps one of the sweetest and most considerate people to ever exist.

Despite the fact that she was practically a stranger to them, they had opened their arms and hearts to her. And Corrin could not deny in her heart that she wished to know them even more and make up for the lost years.

Why?

But she also could not deny the other half of her heart.

She turned to the other side and saw Xander upon his horse, reaching an arm down towards her that she might come to his side, with Elise entreating her name next to him. Camilla and Leo stood nearby, concern for her wellbeing flitting across their faces.

Her Nohrian family. Her adopted siblings. The ones who were with her during her life, the ones she grew up alongside with. The people who raised her to this day.

In all the long years she had spent living in Nohr, she could not deny that the nation was not the friendliest of places or the brightest. It didn't have the bountiful resources of Hoshido, and the warlike culture put it in direct conflict with them. And yet, it was her home. She knew what a hardy breed of citizen it took to live in Nohr, and she respected them for it.

Though King Garon did not bequeath much, if any, love for her during her life, what love that was lacking from him was made up tenfold by her siblings, who knew that love in general was a preciously rare gift in the Nohrian Royal Court. Xander had been both her elder brother and the kind father figure she always wanted. Camilla was her elder sister but acted more like a protective and indulgent mother to her and the others. Leo, her younger brother who was definitely more intelligent and probably more mature than even her, taught her things about the world and about life that she may have never known otherwise, cultivating her healthy desire to learn. And dearest Elise, her all loving and impossibly innocent little sister who brought light into their lives when none thought it possible in such a place.

She had absolutely no blood relation to them, no prior connection to their family that would endear her to them after she was brought to Nohr. Yet she knew nothing but love and adoration from them for all the days of her life and every echo from her memory.

Why?

"This way," called her brother Ryoma. Called Hoshido.

Hoshido was under attack from Nohr. The peaceful nation that had known no war and struggled to avoid it under the benevolent rule of their Queen. But now she was gone and they could no longer avoid bloodshed.

Corrin tried to think with her head, like Leo had taught her.

Objectively in her mind, Hoshido was in the right. They were the victims in this; their lands were invaded, their queen murdered, their peace destroyed. It is only natural to believe that their side is the side that should be defended. But was she, a complete stranger despite her heritage and from the enemy nation no less, a person suited for this task? Moreover, could she stand against Nohr? Was she prepared to fight and even kill her own siblings, the people she had loved and who had loved her for all her life despite their lack of blood relation?

Could she tear out her own heart?

Why?

"We're your family," entreated her brother Xander. Entreated Nohr.

Nohr was dying. Its land was resource depleted. Even she knew from history that Nohr had developed it's warmongering nature for conquest due to a need for survival. No matter what machinations their King had planned, she couldn't turn her back on this fact.

Corrin tried to reason with her heart, like Elise had shown her.

In the tempest of her feelings, she felt she had every right to return to Nohr. Kidnapped or no, they were still the family she was raised by and loved without end. The Hoshidans, in comparison, were almost complete strangers who captured her and took her away from the life and family she'd known and been so far content with. Why should she risk life and limb for them against her own adopted family, who have been by her side through thick and thin. But after everything she saw and experienced in Hoshido, could she really turn her back on such injustice from Nohr? Could she forget the horrible events leading to her birth mother's death? Would she be ready to fight and kill the family who only wanted to reconnect with her after having been so cruelly torn apart?

Could she abandon her own morals and beliefs?

Why?

Why?Why?Why?Why?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?!

"It's not fair!," Corrin thought, lowering her head. What terrible, horrible, awful thing did she do in another life that such cruel fates would offer such a choice? That she should be made to choose between her blood and adopted families, her mind and her heart.

She began to feel the same anger, the same indignation that caused her first dragon transformation at the sight of her mother dead in her arms. In her rising fury and frustration, she wondered why her siblings, both Hoshido and Nohr, why they all would put such a choice on her. Did they not care for her own feelings or realize what choosing meant for her?!

It was an impossible choice.

Her feelings raged internally to a boiling point, and at that moment she simultaneously loved them beyond measure and despised them beyond words. She started to feel the familiar surge of draconian power as it flowed to her arms, her legs, her back, and her head-----

A face appeared in her mind, accompanied by a clear and soothing melody that promised calm, serenity, sanctuary, safety. The memory of Azura and her song, echoing from the haze of her mind as she had raged from loss and grief over her mother as a dragon. Corrin reached for the dragonstone that hung from her neck like a pendant, a gift from her fellow sister of circumstances Azura.

In that moment she felt no love, no hatred. Only clarity. Clarity of thought.

"Was there ever really a true choice to begin with?"

She raised her head to face her siblings, both sides waiting for her answer. All the time she had spent ruminating in her mind must only have been a few moments, for they appeared as she'd last seen them. Concerned, apprehensive, expectant.

Corrin glanced between them both, and looked her elder brothers each in the eye. She, eyes brimming with human sadness and draconic fury, a sister's love and a soldier's conviction, answered.

And Corrin chose.

~~~~~~~~

I really liked what you did here. You tackled an important theme, and you worked at developing it with some elevated use of language. I do think you stumbled a bit on some of your more complicated sentences (I'll include a few examples in a spoiler to try to illustrate what I mean here), and there were some other minor mistakes throughout, but on the whole it's a solid entry that I enjoyed reading. Keep up the good work in the future, I expect good things from you.

[spoiler=minor nitpicks, ie common mistakes, missing words]

she had come to care for it and it's people.

its

Hinoka, her elder sister, had shown underneath her fierce demeanor was a girl mourning the loss of a family member

had shown that underneath

Its land was resource depleted.

Its land had been depleted of resources.

(not technically an error, but I feel an improvement nonetheless)

etc.

original: Though King Garon did not bequeath much, if any, love for her during her life, what love that was lacking from him was made up tenfold by her siblings,

possible: Though King Garon had not shown her much (if any) love, what she'd lacked in that department had been made up for tenfold by her siblings,

Bequeath is a fun word, and outside the day-to-day vocabulary of most people, but I don't think it really fit well on this occasion. It's rather formal and impersonal, and hardly suited for expressing affection, although maybe that was something you had deliberately considered, given what you have to say about King Garon. That aside though, there's some more awkwardness hidden in the original sentence. If we take out the parenthetical, and switch to simpler synonyms for the sake of examining the flow we get:

"He had not shown much love for her during her life"

Doesn't that make it sound like Corrin has passed on? That's not the message you're trying to send, obviously. In fact, I'm pretty sure the "during her life" part was supposed to imply a sense of ongoing, rather than relying on any individual instances, but that's not how the words come off when taken at their face value. At least, not to me. Then, after the comma, we have:

"what love that was lacking from him was made up tenfold by her siblings"

Don't get me wrong, I like what the clause is trying to express, and how you're doing a complex sentence with very apt comparisons here, but the wording you've chosen is clunky at best. You've got a complicated phrase, "love that was lacking from him", serving as the subject here, and honestly, distilling that down into something simpler would help immensely. In the end, for my suggestion I just relied on implication, considering that this follows directly from what was stated before the comma. The reader will know what is being discussed, so there's no need to spell it out again, awkwardly.

The only other issue I took with this sentence was your choice of tense, as your original used "did not" and "was made up", sticking with plain past tense. I feel like past perfect is a much better fit, as it helps set the timeframe as further back and already completed, when contrasted with the usual tendency for narration to rely on simple past to describe what is happening to the readers.

original: Leo, her younger brother who was definitely more intelligent and probably more mature than even her, taught her things about the world and about life that she may have never known otherwise, cultivating her healthy desire to learn.

possible: Leo--her younger brother who was definitely more intelligent, and probably even more mature than she was--had taught her things about the world and about life, things that she may have never otherwise learned, which cultivated her healthy desire to learn.

I really felt like you needed to use better punctuation to help organize your parenthetical descriptors (which I really liked) in this complicated sentence. Without them, a reader could find themselves getting mixed up and confused. Speaking of confused, maybe this is just me, but I found your use of "even" to be questionable. Why would it be notable that Leo is more mature than "even her"? Is Corrin supposed to be especially mature for her age? With the slightly different placement of the word, leading to "Leo was probably even more mature than her", the role of the word shifts so that it's just indicating another interesting feature of Leo's, and doesn't seem to provide the same level of emphasis or judgement on the matter.

Anyway, now that the parentheticals are properly delineated, we can easily make sure the sentence works as a whole by covering them up and making sure it still reads fine:

"Leo had taught her things about the world and about life which cultivated her healthy desire to learn." (You could even simplify it further to "Leo had taught her things which cultivated her desire to learn", if so inclined.)

I had to tweak some tenses and things to make it come out just right, but this is the sort of thing you should strive to do to keep your ambitious sentences from overwhelming the reader, losing them in the process. Properly offsetting with punctuation is important, and if simply relying on commas alone will introduce ambiguity, by all means, make use of the em dash.

(I guess your original sentence as written would read "Leo taught her things about the world and about life that she may have never known otherwise", which is honestly a perfectly fine sentence, but I feel like the focus is different and not where you intended. I could very well be wrong, and what I took to be parenthetical was actually your main thrust. If so, I apologize. Also, perhaps I just like to add more commas than is rightly good for me, and thus feel compelled to use the em dash for that reason. Even if that's so, I still think it's a wonderful piece of punctuation that shouldn't be forgotten.)

original: Even she knew from history that Nohr had developed it's warmongering nature for conquest due to a need for survival.

possible: She'd learned from its history that Nohr had developed its warmongering lust for conquest from a desperate need for survival.

Once again, I don't really understand your use of "Even" here? What are you trying to specifically draw attention to here, what is the contrast I'm supposed to be recognizing? The rest was just me probably overzealously rewriting a sentence to better fit my tone, so I apologize if I got carried away.

original: What terrible, horrible, awful thing did she do in another life that such cruel fates would offer such a choice?

possible: What terrible, horrible, awful thing did she do in another life that such cruel fates would offer her this choice?

I really don't like your nearly back to back repetition of the word "such" which didn't seem to be done for deliberate effect, but rather seems the result of an over-reliance on a specific piece of vocabulary. Every author has certain "go to" words that they fall back on more than they should, and I certainly am a victim of that as well (in fact, I just fell victim to it in this sentence, didn't I? Can you see where?) Try to notice which ones you rely on perhaps more often than you should, and try to take steps to branch out to some synonyms when possible. It'll be an ongoing struggle, but it helps to keep your writing fresh and vibrant.

original: The memory of Azura and her song, echoing from the haze of her mind as she had raged from loss and grief over her mother as a dragon.

possible: The memory of Azura and her song echoed through her mind from the haze-filled time she'd spent raging as a dragon over the grief that losing her mother had brought her.

I'll be the first to admit, I feel like my suggested fix here still has a lot of improvement that could probably be done to it. But let's look at the problems in your original for a moment. Let's take out some of the fluff that keeps the sentence exciting to examine if it works on a basic level:

"The memory, echoing from her mind as she had raged." Something about that just doesn't read right, does it? That's not actually a complete sentence at all, is it? "Well of course not, you've removed all the other words, Balcerzak," you might complain, but what did I delete that was an essential part of speech, rather than (important and useful) elaboration?

The fixed version is a little better at least:

"The memory echoed from the time she'd spent raging." So, as a basic sentence, we've already made some improvement. But did we retain the essential details?

Now, and this is perhaps an incorrect assumption, in the original you're using the phrase "the haze of her mind" to illustrate the fact that when she shifted to dragon form she sort of lost herself, and couldn't fully remember what had happened. In the suggested fix, this is retained by perhaps a little too bluntly rewording it as "the haze-filled time". Now context will still clue the reader in that this is not literal haze, because the phrase "echoed through her mind from" is leading directly into it.

Most importantly though, the proposed fix cleans up what feels like a major possible ambiguity by a sloppy phrase "as a dragon" which originally came at the end of your sentence in the form of "grief over her mother as a dragon." Wait, her mother was a dragon? Is that really the case? Unless I'm horribly wrong about the events in Fates (and this is entirely possible) I have to assume this is not the case, and is not what you intended to say here. I was positive that you mean the "as a dragon" to apply to the "time she had spent raging" and felt that if that was the case then they desperately needed to be closer together, to minimize possible misreading.

Wow, I feel like I kind of botched up trying to explain what went through my head in some of these cases, and made much ado out of nothing in others, but hopefully some of this is making sense? If not, please ask me again, and if you want, argue your original position so I know where you were coming from, and don't just rely on what I assumed you'd intended. Also, disclaimer, I'm not really an expert writer myself, and some of these are personal opinions that actual experts might even disagree with. But I still offer them because, as a reader, I feel they are useful, though perhaps the fault lies with me.

Edited by Balcerzak

She choose smash.

I jest - you injected the scene from the game with the gravity it deserved. It did leave me wanting to know the choice at the end though... >.>

Edited by Kakeyo

Don't worry, you pretty much got the theme.

It's unfortunate that at the end, Corrin didn't say the sentence: ''I'm so sorry everyone, but I have no choive but to...''

Otherwise, very good story.

Edited by Nym

Wow, I didn't expect to actually have anyone read and enjoy this; there are so many better and more deserving entries to be giving attention to, but I'm grateful nonetheless~!

I really liked what you did here. You tackled an important theme, and you worked at developing it with some elevated use of language. I do think you stumbled a bit on some of your more complicated sentences (I'll include a few examples in a spoiler to try to illustrate what I mean here), and there were some other minor mistakes throughout, but on the whole it's a solid entry that I enjoyed reading. Keep up the good work in the future, I expect good things from you.

[spoiler=minor nitpicks, ie common mistakes, missing words]
she had come to care for it and it's people.
its

Hinoka, her elder sister, had shown underneath her fierce demeanor was a girl mourning the loss of a family member
had shown that underneath

Its land was resource depleted.
Its land had been depleted of resources.
(not technically an error, but I feel an improvement nonetheless)

etc.

original: Though King Garon did not bequeath much, if any, love for her during her life, what love that was lacking from him was made up tenfold by her siblings,
possible: Though King Garon had not shown her much (if any) love, what she'd lacked in that department had been made up for tenfold by her siblings,

Bequeath is a fun word, and outside the day-to-day vocabulary of most people, but I don't think it really fit well on this occasion. It's rather formal and impersonal, and hardly suited for expressing affection, although maybe that was something you had deliberately considered, given what you have to say about King Garon. That aside though, there's some more awkwardness hidden in the original sentence. If we take out the parenthetical, and switch to simpler synonyms for the sake of examining the flow we get:
"He had not shown much love for her during her life"
Doesn't that make it sound like Corrin has passed on? That's not the message you're trying to send, obviously. In fact, I'm pretty sure the "during her life" part was supposed to imply a sense of ongoing, rather than relying on any individual instances, but that's not how the words come off when taken at their face value. At least, not to me. Then, after the comma, we have:
"what love that was lacking from him was made up tenfold by her siblings"
Don't get me wrong, I like what the clause is trying to express, and how you're doing a complex sentence with very apt comparisons here, but the wording you've chosen is clunky at best. You've got a complicated phrase, "love that was lacking from him", serving as the subject here, and honestly, distilling that down into something simpler would help immensely. In the end, for my suggestion I just relied on implication, considering that this follows directly from what was stated before the comma. The reader will know what is being discussed, so there's no need to spell it out again, awkwardly.
The only other issue I took with this sentence was your choice of tense, as your original used "did not" and "was made up", sticking with plain past tense. I feel like past perfect is a much better fit, as it helps set the timeframe as further back and already completed, when contrasted with the usual tendency for narration to rely on simple past to describe what is happening to the readers.

original: Leo, her younger brother who was definitely more intelligent and probably more mature than even her, taught her things about the world and about life that she may have never known otherwise, cultivating her healthy desire to learn.
possible: Leo--her younger brother who was definitely more intelligent, and probably even more mature than she was--had taught her things about the world and about life, things that she may have never otherwise learned, which cultivated her healthy desire to learn.
I really felt like you needed to use better punctuation to help organize your parenthetical descriptors (which I really liked) in this complicated sentence. Without them, a reader could find themselves getting mixed up and confused. Speaking of confused, maybe this is just me, but I found your use of "even" to be questionable. Why would it be notable that Leo is more mature than "even her"? Is Corrin supposed to be especially mature for her age? With the slightly different placement of the word, leading to "Leo was probably even more mature than her", the role of the word shifts so that it's just indicating another interesting feature of Leo's, and doesn't seem to provide the same level of emphasis or judgement on the matter.
Anyway, now that the parentheticals are properly delineated, we can easily make sure the sentence works as a whole by covering them up and making sure it still reads fine:
"Leo had taught her things about the world and about life which cultivated her healthy desire to learn." (You could even simplify it further to "Leo had taught her things which cultivated her desire to learn", if so inclined.)
I had to tweak some tenses and things to make it come out just right, but this is the sort of thing you should strive to do to keep your ambitious sentences from overwhelming the reader, losing them in the process. Properly offsetting with punctuation is important, and if simply relying on commas alone will introduce ambiguity, by all means, make use of the em dash.
(I guess your original sentence as written would read "Leo taught her things about the world and about life that she may have never known otherwise", which is honestly a perfectly fine sentence, but I feel like the focus is different and not where you intended. I could very well be wrong, and what I took to be parenthetical was actually your main thrust. If so, I apologize. Also, perhaps I just like to add more commas than is rightly good for me, and thus feel compelled to use the em dash for that reason. Even if that's so, I still think it's a wonderful piece of punctuation that shouldn't be forgotten.)

original: Even she knew from history that Nohr had developed it's warmongering nature for conquest due to a need for survival.
possible: She'd learned from its history that Nohr had developed its warmongering lust for conquest from a desperate need for survival.
Once again, I don't really understand your use of "Even" here? What are you trying to specifically draw attention to here, what is the contrast I'm supposed to be recognizing? The rest was just me probably overzealously rewriting a sentence to better fit my tone, so I apologize if I got carried away.

original: What terrible, horrible, awful thing did she do in another life that such cruel fates would offer such a choice?
possible: What terrible, horrible, awful thing did she do in another life that such cruel fates would offer her this choice?
I really don't like your nearly back to back repetition of the word "such" which didn't seem to be done for deliberate effect, but rather seems the result of an over-reliance on a specific piece of vocabulary. Every author has certain "go to" words that they fall back on more than they should, and I certainly am a victim of that as well (in fact, I just fell victim to it in this sentence, didn't I? Can you see where?) Try to notice which ones you rely on perhaps more often than you should, and try to take steps to branch out to some synonyms when possible. It'll be an ongoing struggle, but it helps to keep your writing fresh and vibrant.

original: The memory of Azura and her song, echoing from the haze of her mind as she had raged from loss and grief over her mother as a dragon.
possible: The memory of Azura and her song echoed through her mind from the haze-filled time she'd spent raging as a dragon over the grief that losing her mother had brought her.
I'll be the first to admit, I feel like my suggested fix here still has a lot of improvement that could probably be done to it. But let's look at the problems in your original for a moment. Let's take out some of the fluff that keeps the sentence exciting to examine if it works on a basic level:
"The memory, echoing from her mind as she had raged." Something about that just doesn't read right, does it? That's not actually a complete sentence at all, is it? "Well of course not, you've removed all the other words, Balcerzak," you might complain, but what did I delete that was an essential part of speech, rather than (important and useful) elaboration?
The fixed version is a little better at least:
"The memory echoed from the time she'd spent raging." So, as a basic sentence, we've already made some improvement. But did we retain the essential details?
Now, and this is perhaps an incorrect assumption, in the original you're using the phrase "the haze of her mind" to illustrate the fact that when she shifted to dragon form she sort of lost herself, and couldn't fully remember what had happened. In the suggested fix, this is retained by perhaps a little too bluntly rewording it as "the haze-filled time". Now context will still clue the reader in that this is not literal haze, because the phrase "echoed through her mind from" is leading directly into it.
Most importantly though, the proposed fix cleans up what feels like a major possible ambiguity by a sloppy phrase "as a dragon" which originally came at the end of your sentence in the form of "grief over her mother as a dragon." Wait, her mother was a dragon? Is that really the case? Unless I'm horribly wrong about the events in Fates (and this is entirely possible) I have to assume this is not the case, and is not what you intended to say here. I was positive that you mean the "as a dragon" to apply to the "time she had spent raging" and felt that if that was the case then they desperately needed to be closer together, to minimize possible misreading.

Wow, I feel like I kind of botched up trying to explain what went through my head in some of these cases, and made much ado out of nothing in others, but hopefully some of this is making sense? If not, please ask me again, and if you want, argue your original position so I know where you were coming from, and don't just rely on what I assumed you'd intended. Also, disclaimer, I'm not really an expert writer myself, and some of these are personal opinions that actual experts might even disagree with. But I still offer them because, as a reader, I feel they are useful, though perhaps the fault lies with me.

Thank you sooo much for your critique! I did a once over of it and it all seems like perfectly correct and sound advice; I read a lot more than I write, and I hadn't written anything like this in awhile so I hope you'll forgive the terrible problems I have with sentence formation and some misuses of words and syntax. I plan on going through your suggestions more thoroughly to better this when I have some time, as it was sorely needed. This is what I get for spilling all of this emotional word salad into a word document within 3 hours of the deadline and only having time for a quick once over for obvious mistakes and typos. Will definitely try to not do this at the last minute next time. DX

I'm very happy you enjoyed it though, and I'm honored you think well of my writing; I know you don't give praise willy-nilly. I would truly appreciate it if you would continue to look over my work in the future~! :D

She choose smash.

I jest - you injected the scene from the game with the gravity it deserved. It did leave me wanting to know the choice at the end though... >.>

Oh, good! I've only seen some of the first several chapters from the reviewer videos online, so not having personally played the game yet made me feel that it might not be a totally authentic work. I'm relieved that it came across well.

I purposefully left the choice open to interpretation and tried not to let anything bias it more towards one side than the other, so that you can feasibly believe that Corrin could choose anything at that point---even Smash, though it would be a little bit of an OOC choice I suppose. XD

Don't worry, you pretty much got the theme.

It's unfortunate that at the end, Corrin didn't say the sentence: ''I'm so sorry everyone, but I have no choive but to...''

Otherwise, very good story.

Thank you! I'm really glad that I did; I put myself squarely into that position and after going through everything I personally would think and feel in her shoes (her bare feet, excuse me), I poured it all out into a short story. I tried my best to meld what is presented as fact in the game, the feelings of all sides involved, and my own personal feelings of how Corrin would try to choose. Glad I managed to make it into a coherent read; I was really into it while writing (even had "Map E3" from the game playing in the background to set the mood) and I got teary eyed at points.

I considered that at some point, but decided to make the ending a bit more ambiguous. I like that no matter what the choice is, Corrin does "choose", of her own volition; even to Smash, if she wants. ;)

Edited by Silver Lightning