Full lineup of English voice actors...?

Pete-of-the-Forge

I understand the whole licensing thing in terms the reasons of probably why there isn't dual audio, but could someone explain the whole union thing to me? I don't know a ton about the voice acting biz so that'd be great.

Unions are kind of a tricky thing. From my understanding joining a union gives you certain benefits and a slightly bigger pay but you can only do union approved jobs. If you do a non union job you normally have to pay a fee and might even get kicked out. Now most video game and anime voice acting jobs are not union approved so to not get in trouble some voice actors will do the job under a fake name or not have their name listed at all. This is why it can be hard to know who is voicing who sometimes.

This is just my understanding of it and my info might be a bit old so things could be different now.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unions are kind of a tricky thing. From my understanding joining a union gives you certain benefits and a slightly bigger pay but you can only do union approved jobs. If you do a non union job you normally have to pay a fee and might even get kicked out. Now most video game and anime voice acting jobs are not union approved so to not get in trouble some voice actors will do the job under a fake name or not have their name listed at all. This is why it can be hard to know who is voicing who sometimes.

This is just my understanding of it and my info might be a bit old so things could be different now.

FWIW I really think voice acting unions are a really bad thing because they really restrict what a voice actor can do. I don't think it's fair that they can dictate their career so freely. I'm assuming Lowenthal isn't Union and yet he has more roles than almost anyone else in the business. I'd think that it'd be more lucrative to go independent if you can consistantly find jobs like he can.

EDIT: did anyone notice how I really just used really three times in one sentence

Edited by Ms. Andrews

So apparently one of the voice actors is named Nigel Oakenshield? As in Thorin Oakenshield, son of Thrain, son of Thror?

I'll say this outright: that's one kickass pseudonym.

EDIT: But then again, there's a guy with the last name of "Woolslayer", so it may be real. I doubt it, though.

Edited by The DanMan

FWIW I really think voice acting unions are a really bad thing because they really restrict what a voice actor can do. I don't think it's fair that they can dictate their career so freely. I'm assuming Lowenthal isn't Union and yet he has more roles than almost anyone else in the business. I'd think that it'd be more lucrative to go independent if you can consistantly find jobs like he can.

EDIT: did anyone notice how I really just used really three times in one sentence

Keep in mind that there is actually something called "financial core" or "fi-core." It's basically a "third option" where a voice actor is allowed to do both union and non-union voice work. I know for certain that D.C. Douglas, Wendee Lee, and Cristina Vee are fi-core voice actors and many of the voice actors who work in anime dubs are fi-core. That being said, many voice actors who are actually don't list it in their resume since listing fi-core would actually bar some voice actors from working in certain union-shops (particularly AAA video game titles).

That being, there are some voice actors I've recognized. Max Mittelman, like Brianna Knickerbocker, is one of the newer voice actors known for his anime and western animation voice roles (Inaho Kaizuka from Aldnoah.Zero, Hikari Sakishima from Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea, and Kousei Arima from Your Lie in April that comes into mind). IIRC, I believe Max Mittelman is actually voicing Silas judging from the voice clips I've listened (Antony del Rio is unlikely since IIRC, he's also a union-only voice actor, but I may wrong on that one).

Also, keep in mind that it's possible that the voice credits didn't list every voice actor involved. They only highlighted the popular voice actors, but not link them to particular character. This indicate that the Fates dub might be a non-union project or possibly that Nintendo's NDA is much stricter for this game. So it's best to wait out until the release date and keep an eye on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media websites where the voice actors will reveal everything.

David Vincent's in there but idk who he voices.

Wow, I was so misinformed the past 3 years lol. I always get VAs mixed up anyway so I was always under the assumption that the wiki was right.

Wait, wasn't Danielle credited in the... credits?

David Vincent's in there but idk who he voices.

Jason Adkins, Laura Bailey, David Vincent, and Yuri Lowenthal are all in there, so I think it's safe to assume that they're just counting the amiibo units

which makes me kinda sad because it would be pretty cool if Laura Bailey and David Vincent were people in this game

Jason Adkins, Laura Bailey, David Vincent, and Yuri Lowenthal are all in there, so I think it's safe to assume that they're just counting the amiibo units

which makes me kinda sad because it would be pretty cool if Laura Bailey and David Vincent were people in this game

whoops forgot he was robin

Also I tihnk Laura Bailey is voicing Scarlet too

Maybe, just maybe he voiced another character, I like a lot David voice with Robin:)

whoops forgot he was robin

Also I tihnk Laura Bailey is voicing Scarlet too

huh I never actually considered that until now

listening to her again... yeah I can see that. not too sure but it's definitely possible

Maybe, just maybe he voiced another character, I like a lot David voice with Robin:)

i'd love it if that happened but I don't think anyone else really sounds like him

i could be wrong though I'm not too familiar with his work

Edited by maybe

I'm actually glad that there's a lot of new voices in the cast, well known or not. Why not give them a chance? It's nice getting voice actors that we already know are good, but I think it's great to mix it up because we hear a lot of the same voices everywhere. The fact that they may be using aliases makes things interesting, though. I mean everyone was so sure that Antony Del Rio is Silas, and now it's kind of a mystery, though I still think it's him.

Kaiji Tang voices more than one character in Fates:

https://twitter.com/KaijiTang/status/698554417746878465

So obviously he's Odin, but I wonder who else? One of the kids, maybe?

Interesting... I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up voicing someone like Shinonome. There are several characters left whom we haven't heard a peep out of, though, so who knows.

I am still sticking to my belief that David Vincent is Leo. I will stick to that until the credits tell me otherwise.

Interesting voice actor cast choice. They've got a lot of unknowns mixed in with the familiar faces, but in some cases that hasn't been a bad thing. We'll see how they sound when the game hits.

Edited by Abvora

The folks at BTVA are currently working on figuring out who voices who (and yes, BTVA is actually fare more trustworthy than IMDB and they are quick to fix any mistakes as well). Currently, this is what they have so far:

Male Corrin: Cam Clarke, Yuri Lowenthal

Female Corrin: Marcella Lentz-Pope

Ryouma: Matthew Mercer

Azura: Rena Strober

Sakura: Brianna Knickerbocker

Garon: Travis Willingham

Jakob: Ben Diskin

Gunter: D.C. Douglas

Silas: Max Mittelman

Saizo: Ben Diskin

Rinkah: Stephanie Lemelin

Arthur: Cam Clarke

Odin: Kaiji Tang

Laslow: Liam O'Brien

Niles: Yuri Lowenthal

Charlotte: Brianna Knickerbocker

Selena: Julie Ann Taylor

Asugi: Gideon Emery

Caeldori: Julie Ann Taylor

Rhajat: Stephanie Sheh

Yukimura: Paul Eiding

Marth: Yuri Lowenthal

Ike: Jason Adkins

Robin: David Vincent

Lucina: Laura Bailey

Edited by Dark Paladin X

I don't think it has been mentioned yet (in this thread anyway), so here's one of my guesses: Liam O'Brien voices Izana. I wasn't sure at first, but I'll very surprised if it's not him.

I hear his signature Liam growl in his voice. I am 100% sure that it's him.

Marth: Yuri Lowenthal

I'm curious.... The first time Marth will have an englsh voice.Though I'll try not to spoil myself so I'll keep waiting. until the game releases... in Europe

At least I'm not scared of knowing the names of the voice actors since I don't know any of them...

Edited by Luxian

I'm curious.... The first time Marth will ahve an englsh voice.Though I'll try not to spoil myself so I'll keep waiting. until the game releases... in Europe

Not the first time actually. He was voiced by Spike Spencer in the Fire Emblem OVA YEARS ago and then Yuri Lowenthal voiced Marth in Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.

Also, it's sad that no one seems to remember that Karen Strassman also voiced Anna in Awakening, so it was a near given that she would be returning in Fates.

Someone brought up an interesting thing, Laura Faye Smith is listed here and she's the current voice of Rosalina in the Super Mario series. I wonder who she voices in Fates.

Wait a second, if I make a Male Avatar voiced by Yuri and marry him to Niles...would that mean what I think it means?

In a side note, it seems that besides being a water dragon, Liquid Snake now fights for justice!

Edited by Water Mage

Can we just acknowledge the beauty of the fact that Liquid Snake is voicing Corrin and Arthur.Edit: Water Mage Kazed me

Also, Paul Elding, the VA of Roy Campbell in MGS, is voicing a character who reminds me of Otacon from MGS. This pleases me.

Edited by MCProductions