Takumi has to be the greatest archer in the series.

Anacybele

Shinon? lol

Rolf owns Shinon a million times over.

Which Rolf?

Also, what Kelsper said.

Takumi is the best Archer since 3-13.

i hado to sorry

*steps on toe*

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shinon? lol

Rolf owns Shinon a million times over.

I assume FE10.

Why should I put effort into Rolf when Shinon is instantly more useful and Rolf actually doesn't even turn out strictly better than him?

Yes, if you throw favoritism at Rolf he may turn out slightly better (in terms of strength, HP and luck) and even then just because Shinon doesn't cap it doesn't make it worthwhile. Shinon still has better speed, skill, defense, resistance with minimal effort. Shinon has 12 additional levels over Rolf. Not worth.

Edited by Tryhard

Rolf is the best archer in both PoR and RD. Give him the Knights Ring and he becomes God like.

Just my two bits ... Shinon comes out the box strong, but come end game, he really can't compare to Rolf.

It isn't favoritism either ... I think Shinon is a cool character but honestly, Rolf is OP.

Rolf is the best archer in both PoR and RD. Give him the Knights Ring and he becomes God like.

Just my two bits ... Shinon comes out the box strong, but come end game, he really can't compare to Rolf.

It isn't favoritism either ... I think Shinon is a cool character but honestly, Rolf is OP.

lol

Forgot about Astrid, as far as FE9's concerned? Also, why give him the Knight Ring when Reyson can put it to better use?

lol

Forgot about Astrid, as far as FE9's concerned? Also, why give him the Knight Ring when Reyson can put it to better use?

Astrid is terrible. She is way too fragile.

Reyson is awesome, but unlike Rolf, he can destroy any class on the map, including those with high RES.

I thought this forum was well informed ... Rolf is a top 5 character in both games, without question.

http://serenesforest.net/radiant-dawn/characters/average-stats/shinon/

http://serenesforest.net/radiant-dawn/characters/average-stats/rolf/

Look at their averages, even end game. It's not going to make any noticeable difference. A few extra points of damage isn't worth it for the 12 levels you have to give Rolf to get him to the same level.

In terms of consistency, Shinon is absolutely the better archer/sniper.

As for FE9, well, I don't think Shinon is very good in that (he is not) so I'm always saying FE10 Shinon.

Edited by Tryhard

http://serenesforest.net/radiant-dawn/characters/average-stats/shinon/

http://serenesforest.net/radiant-dawn/characters/average-stats/rolf/

Look at their averages, even end game. It's not going to make any noticeable difference. A few extra points of damage isn't worth it for the 12 levels you have to give Rolf to get him to the same level.

In terms of consistency, Shinon is absolutely the better archer/sniper.

You have Rolf pretty much the entire game while you get Shinon here and there?

Also, as you stated, Rolf turns out as the better archer. =D

EDIT: I can't believe I'm having this conversation regarding Rolf ... He is without question up there with Oscar and Haar as one of the best characters in the PoR / RD series. I'll take a break from posting, hear what others think. Fun conversation without question, though!

Edited by Volke29

Reyson is awesome, but unlike Rolf, he can destroy any class on the map, including those with high RES.

I thought this forum was well informed ... Rolf is a top 5 character in both games, without question.

Not sure if serious.

He's the greatest archer in the series because all of the other archers are absolutely horrid.

I'd personally take that to say more about archers as a whole than Takumi himself... But of course, I think that a good deal of the snipers in the series aren't that bad.

You have Rolf pretty much the entire game while you get Shinon here and there?

Also, as you stated, Rolf turns out as the better archer. =D

EDIT: I can't believe I'm having this conversation regarding Rolf ... He is without question up there with Oscar and Haar as one of the best characters in the PoR / RD series. I'll take a break from posting, hear what others think. Fun conversation without question, though!

Shinon has the same availability, what do you mean? I assume you mean FE9, in which case I'm not contesting that.

If I am comparing what unit is strictly better from an efficiency standpoint, why should I use a unit that is going to start weaker, pretty far behind in level (and will continue to be so) when another has significantly better bases, requires less effort, is ahead in level (and thus requires less experience), and does not fall off like a typical Jeigan would?

So how did I state that Rolf turns out as the better archer? Because he has higher strength? Dealing the most damage possible is not optimal, dealing just enough is. And since Rolf only beats Shinon in HP, Strength and Luck (HP and Luck really not being important), but loses in Skill, Speed, Defense, Resistance (which speed and defense I would argue are more important stats). So he doesn't even turn out as the better archer, unless you really like seeing a green capped stat for Strength. Plus you can go dump that experience that you would have put into Rolf either into Shinon or onto another unit. Shinon has a better affinity IMO since Snipers don't really need any additional hit.

Shinon starts very strong, continues to consistently be so, and doesn't even objectively get beaten by Rolf at maximum level. And even if he is (which I don't think so), why would the character that would be weaker for 80-90% of the time you have them be better than the unit that is better for that time and is still great for the rest. This makes no sense.

Edited by Tryhard

You seem to be talking about Path of Radiance (everyone here already knows Astrid is like, the fourth worst character in Radiant Dawn), so here are Rolf's and Astrid's average stats at 20/1:

Rolf: HP - 32, Def - 13, Res - 8

Astrid: HP - 33, Def - 13, Res - 10

Then you remember that Astrid has access to the Knight Ward (she comes with it, even!) for +2 Def/Res, +2 move for better positioning flexibility on the enemy phase, as well as her choice of Swords/Axes/Lance to help leverage the weapon triangle in her favor. Not to mention she also has Paragon, so she'll be leveling up much faster than Rolf and therefore increase her durability lead over him even more.

As for Rolf vs. Shinon in Radiant Dawn, you have to realize that Rolf will not possibly outclass Shinon until the very end of the game once your units start reaching max level, because due to the massive level difference by the time Rolf 'catches up' to Shinon, Shinon could have used that EXP to get even farther ahead of Rolf. Yeah, he gets less EXP due to being a higher level, but Rolf is twelve levels in the hole here - he's too far behind to catch up, especially since Shinon has an easier time getting that EXP because he does more damage and doubles basically everything when he joins (Rolf on the other hand, doubles nothing at all). In addition, Shinon can use BEXP to reliably increase his Strength once he starts capping his other stats, so Rolf's only advantage over him just disappears.

Edited by Radiant Dragon

Takumi's at his best in Revelations, and is comparable to FE12 Ryan if Ryan had a 14 Mt super bow and didn't need statboosters. Still incredibly strong for no investment in Birthright and has C11/13 to his name.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

Well, I can promote Takumi now, but I don't know which class to give him! This is the reason I always preferred Tellius's promotion system over branched promotions... I was originally going to pick Kinshi Knight for mount/movement and so Takumi isn't bow-locked, but then I saw that he'd also actually LOSE a point of strength.

And Sniper increases his strength and other stuff, but he doesn't get the extra movement or second weapon.

These are his stats now at lv. 20.

HP: 31

Str: 18

Spd: 17

Mag: 0

Lck: 15

Skl: 26

Def: 15

Res: 8

Also, I thought people said Takumi was fragile? He can take hits just fine here. Just keep him away from magic. And I'm not finding many enemy magic users in Hoshido so far.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm not deeply invested in stat research, but I can vouch for the fact that Takumi has gotten me out of a few messes since I got him, has been consistently helpful and actually just ended up being my first level 20 promoted unit a few minutes ago. (Made him go Sniper.) I'm at the start of Birthright Chapter 13 if that tells you how much I've been using him I've had him in each chapter since he joined, plus Dwyer and Asugi's paralogues, plus two Challenge maps.

Also worth noting, since he says it's "this forum" that thinks Rolf is bad - /r/fireemblem rated Rolf the single worst character in FE9 when they made a tier list. So there's that too.

They sound like sheep. Maybe most people haven't figured out how to invest in Rolf to make him pay off much much earlier than everyone here is suggesting. I've beaten both games at least 6 times.

Ah, then I'll go Kinshi Knight, even though I'm on Normal mode. I'm just not an expert at FE and never was. lol I'm not terrible though, I DID beat RD, which is difficult even on the lowest difficulty level.