Still pretty disappointed that none of the female Royals, but FemCorrin, gets a unique weapon

Pretty_Handsome

?????

Please help?

Let me rephrase- characterization wise, and age wise, I view both Camilla and Hinoka as superior, far and away , to their younger brothers. Leo... He's cool but meh. Takumi... Is Takumi. Not going to really go into spoilers but that's just my take.

Let me rephrase- characterization wise, and age wise, I view both Camilla and Hinoka as superior, far and away , to their younger brothers. Leo... He's cool but meh. Takumi... Is Takumi. Not going to really go into spoilers but that's just my take.

Characterization and age is one thing; importance is something far, far different. If you think that the elder sisters are superior in characterization and age, that's your opinion. But when it comes to story importance (which was what your statement implies), I don't see how that's even possible. Hinoka is like the single most forgettable sibling in all three routes.

Characterization and age is one thing; importance is something far, far different. If you think that the elder sisters are superior in characterization and age, that's your opinion. But when it comes to story importance (which was what your statement implies), I don't see how that's even possible. Hinoka is like the single most forgettable sibling in all three routes.

Really? I would say Sakura is FAR more forgettable. Heck, after Takumi's first battle I forgot about him as well. I'm around 29 in Relevations and 12 in Conquest. When Hinoka said her line when you joined the Nohr siblings... Man it really hurt. And I do agree that all three are different things, I just can't see Takumi being more important than her. When I get my computer back tomorrow I can write a lot more, writing on a phone screen is iriitaning.

Did you play or see anything in Hoshido route at all? (Assuming you haven't played Revelations.) Once you see what happens in those two paths, you will see why Hinoka is the most forgettable fucking sibling in this game. Reportedly, she didn't even exist in the original draft of the game -- and it SHOWS.

I hate to be the history dickweed of this thread, but women tended to inherit nothing except a name and prestige from being born into nobility unless their spouse/parent was cool/backed into a complete corner in terms of heirs. It sucks, yeah, but it's unsurprising.

I will never understand why this is an argument used when talking about Fire Emblem in any way, shape or form. The medieval setting is so romanticized and things are cherry-picked to the degree that it can't possibly compare to the real life era it was based on. Yeah, that's how it was back then, but then you'd also have to explain why everyone in the army can be buddy-buddy with royals, has white teeth and are clean, etc.

Yes, in real life back then it would make sense, but Fire Emblem games (at least the localized installments with which I'm familiar) have never had an accurate portrayal of the medieval era or its gender politics; as has been point out, there have been plenty of women with their unique weapons (not to mention important roles in the game). The fact remains that the siblings are supposed to be very important characters in the narrative, yet only the men get special weapons, and this is never explained.

Really? I would say Sakura is FAR more forgettable. Heck, after Takumi's first battle I forgot about him as well. I'm around 29 in Relevations and 12 in Conquest. When Hinoka said her line when you joined the Nohr siblings... Man it really hurt. And I do agree that all three are different things, I just can't see Takumi being more important than her. When I get my computer back tomorrow I can write a lot more, writing on a phone screen is iriitaning.

Well, this is certainly an opinion I haven't heard before. I can't remember a single line Hinoka says in any route, and in the one you've played, she just awkwardly tags along Ryouma and then doesn't do much more, whereas it at least takes time and effort to convince Takumi to join you.

Still, Revelations does suffer from a bloated cast, so no one really has time to stick out.

Edited by Thane

Did you play or see anything in Hoshido route at all? (Assuming you haven't played Revelations.) Once you see what happens in those two paths, you will see why Hinoka is the most forgettable fucking sibling in this game. Reportedly, she didn't even exist in the original draft of the game -- and it SHOWS.

I'm up to 20 in Relevations. Haven't played Hoshido, up to 12ihs in Conquest. Her very first line is "I've been fighting all along... for this?" Or something like that, when you "betray" her. It's heart wrenching. Then you learn in supports about her relationship with the Queen, you learn about... On a phone and can't spoiler tag. Basically, every support conversation, every time I see her do something, she seems very very unique and awesome. Obviously I am in the minority here, I just enjoy her, and feel like she is a better character than, Takumi. In fact, the only thing I remember Takumi for is being a jerk to his son and being a jerk to me an Azura. Yeah, he has his reasons, but I don't find him compelling or interesting at all.

I'm up to 20 in Relevations. Haven't played Hoshido, up to 12ihs in Conquest. Her very first line is "I've been fighting all along... for this?" Or something like that, when you "betray" her. It's heart wrenching. Then you learn in supports about her relationship with the Queen, you learn about... On a phone and can't spoiler tag. Basically, every support conversation, every time I see her do something, she seems very very unique and awesome. Obviously I am in the minority here, I just enjoy her, and feel like she is a better character than, Takumi. In fact, the only thing I remember Takumi for is being a jerk to his son and being a jerk to me an Azura. Yeah, he has his reasons, but I don't find him compelling or interesting at all.

Hinoka may have good support conversations but as far as the main story is concerned, she does nearly nothing. Hoshido really is the Takumi and Ryoma show, while Azura is the most prominent female character. Even Sakura at least gets to shine as a healer at least a few times, but Hinoka's skills aren't really utilized at all. I feel like even Camilla has had more to say as your adversary than Hinoka does as your ally. While you may not like Takumi for his hostility during the main story, it's just the truth that the game focuses on him a lot.

Hinoka may have good support conversations but as far as the main story is concerned, she does nearly nothing. Hoshido really is the Takumi and Ryoma show, while Azura is the most prominent female character. Even Sakura at least gets to shine as a healer at least a few times, but Hinoka's skills aren't really utilized at all. I feel like even Camilla has had more to say as your adversary than Hinoka does as your ally. While you may not like Takumi for his hostility during the main story, it's just the truth that the game focuses on him a lot.

Meh I will withdraw my points then. Again haven't played birthright but If its three on one in an opinion- then it's clear my opinion isn't in the minority but it is rather a wrong judgment. Thank you all, I truly do love chats like this even if I lost this one :).

I think that all the female royals should have unique weapons that bonded to Azura's lance just like teh men's do with Corrin's sword. They'd be chosen by the weapons just like Corrin was chosen by the Yatogami (and the other royal sibling by their regular weapons). I think Camilla should recieve an axe with a parallel effect to that of Leo's weapon, Hinoka a lance that negates weaknesses, Elise a tome that would give her a healing area (like the skill Amaterasu, but with different range and or value) and Sakura a magic yumi/spell that'd grant her a buffing area effect (like the skill Strategist but with different effects/range, or maybe just increasing her own skill range).

I agree. It's pretty bad that the royal sisters don't get their own unique weapon. Not even Azura gets one and she's one of the more important characters in all three routes. I guess it was too much effort to give the royal sisters something. With Nohr's case especially there is really no excuse. And no the medieval settings argument does not work that well in Fire Emblem including this one.

Edited by Frelia

I hate to be the history dickweed of this thread, but women tended to inherit nothing except a name and prestige from being born into nobility unless their spouse/parent was cool/backed into a complete corner in terms of heirs. It sucks, yeah, but it's unsurprising.

Nohr is based off the Eldest so Camilla has priority over Leon so... That's a weak excuse.

I disagree as Hinoka appears in the story more than Takumi on the prologue-> Hoshido route so...

Edited by Pretty_Handsome