Couple of Class/Skill Questions

PlasticandRage

I'm doing some promoting, and was wondering a couple of things:

Is Savage Blow a good steady way of gaining decent new equipment? I'd planned on making Rinkah an Oni Chieftain for a while, because she has a decent enough magic stat to probably make the tomes worthwhile, and 20 skill unpromoted, so I figured the addition of magic and Death Blow would be the smart choice. But I'm looking at her stat increases each way, and she'd get a huge skill increase if I went Blacksmith, not on par with the addition of Death Blow I wouldn't think, but enough that she'd probably be throwing criticals more than she is now, and she already is quite a bit. The deal breaker for me would be how worthwhile Savage Blow is. Probably my biggest problem this playthrough has been not being able to equip my team properly. Almost all my characters have weapon levels that are higher than their equipment, which has been tickling my inventory management OCD just right, and I'd love to get a few more Steel weapons to pass around. Or more Javelins would be a miracle with all the lance users I've ended up with. Or even just more free iron weapons to use at the forge would be nice. So what're people's experience with Savage Blow like? Am I almost never going to see new equipment or is it all going to be Brass garbage or something or would it be worth going Blacksmith for?

Other question is about Basara vs Onmyoji. I'd planned on making Orochi an Onmyoji, just for what seemed like the class that favors straight magic more. She literally has 0 strength at level 16, so I thought adding a strength weapon to her just seemed silly in comparison to a higher magic stat, Tomefaire, and the addition of another high magic staff wielder to my team. Looking at her stats and the increases though, I'm not so sure now. Skill is my Orochi's highest stat, at 20 unpromoted, and it looks like Quixotic with Rend Heaven would just have her destroying everything. So I guess I'm wondering if that combo, Quixotic and Rend Heaven with a skill stat that's already pretty good, would win out in usefulness vs higher magic with Tomefaire and the ability to use staffs? I'll already have 3 other staff users on the team, but 2 of them won't have magic stats that are super high, so she'd probably end up being my second string healer as an Onmyoji. Thoughts?

Salvage Blow gets you Iron equipment of the type that the defeated enemy used. It should be noted, however, it only works if the user initiated the battle. Its activation rate is also based on Luck.

As far as Quixotic goes, I'm not a fan of it - the boost to the enemy's accuracy makes it questionable, especially for a level 15 skill.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Well as far as Quixotic goes I guess what Im hoping for is that the skill % boost will mean a rend heaven on the opening shot more often than not, especially with high base skill already and rend heavens seemingly high trigger percentage. Wouldnt that translate to most enemies dying before they can attack anyway? She has pretty high magic too, so id assume if its going to trigger, whatever its hitting is going to die unless its a boss or something.

Savage Blow is definitely only ever iron stuff? That's confirmed that you haven't just gotten unlucky? If so I wouldn't think that'd be worth it. As an Oni Chieftain my Rinkah would fall somewhere between a Berserker and a Knight, and I'm a big fan of both of those classes, and have nothing else even remotely like that on my team. At least not until I promote one of my cavaliers to a Great Knight.

Edited by PlasticandRage

Well as far as Quixotic goes I guess what Im hoping for is that the skill % boost will mean a rend heaven on the opening shot more often than not, especially with high base skill already and rend heavens seemingly high trigger percentage. Wouldnt that translate to most enemies dying before they can attack anyway? She has pretty high magic too, so id assume if its going to trigger, whatever its hitting is going to die unless its a boss or something.

The flaw with that logic is that Rend Heaven likely won't do much of anything to most physical units if you're using a tome...

From my Lunatic experience since I ran Salvage Blow at 20/5, swapped to Chieftain at 20/6 for Death Blow, then into Berserker (Corn S rank) after

It's nice if you wanna make iron forges. I have a +3 forge for Kaze and usually you don't go over +2 for nogrind. Iron forges end up stronger than steel, anyway.

Edited by Thor Odinson

The flaw with that logic is that Rend Heaven likely won't do much of anything to most physical units if you're using a tome...

Oh lame. I didn't realize it was just one or the other, depending on what kind of weapon you were using. I guess that makes that an easier choice. Nothing wrong with higher magic and another staff I guess.

From my Lunatic experience since I ran Salvage Blow at 20/5, swapped to Chieftain at 20/6 for Death Blow, then into Berserker (Corn S rank) after

It's nice if you wanna make iron forges. I have a +3 forge for Kaze and usually you don't go over +2 for nogrind. Iron forges end up stronger than steel, anyway.

Wait is there a way to go Blacksmith until I've unlocked Savage Blow, then either demote back to Oni Savage to take Chieftain or go right to Chieftain if I don't have anyone else capable of those classes? If there were a way for me to do that, that's definitely what I'd do, I just didn't think there was any way for me to do it without any other units capable of those classes, except either her husband or a potential A+, but can you swap back and forth like that?

Edited by PlasticandRage

Wait is there a way to go Blacksmith until I've unlocked Savage Blow, then either demote back to Oni Savage to take Chieftain or go right to Chieftain if I don't have anyone else capable of those classes? If there were a way for me to do that, that's definitely what I'd do, I just didn't think there was any way for me to do it without any other units capable of those classes.

Heart Seals, once you're promoted, allow you to access any other promoted class within the class trees that unit has. Basically, you could go right to Oni Chieftain from Blacksmith.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Heart Seals, once you're promoted, allow you to access any other promoted class within the class trees that unit has. Basically, you could go right to Oni Chieftain from Blacksmith.

Sweet. I was wondering what those did. You guys just made my day. The item description is a little cryptic.

Edited by PlasticandRage