Fates Eastern Aesthetic: Yay or Nay?

semolinaro

At first, I thought it would be refreshing to experience a new cultural take on the fire emblem series. I will say that the implementation of Hoshido's eastern theme is original and creative, but it just... takes me out of the game. It makes me feel like I'm not playing fire emblem. Its a cool idea just maybe not for fire emblem in my opinion. I much prefer the medieval/Renaissance theme that previous fire emblems had.

What do you think of the new eastern aesthetic?

It is very different from the western-medieval fantasy feel that FE usually has, but I don't mind it. I think it was handled well, especially the Apothecary / Great Merchant / Basara animations. Those are fantastic.

Not really my cup of tea, particularly with some armour designs like Diviners, but I can't deny its appeal. I'd like them to branch off into other cultures from now on instead of just traditional medieval knights.

Interesting. I think maybe I would have liked it more had the eastern side been less 'perfect and does no wrong!'. I feel like it's inclusion was due to cultural favoritism and I lost respect for it.

Well, I'm talking aesthetically. Everything aside from that is something I'm not too fond of.

I don't mind. Its nice to see something new. I'd really like to see other cultures too.

But I bet that whoever the equivalent to the Norse has the best weapons (Aurgelmir, Skadi, Ganglari, Brynhildr, Siegfried, I miss anything else?) but would probably be evil.

Fire Emblem has often had certain classes that take inspiration for eastern cultures (sword masters, nomads). It's nice to see that concept fully realized in Fates. Granted, fantasy Europe is the bread and butter of the series so I wouldn't want those elements excised entirely.

I really love it! The color scheme was honestly one of the main things that drew me towards Hoshido than Nohr because I'm a sucker for pink/red/white combos.

Of course it is very different than what the earlier games had, but it's nice to see some change and I think they played this change rather well in terms of Hoshido's aesthetics.

I love the eastern feel in Hoshido. However, I do have my doubts that IS will make the kingdoms in the next FE so different. Not because of controversy but probably because they are lazy and don't want to make country specific classes.

(LOL. On my Google Chrome, the auto correct for Hoshido is Bushido.)

I love the eastern feel in Hoshido. However, I do have my doubts that IS will make the kingdoms in the next FE so different. Not because of controversy but probably because they are lazy and don't want to make country specific classes.

(LOL. On my Google Chrome, the auto correct for Hoshido is Bushido.)

Either they give me an Egyptian civilisation or I do nothing and buy the next game anyway riot!

I like it. I like that the differences between the main countries are more emphasized than games where all the countries are just "fantasy-European". I hope they take inspiration from other cultures in future games.

What kind of classes/aesthetics would you hope for?

Something similar to Age of Mythology would be nice in terms of aesthetic. Classes would be based around which expy-God they're dedicated to; Horus for Spear Fighters, Set for Dark Mages, Isis for Healers, Ra for the return of Light Magic and Shapeshifters could be Sphinges (Sphinx) or giant crocodiles/scarabs.

Just let me dream, okay...

Something similar to Age of Mythology would be nice in terms of aesthetic. Classes would be based around which expy-God they're dedicated to; Horus for Spear Fighters, Set for Dark Mages, Isis for Healers, Ra for the return of Light Magic and Shapeshifters could be Sphinges (Sphinx) or giant crocodiles/scarabs.

A nation of sympathetic brown people... eh, let's keep our dreams a little more grounded in reality okay?

I can dig it. I suppose camel riders could become a thing. I could see magic being similar to Hoshidan spells, evoking a lot of animal imagery. Can I waifu a Cleopatra expy?

I quite like Hoshido's aesthetic and the breath of fresh air it brings, but I still prefer the classic medieval European fantasy designs. I wouldn't mind seeing more of this diversity later provided the old stuff stays around too.

While Hoshido's aesthetics are more or less Japanese inspired, I'd really love to see something like the Kou Empire from Magi (so pretty much China). I mean imagine fighting a horde of Terra Cotta soldiers ._.

A nation of sympathetic brown people... eh, let's keep our dreams a little more grounded in reality okay?

I can dig it. I suppose camel riders could become a thing. I could see magic being similar to Hoshidan spells, evoking a lot of animal imagery. Can I waifu a Cleopatra expy?

Well that went from zero to sixty pretty damn fast.

You may waifu the Cleopatra, but you might have to share with a Mark Anthony expy.

I would have liked it more if Hoshido would have been less "Japan" and more you know "East Asia". Chinese invented the black powder so they could have an interesting class that involves fire and explosion. Koreans have great archers. The wall of Susanoo could have been the great wall ect...

But yeah it's intersting but the focus of FE has always been medieval europe so I doubt they are going too far with it.

Having a persian empire country would be interesting though.

Interesting. I think maybe I would have liked it more had the eastern side been less 'perfect and does no wrong!'. I feel like it's inclusion was due to cultural favoritism and I lost respect for it.

Hoshido is not perfect. It has presented plenty of flaws in the story not sure if you have only played one version. Also cultural favoritism happens anywhere especially in the US. If you are gonna complain about that, I sure as heck hope that you won't watch all these hollywood war movies.

Edited by RadiantDragon

I'm a sucker for Japanese and overblown Japanese looks, so I really like Hoshido designs. For the most part but that Great Master mask...

THIS. NEEDS. TO. HAPPEN.

It would be glorious.

I was thinking Anubis for Dark Mages though

The most important part is that it fits the story and that the aesthetics are pleasant to look at. I really like the idea basing a nation on just anything other than a mix of different romantic takes on medieval Europe which can get old sometimes.

However, the most important part is that the aesthetics are pleasing and interesting to look at and fit in. Hoshido suits the setting, but I dislike so many character designs this time around since they went full-blown anime on armor, clothing and hair, and that's something I wish they'd go a bit easier on in the next installment more than anything design-wise.

Edited by Thane