How does Revelation compare to Conquest and Birthright Plotwise?

semolinaro

It's probably no secret that I'm really disappointed in Fates story... perhaps it's because I overhyped the game, but really, the writing is so shoddy overall that it hinders my gameplay experience. I know that Revelation is considered the 'canon' path that ties together the loose ends, but how is the plot compared to Conquest and Birthright? Better, worse, in the middle? Just curious.

I'd consider it worse, because they tie it up with: "hurr hurr it was[spoiler=revelation spoiler]durgons again"

in a sense. Revelations in my opinion had a lot of potential to be good, but they just waste it. Also how if you talk about the Invisible Land, you die, which drives both kingdoms absolutely insane because they think you're insane. Idk, i just find it bad.

Also, they treat poor Scarlet worse than in Conquest. Rip Butt monkey Wyvern Lord

Personally, I find it to be immensely superior.

Sure, it still has some problems, but it explains a lot of things that I like and has a lot of story elements that I really do rather like.

The whole dragon thing was hinted at in Conquest...

Personally, I don't think it's bad. I'd say it's the best of the three. Still has some problems, but in all seriousness I like it a whole lot more.

*sighs* okay, I'll end up playing it myself to fully judge but it sounds like I won't be impressed. I didn't think it could get worse than Conquest.

It doesn't. Only Birthright is worse than Conquest.

Revelation is vastly superior to both of them, at least to me.

Also Gunter has a an actual purpose.

I like it. Yeah, it has the dumb plot device in the curse, and the "it was an evil dragon" again, but honestly, the former is no worse than the Blood Pact and the latter is per norm for Fire Emblem. I thought the rest of it was quite good, especially the first half. They handled the concept of being an exile and a traitor on the run, with a handful of allies, desperately trying to gather more while no one believes you, very well.

The latter half's pacing was off, I thought, but I did like the

fights against the reanimated parents

and the "who's the traitor" subplot. Corrin gets a couple of awesome moments without being as overly-impossible-awesome as Robin, and the villain at the very least is above Grima and Garon by virtue of having a personality and a backstory. Dialogue is generally entertaining and well-written, and the cross-faction supports are almost all high in quality.

Revelation essentially being

the only unambiguously happy ending

may or may not sour your opinion on it. For me, it made me like it more, but

I'm a sucker for happy endings.

Honestly, if I were to pick a complaint, it's that Revelation could have used a few more chapters in the second half, to smooth out the pacing and give us a little more detail on some of the latter villains. And yes, I would have gotten rid of the plot device, but I'm not going to let my annoyance over it overshadow the things I do like about the route, which outnumber the things I don't.

Edited by Abvora

I like it. Yeah, it has the dumb plot device in the curse, and the "it was an evil dragon" again, but honestly, the former is no worse than the Blood Pact and the latter is per norm for Fire Emblem. I thought the rest of it was quite good, especially the first half. They handled the concept of being an exile and a traitor on the run, with a handful of allies, desperately trying to gather more while no one believes you, very well.

The latter half's pacing was off, I thought, but I did like the

fights against the reanimated parents

and the "who's the traitor" subplot. Corrin gets a couple of awesome moments without being as overly-impossible-awesome as Robin, and the villain at the very least is above Grima and Garon by virtue of having a personality and a backstory. Dialogue is generally entertaining and well-written, and the cross-faction supports are almost all high in quality.

Revelation essentially being

the only unambiguously happy ending

may or may not sour your opinion on it. For me, it made me like it more, but

I'm a sucker for happy endings.

Honestly, if I were to pick a complaint, it's that Revelation could have used a few more chapters in the second half, to smooth out the pacing and give us a little more detail on some of the latter villains. And yes, I would have gotten rid of the plot device, but I'm not going to let my annoyance over it overshadow the things I do like about the route, which outnumber the things I don't.

Thanks this was really insightful! Helped get me a little more pumped for the game. I think my gripes with the first two paths as well were that they were so obviously left vague and unfinished so people would buy Revelation. I hate finishing a story that's incomplete.