Fire Emblem Fates Character Spotlight ~ Week 01: Kagero

HappyHawlucha

Ok then, some might remember that a while ago I started a series of threads in which we would discuss a certain character from Fire Emblem Fates, decided by a poll. That failed miserably, but now, it seems like the perfect time for it to make it's return, in Season 2! As a note, it's possible that characters who were previously covered may be coming back, for completion, as I hope that one day we might have a thread for each character in the games. This week, to kick it off, we have the female ninja, the retainer of the high prince of Hoshido, Ryoma, and the winner for the best bust in Hoshido, Kagero! As a note, this is the only week that I will choose a character, each week after this a poll will decide the next topic, and as it was before, each week will have a character of the opposite sex as the week before, eg. In the poll for Week 2, since Week 1 was Kagero, all options in the poll will be male, and then the week after that it will be back to a female. Anyway, let's look at Kagero's... well everything.

Class Sets:

----------------

Base Class Sets: Ninja, Diviner

Marriage Class Sets: *Male Avatar's Talent*(Corrin), Troubadour(Jakob), Samurai(Kaze, Saizo, Hinata, Ryoma), Sky Knight(Subaki), Cavalier(Silas), Shrine Maiden(Azama), *Nothing*(Hayato, Kaden), Archer(Takumi)

Buddy Class Sets: Oni Savage(Rinkah), *Nothing*(Orochi), Archer(Setsuna)

Personal Skill: Shuriken Mastery- When Kagero receives damage from a Dagger attack, the enemy receives half the same damage and the Daggers stat reduction effect

Base Growth Rates:

--------------

HP: 30%

Str: 65%

Mag: 0%

Skill: 20%

Speed: 50%

Luck: 30%

Def: 25%

Res: 40%

Max Cap Modifiers:

--------------

Str: +3

Mag: /

Skill: -1

Speed: -1

Luck: /

Def: -1

Res: 1

I like your idea, and what a great way to start this chain of threads. Kagero is definitely a great unit. She's not as good at dodging as the other ninja in my opinion, but she's way better and killing dudes in one fight, due to her high strength and tendency to double attack. She's also pretty good personality wise too. Granted her personality is nothing special, but it's certainly likable, or I wouldn't have married her. On that note, the animation that plays when you hit S-rank is also really sweet and captures the idea of marrying a loyal ninja girl well. It's just a shame most people are going to remember her for that chest, because that's not what's important. :(

I actually haven't gotten around to using Kagero. By the time I got her I had Kaze, Saizo, Asugi and Jakob (different class but still a dagger user). My party simply didn't have room. That said, she seems a likable enough character and i do intend to use her in a different playthrough. It's the most love-hate thing for me about FE. There are too many characters to use in one playthrough (I tend to try and set up a team when I play--not big on too much grinding) which leads to some getting left out. On one hand, it means cuts need to be made (to my team) but on the other it warrants multiple playthroughs.

I remember there was something similar to this back when Fates (back then as "if") was released in Japan. So, I'll just post a theory build here instead!

Note: These builds are meant for endgame at max stats, tuned for Classic mode. I'm sure with Casual or even Phoenix there can be more ridiculous builds, but I'll stay within the confines of Classic mode. If DLC is required, it will be noted within the build itself.

Kagero - Enemy Phase Master Ninja

[spoiler=Detailed Information]

Marriage Seal – Kaze, Siazo, Hinata, or Ryoma
Buddy Seal – Any
Class: Master Ninja
Main Weapon: Any Shuriken or Dagger
Stance: Guard Stance, Attacker
Skills:
*Shuriken Mastery*
- When user receives damage from a Dagger attack, the enemy receives half the same damage and the Dagger’s stat reduction effect
Lethality (Master Ninja - Kagero Base)
- Skill x 0.25% chance of instantly defeating the enemy when dealing 1 or more damage
Astra (Swordmaster - Marriage Seal)
- Skill x 0.5% chance of triggering 5 consecutive hits with half damage
Shurikenfaire (Master Ninja - Kagero Base)
- When user is equipped with a Dagger, damage +5 during battle
Vantage (Samurai - Marriage Seal)
- At the start of battle, when the user has under half HP, they attack first
Awakening (Great Lord Seal - Requires DLC)
- When HP is under half, Hit rate, Avoid, Critical rate and Critical Evade +30
Optional Skills:
Rend Heaven (Basara - Kagero Reclass)
- Skill x 1.5% chance of adding half the enemy’s Strength (if user has a physical weapon) or Magic (if user has a magical weapon) as damage
-- AN: While yet another proc, it can be used as a replacement for Awakening to help Kagero's chances of weakening or killing enemies during their phase.
Seal Strength (Master at Arms - Marriage Seal)
- After battle, enemy’s Strength -6
-- AN: While this may be redundant depending on what weapon is used, this skill allows for Kagero to debuff enemies that survive her retaliation attacks, making it safer for your other forces to clean up.
Life or Death (Master at Arms - Marriage Seal)
- During battles, damage +10, damage received +10
-- AN: This build revolves around Awakening and Vantage, but Life or Death can replace Awakening for that extra DPS instead. Alternatively, Life or Death can take over Shurikenfaire if you like, although the extra 5 damage does not warrant taking 10 extra in return, in my opinion.
Locktouch (Ninja - Kagero Base)
- User can open doors and chests without requiring keys
-- AN: Useful if you need someone to open up chests or doors at the cost of another skill.
Duelist’s Blow (Samurai - Marriage Seal)
- When user triggers the battle, Avoid +30
-- AN: While the point of this build is to be amazing during the Enemy Phase, if for some reason you want an offensive Kagero, you can use Duelist's Blow instead of Vantage and get insane avoid rates when attacking. Why go searching for enemies if they can just come to you instead, but I digress...
Reasoning
This build started off as an idea for an avatar character, but it turned out that Kagero can learn all the skills, and has a better personal skill suited for the job, so I ended up using her instead. I wanted a unit that can essentially be thrown into enemy forces and either slay them all or debuff them all so your other units can clean up. Master Ninjas are excellent for this due to their 1-2 range and their weapon's signature ability to lower enemy stats.
Needless to say, the major component of the build is Awakening + Vantage. This combo seems so ridiculous that I want to try it out at almost every opportunity to see how broken it is. Of course, if one doesn't have DLC or doesn't want to use Awakening, there are other skills available to use.
I throw in Lethality for that chance at an instant kill (and cool factor) as well as Astra to increase DPS (and cool factor). Procing skills is more difficult in Fates than Awakening due to lower numbers all round, but they are still satisfying when they do function. Besides, Master Ninjas has the highest skill cap of player characters, 35, the other two classes being Hero and Lodestar.
Shurikenfaire is a safe skill that increases damage as Kagero will mainly be using Shurikens or Daggers. The ability to attack at 1-2 range is important for a character meant to charge right in the middle of hostiles, being able to handle both melee and ranged attackers alife.
Kagero's personal skill is useful in the event she gets hit from a Dagger attack, better than an Avatar's personal skill when attempting this build at any rate. She is also put into Guard Stance to help with her survivability as she is meant to be the vanguard of your forces, weakening or killing off the opposition before your main army arrives. However, while this build sounds nice on paper, I have yet to actually try it out to see if it is viable gameplay-wise. Dodge tanking is risky due to reliance on RNG, but I think with all the crazy procs (and criticals) that can occur with this build, I feel like it might be worth a try.

I remember there was something similar to this back when Fates (back then as "if") was released in Japan. So, I'll just post a theory build here instead!

Note: These builds are meant for endgame at max stats, tuned for Classic mode. I'm sure with Casual or even Phoenix there can be more ridiculous builds, but I'll stay within the confines of Classic mode. If DLC is required, it will be noted within the build itself.

Kagero - Enemy Phase Master Ninja

[spoiler=Detailed Information]

Marriage Seal – Kaze, Siazo, Hinata, or Ryoma
Buddy Seal – Any
Class: Master Ninja
Main Weapon: Any Shuriken or Dagger
Stance: Guard Stance, Attacker
Skills:
*Shuriken Mastery*
- When user receives damage from a Dagger attack, the enemy receives half the same damage and the Dagger’s stat reduction effect
Lethality (Master Ninja - Kagero Base)
- Skill x 0.25% chance of instantly defeating the enemy when dealing 1 or more damage
Astra (Swordmaster - Marriage Seal)
- Skill x 0.5% chance of triggering 5 consecutive hits with half damage
Shurikenfaire (Master Ninja - Kagero Base)
- When user is equipped with a Dagger, damage +5 during battle
Vantage (Samurai - Marriage Seal)
- At the start of battle, when the user has under half HP, they attack first
Awakening (Great Lord Seal - Requires DLC)
- When HP is under half, Hit rate, Avoid, Critical rate and Critical Evade +30
Optional Skills:
Rend Heaven (Basara - Kagero Reclass)
- Skill x 1.5% chance of adding half the enemy’s Strength (if user has a physical weapon) or Magic (if user has a magical weapon) as damage
-- AN: While yet another proc, it can be used as a replacement for Awakening to help Kagero's chances of weakening or killing enemies during their phase.
Seal Strength (Master at Arms - Marriage Seal)
- After battle, enemy’s Strength -6
-- AN: While this may be redundant depending on what weapon is used, this skill allows for Kagero to debuff enemies that survive her retaliation attacks, making it safer for your other forces to clean up.
Life or Death (Master at Arms - Marriage Seal)
- During battles, damage +10, damage received +10
-- AN: This build revolves around Awakening and Vantage, but Life or Death can replace Awakening for that extra DPS instead. Alternatively, Life or Death can take over Shurikenfaire if you like, although the extra 5 damage does not warrant taking 10 extra in return, in my opinion.
Locktouch (Ninja - Kagero Base)
- User can open doors and chests without requiring keys
-- AN: Useful if you need someone to open up chests or doors at the cost of another skill.
Duelist’s Blow (Samurai - Marriage Seal)
- When user triggers the battle, Avoid +30
-- AN: While the point of this build is to be amazing during the Enemy Phase, if for some reason you want an offensive Kagero, you can use Duelist's Blow instead of Vantage and get insane avoid rates when attacking. Why go searching for enemies if they can just come to you instead, but I digress...
Reasoning
This build started off as an idea for an avatar character, but it turned out that Kagero can learn all the skills, and has a better personal skill suited for the job, so I ended up using her instead. I wanted a unit that can essentially be thrown into enemy forces and either slay them all or debuff them all so your other units can clean up. Master Ninjas are excellent for this due to their 1-2 range and their weapon's signature ability to lower enemy stats.
Needless to say, the major component of the build is Awakening + Vantage. This combo seems so ridiculous that I want to try it out at almost every opportunity to see how broken it is. Of course, if one doesn't have DLC or doesn't want to use Awakening, there are other skills available to use.
I throw in Lethality for that chance at an instant kill (and cool factor) as well as Astra to increase DPS (and cool factor). Procing skills is more difficult in Fates than Awakening due to lower numbers all round, but they are still satisfying when they do function. Besides, Master Ninjas has the highest skill cap of player characters, 35, the other two classes being Hero and Lodestar.
Shurikenfaire is a safe skill that increases damage as Kagero will mainly be using Shurikens or Daggers. The ability to attack at 1-2 range is important for a character meant to charge right in the middle of hostiles, being able to handle both melee and ranged attackers alife.
Kagero's personal skill is useful in the event she gets hit from a Dagger attack, better than an Avatar's personal skill when attempting this build at any rate. She is also put into Guard Stance to help with her survivability as she is meant to be the vanguard of your forces, weakening or killing off the opposition before your main army arrives. However, while this build sounds nice on paper, I have yet to actually try it out to see if it is viable gameplay-wise. Dodge tanking is risky due to reliance on RNG, but I think with all the crazy procs (and criticals) that can occur with this build, I feel like it might be worth a try.

1. I think that the one that you saw when it was released in Japan might have been mine. I just decided to bring it back now

2. I really like your idea for the skill set, Awakening is a very good skill, especially when combined with Vantage. The idea that Kagero could be a kind of Line-breaker, who would set foes up to be to killed is an awesome strategy, almost as if the developers made Kagero's class sets in a particular way in order to make that kind of build.

3. I heard that Kagero can turn out a lot stronger than Saizo, Kaze or even Asugi, is this true? Please use full sentences to explain your answer

Edited by HappyHawlucha

• 7 months later...

Kagero is great, probably my favorite of the three gen1 ninjas. She's got the Strength to make up for low base power of knives, and the speed to do some damage with them. What's not to love? ...Actually, now that I mention it... Her natural class sets and befriending sets aren't that great, actually. Oni and Archer are all right, but she doesn't get a ton of variety haha... But, it's not terrible or anything.

And.... yeah...

She has the strength proportional to her bust size.

It DOES seem like bust size is directly proportional to attack strength for women in this game, haha... (Camilla, Charlotte, Kagero ofc... Effie seems to be the only one that this doesn't apply to)