Best classes for +Magic, -Def Male Corrin and Kana

Corrin is +Magic, -Defense and Kana's mom is Caeldori who in turn was mothered by Sakura.

Mods are +6 or 7 for Magic and +3 for speed I think. What's a good class for her? Was thinking Hoshino Royal with Dragonstone+ or a Sorcerer. Planning on marrying her to a Falcon Knight Shigure to pump up her speed. Best spouse and classes?

Corrin = Nohr Noble or Onmyoji

Kana = Nohr Noble, Onmyoji, or Witch (DLC)

Sorcerer's really aren't to great and you are better off going Onmyoji (Sage)

I wouldn't say Onmyoji are objectively better than Sorcerers. They have comparable growths and bases, and by losing staff access, Sorcerers get Nosferatu (not sure if available in birthright) and +5 Hit, +5 CEv and +10 crit. The skills are mixed as well. For the Dark Mage tree you get Heartseeker, Maelific Aura (better version of Magic +2) Bow Breaker, Seal Magic and Lifetaker (Vengeance is pretty meh). Diviner tree gets you Magic +2, Rend Heaven, Quixotic and Tomefaire (Future Sight and Rally Magic aren't that great imo).

Edited by NekoKnight

I wouldn't say Onmyoji are objectively better than Sorcerers. They have comparable growths and bases, and by losing staff access, Sorcerers get Nosferatu (not sure if available in birthright) and +5 Hit, +5 CEv and +10 crit. The skills are mixed as well. For the Dark Mage tree you get Heartseeker, Maelific Aura (better version of Magic +2) Bow Breaker, Seal Magic and Lifetaker (Vengeance is pretty meh). Diviner tree gets you Magic +2, Rend Heaven, Quixotic and Tomefaire (Future Sight and Rally Magic aren't that great imo).

dont forget that tasty crit bonus since S-Rank Tomes.

Would his speed on pair up or attack stance with a brave Lance help Kana out? Could he get Hoshino Noble from Marriage Seal and support with that class?

They aren't exactly the best for Pair-Up due to Shigure's bad Magic Mods. However, Shigure inherits pretty good Strength. You could look into the Pair-Up Bonuses on the Wiki and decide then.

I disagree, in large part because I don't put much, if any, stock in the Dark Mage class tree's skills (Heartseeker doesn't sound all that great, Malefic Aura is pretty meh imo, lolvengeance, and Lifetaker doesn't sound like its all that good a use of a skill slot either - that just leaves Seal Magic and Bowbreaker as being anywhere near worthwhile).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I disagree, in large part because I don't put much, if any, stock in the Dark Mage class tree's skills (Heartseeker doesn't sound all that great, Malefic Aura is pretty meh imo, lolvengeance, and Lifetaker doesn't sound like its all that good a use of a skill slot either - that just leaves Seal Magic and Bowbreaker as being anywhere near worthwhile).

Are you actually drunk?

Heartseeker is one of the best skills in the entire game, on any class, and stacks with sorc hiddens for reliable hitrate on breaker enemies despite mono weapon lock.

Regardless Sorc vs Sage, Ingame sorc is the better combat unit those hiddens/S boosts are way too good, sage is better at...rallying magic for sorc's...and using E rank staves. Postgame... Sorc is still by far the better combat unit but staff rank grinding lets sages have pretty mad utility.

Edited by joshcja

I disagree, in large part because I don't put much, if any, stock in the Dark Mage class tree's skills (Heartseeker doesn't sound all that great, Malefic Aura is pretty meh imo, lolvengeance, and Lifetaker comes late - that just leaves Seal Magic and Bowbreaker as being anywhere near worthwhile).

Lets look at the abilities side by side.

Heartseeker > Future Sight

Future Sight is useless and Heartseeker has situational uses for hitting high avoid enemies.

Maelific Aura > Magic +2

Maelific Aura will be at least as good as Magic +2 if not better because it's an aura.

Vengeance = Rally Magic

They are both pretty meh. Vengeance isn't reliable and Rally Magic is eh...I guess it depends on if you use a lot of magic units.

Bowbreaker < Tomefaire

Both skills are good but I'll give the award to Tomefaire for pure damage output.

Seal Magic = Rend Heaven

On a physical class, I'd say Rend Heaven is better but on a pure magic class, it's only going to help much against mages.

Lifetaker < Quixotic

Quixotic is better for skill procs but Lifetaker is pretty cool.

So they come out about even but you won't have the level 15 skills until late in the game so I'm leaning more towards Dark Mage skills.

Edited by NekoKnight

Are you actually drunk?

Heartseeker is one of the best skills in the entire game, on any class, and stacks with sorc hiddens for reliable hitrate on breaker enemies despite mono weapon lock.

Regardless Sorc vs Sage, Ingame sorc is the better combat unit those hiddens/S boosts are way too good, sage is better at...rallying magic for sorc's...and using E rank staves. Postgame... Sorc is still by far the better combat unit but staff rank grinding lets sages have pretty mad utility.

Considering that it's on a mage type class... I'd have to reclass out to get any real mileage out of it (else, it's only really helping against archers and spear/tomahawk/wakizashi/battering club users). That's an inconvenience, particularly early on.

Bold: I've seen people hype this since before the game came out, and - surprise surprise - I generally was skeptical, so it's no surprise I'm not buying this hook, line and sinker - I just don't see them as a game-changer.

Lets look at the abilities side by side.

Heartseeker > Future Sight

Future Sight is useless and Heartseeker has situational uses for hitting high avoid enemies.

Maelific Aura > Magic +2

Maelific Aura will be at least as good as Magic +2 if not better because it's an aura.

Vengeance = Rally Magic

They are both pretty meh. Vengeance isn't reliable and Rally Magic is eh...I guess it depends on if you use a lot of magic units.

Bowbreaker < Tomefaire

Both skills are good but I'll give the award to Tomefaire for pure damage output.

Seal Magic = Rend Heaven

On a physical class, I'd say Rend Heaven is better but on a pure magic class, it's only going to help much against mages.

Lifetaker < Quixotic

Quixotic is better for skill procs but Lifetaker is pretty cool.

So they come out about even but you won't have the level 15 skills until late in the game so I'm leaning more towards Dark Mage skills.

The big thing about Malefic Aura that makes it meh to me is that if you're not using a lot of magic units or aren't a heavy user of magic weapons, it's not really benefiting much of anyone other than whoever has it, thus Magic +2 might as well be equivalent with it...

I mean Heartseeker is pretty great, this isn't Awakening so hit rate actually is a thing. putting Odin near an enemy for example was actually one of my crucial ways of feeding Exp to my Charlotte, Benny, etc.

Im not sure if -20 Avoid is enough to "nullify" Tomebreaker, but Ive personally found great use out of this skill.

Malefic Aura isnt meh either, granted most units are physical in this game, that's still a usable Mag+2 for that unit and close partners. Though in the case of Nohriin and Kana I use Tomes a lot so Ive found a lot of use out of this. Of course, your milage may vary.

Also S Boosts are good. There's kinda a reason everyone keeps asking for Deathblow on the skill threads.

Considering that it's on a mage type class... I'd have to reclass out to get any real mileage out of it (else, it's only really helping against archers and spear/tomahawk/wakizashi/battering club users). That's an inconvenience, particularly early on.

Bold: I've seen people hype this since before the game came out, and - surprise surprise - I generally was skeptical, so it's no surprise I'm not buying this hook, line and sinker - I just don't see them as a game-changer.

The big thing about Malefic Aura that makes it meh to me is that if you're not using a lot of magic units or aren't a heavy user of magic weapons, it's not really benefiting much of anyone other than whoever has it, thus Magic +2 might as well be equivalent with it...

You do realize heartseeker/Mal are debuffs that work for your whole squad right...and that sorcerers are frontline MCU's? I will use small words.

They fight...Up front... As a Main combat Unit.... Like a.... Crit/Def stacked zerker....Point blank sniper...Ryoma...Thwomp.

S ranks suck why would I ever use a mage class with inherent deathblow that works all the time (and a million other useful adds)

The OP is going to have at least 4 magic users + a rally magic sage. I think mal aura will put in work, JS.

Edited by joshcja

I mean Heartseeker is pretty great, this isn't Awakening so hit rate actually is a thing. putting Odin near an enemy for example was actually one of my crucial ways of feeding Exp to my Charlotte, Benny, etc.

Im not sure if -20 Avoid is enough to "nullify" Tomebreaker, but Ive personally found great use out of this skill.

Malefic Aura isnt meh either, granted most units are physical in this game, that's still a usable Mag+2 for that unit and close partners. Though in the case of Nohriin and Kana I use Tomes a lot so Ive found a lot of use out of this. Of course, your milage may vary.

Also S Boosts are good. There's kinda a reason everyone keeps asking for Deathblow on the skill threads.

Maybe I've been spoiled by earlier games, but..... ehhh.

WRT Death Blow, I always assumed part of that would be because the class tree that gets it is probably the least distributed in the game (only 6 characters get it, and one of THOSE is only playable on Revelations).

You do realize heartseeker/Mal are debuffs that work for your whole squad right...and that sorcerers are frontline MCU's? I will use small words.

They fight...Up front... As a Main combat Unit.... Like a.... Crit/Def stacked zerker....Point blank sniper...Ryoma...Thwomp.

S ranks suck why would I ever use a mage class with inherent deathblow that works all the time (and a million other useful adds)

The OP is going to have at least 4 magic users + a rally magic sage. I think mal aura will put in work, JS.

You. Are Not. Doing a Good Job. Of Convincing Me. (Seriously, Heartseeker might benefit the whole army, but Malefic Aura's no Anathema) And it's not like Sorcerers are anywhere near their glory days in Awakening...

Bold: Don't put words in my mouth.

Just because Sorcerers aren't broken in half this time around doesn't mean they're bad, Levant. There are plenty of reasons why you would want to put a Sorcerer in melee range of a unit, whether it's making a ~80% OHKO attack guaranteed to hit, positioning set up for Dual Attacks, or attacking another nearby enemy so your other units can then take advantage of the extra accuracy on the adjacent enemy.

Stop assuming things in Fates work the same as they have in past games because the environment is quite different than it was in Awakening, for example. Actually play the game before continuing to try to give people advice.

Edited by Radiant Dragon

Just because Sorcerers aren't broken in half this time around doesn't mean they're bad, Levant. There are plenty of reasons why you would want to put a Sorcerer in melee range of a unit, whether it's making a ~80% OHKO attack guaranteed to hit, positioning set up for Dual Attacks, or attacking another nearby enemy so your other units can then take advantage of the extra accuracy on the adjacent enemy.

Stop assuming things in Fates work the same as they have in past games because the environment is quite different than it was in Awakening, for example. Actually play the game before continuing to try to give people advice.

I have been playing the game. And I'm not trying to imply they're bad - just that they've seen better days. Anyways, I'm just extremely skeptical - I've seen it happen before that others try to hype up a certain class as being good, only for said hyped class to under-deliver when I actually play the game.

while im not a fan of magic, I still think Dark mages are better, sure the Hoshidan one might get some extras but, the skills and power that Sorcerer and Dark knight get are much more appealing.... besides Nosferatu can make them abit more tanky when needed, I mean sure you wont use a freaking mage to tank but its good to survive getting hit out of nowhere

while im not a fan of magic, I still think Dark mages are better, sure the Hoshidan one might get some extras but, the skills and power that Sorcerer and Dark knight get are much more appealing.... besides Nosferatu can make them abit more tanky when needed, I mean sure you wont use a freaking mage to tank but its good to survive getting hit out of nowhere

Well, Dark Mage is my subclass for Hoshido, so I have that or Strategist going for me.

That is something I usually do in my Conquest/Birthright runs, I choose a class from the oposite faction... like my second Conquest run I went for Oni Savage because of more crits, free weapons and being able to use Brave Axes and my Yato

My Sorc Leo's been putting in good work with just Nosferatu and Bryn. Then again Leo's tankier than most mages so I suppose that isn't saying much.

@Levant: well poor distribution is one of the main reasons yes, but crits are actually more usable/viable in this game than Brave Weapons (since Killer Weapons don't have any drawbacks...while making the Crit modifier x4 as opposed to x3, while Braves weaken your defense). That said, simply having an S Rank weapon, Deathblow, Gamble (and possibly Awakening if you're a female) is what a lot of players are going for, just to ensure OHKOs on most things.

If we're being honest, Im not a fan of the "Blow" skills, but I do try to get Deathblow on as many S-Rank units as I can. That said I only really have it on Charlotte and Leo (and the latter doesnt really need it when he's mostly just Nostanking).

Fun fact: I beat Conquest Chapter 23 by ORKOing Ryouma with a +1 Mjolnir hitting Critical Dragon Fang twice; I didn't have Deathblow because I run a Nohrian Trust build, but that was probably my favourite moment of my Conquest run.

Unrelated but Hearseeker is really good on Benny if anyone uses him, since his Personal is half of a Heartseeker already.

Edited by Jakkun

@Levant: well poor distribution is one of the main reasons yes, but crits are actually more usable/viable in this game than Brave Weapons (since Killer Weapons don't have any drawbacks...while making the Crit modifier x4 as opposed to x3, while Braves weaken your defense). That said, simply having an S Rank weapon, Deathblow, Gamble (and possibly Awakening if you're a female) is what a lot of players are going for, just to ensure OHKOs on most things.

If we're being honest, Im not a fan of the "Blow" skills, but I do try to get Deathblow on as many S-Rank units as I can. That said I only really have it on Charlotte and Leo (and the latter doesnt really need it when he's mostly just Nostanking).

Well, the poor distribution thing was what I could think of off the top of my head. I agree with everything else, too, though I'd consider the caveat that killer weapons are only as strong as iron in this game. That being said, I'm not a fan of the S rank weapons in this game, especially the melee S ranks.