dark souls 3 hype

Tryhard

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's pretty bad, but if they go back to the dark souls 1 poise system that would be terrible too

All they have to do is make backstabbing BB-style. Hyper armor already shits on small weapons. Making heavy armor actually have a noticeable effect on one's defenses/damage absorption would be nice, too.

Edited by Esme

• 2 weeks later...

at least the mlgs is usable now, for the health of its legacy

by the way, for anyone interested, salt and sanctuary just got ported for steam not too long ago and it's great and similar to a combination of a dark souls and metroidvania game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/283640/

i've been playing it in between ds3 and i wholeheartedly recommend it

strength weapons are also easy mode in it

Edited by Tryhard

Fair enough. I think the way stamina regen and rolling got changed made Pyromancy and offensive Miracles (and Sorcery to some degree) useless in PvP. The way Poise is working (well, or not) is disappointing, weapon buffs seem even stronger than before (might be wrong on that one) and everyone is rolling around like Sonic (I also hate having to go for 60 Faith/Int to do damage with spells, having no use for them in PvP (besides the buff), 4 of 5 boss weapons being useless (as they can't be buffed), even more weird hidden mechanics than the previous game (like the different scaling of Rings in PvP), hyperarmor, the parry spam (dead angles are a thing, but with daggers? ~.~) and so on).

DkS II had oneshots from hexes, but besides that it wasn't too bad. Obviously just my opinion, I don't mind you enjoying DkS III PvP.

You have to remember that DaSII got a TON of patches, three DLCs, and a re-release, so there were many opportunities for FROM to change things. DaSIII has barely been out for two months. (And even then, DaSII still wasn't perfect as far as PvP is concerned.)

I'm certain that things will be way more balanced as time goes on, especially once the DLCs come out.

Edited by Esme

You have to remember that DaSII got a TON of patches, three DLCs, and a re-release, so there were many opportunities for FROM to change things. DaSIII has barely been out for two months. (And even then, DaSII still wasn't perfect as far as PvP is concerned.)

I'm certain that things will be way more balanced as time goes on, especially once the DLCs come out.

I hope so, I just can't think of way how the new rolling and magic fit (unless they reduce the cast times a lot, which probably leaves a mess ~~).

even after patches souls pvp is always very flawed and not worth taking seriously, but the monastery scimitar parrying was way worse

going back to ds1 and still get fished and lagstabbed and generally pvp bs is still prevalent to this day

fun, but it's not good

they should do something with poise though

What is Dark Souls, why is everyone playing it, why should I praise the sun, help.

because it's fun, genuinely rewarding and challenging provided you aren't the type to get frustrated - even then, its difficulty has been widely overstated. it does have a learning curve. tight combat (and the combat is very good) and complexity in areas, statistical builds, and weapons make it very varied. it has a bleak atmosphere setting that not many games do and the story is very minimalist, leading to many speculations about the lore.

and you should praise the sun because it's a meme

Edited by Tryhard

A lot of people are playing dark souls, yeah

It was interesting to see a game go from being niche to mainstream.

Especially in a market where a large amount of developers thought gamers wanted easy, vapid games.

dark souls was never really niche

edit: demon's souls probably kinda was though

Edited by fuccboi

demon's souls is just a weird and budget game and most critics at the time dismissed it as "hard game 4/10" despite it being the shortest souls game so the premise was entirely known for its spiritual successor for those who actually knew about it

i didn't even know about it till a year after I was playing dark souls 1

Edited by Tryhard

demon's is a great game and should have got more acclaim (and backing from Sony initially, but apparently the alpha From submitted was terrible)

they do different things well - dark souls 1 is still the only game in the series that can claim that is interconnected without the use of warping, even though that effectively stops after Sen's Fortress anyway.

the bosses in demon's are just generally not very interesting or difficult and have aged poorly, but i honestly prefer the atmosphere and world building in demon's. but it was still a great rather floaty budget game for 2009

dark souls 1 is more polished and that's saying something considering it still has problems. considering dark souls 1 eventually went onto to become multiplat including PC and mentioned by people excessively probably lead to its success. people even stated in their reviews of demon's (or non-reviews because they couldn't finish it) that they weren't used to this type of game.

Edited by Tryhard

I feel as though Dark Souls 1 did a lot of the ideas from Demon's Souls and executed them better with more variety. Despite that, I would still rank Demon's almost on par with DS1, because it is more consistent than DS1.

A lot of the systems were rather obtuse, especially character/world tendency and carry weight burden, and while the first is pretty unique they both are just rather annoying when you're playing. Not to mention the need to grind for materials for upgrades far more than the other games. And the "Soul" form directly taking 50% of your HP on death.

It also was probably marketing - demon's souls got almost none because it wasn't expected to do well. DS1 was rushed, but it at least had a decent amount of financial backing behind it compared to Demon's.

have you played demon's souls? I never really saw if you were saying you did or you didn't

Edited by Tryhard

also unrelated but I found some really cool ds3 wallpapers here, in case anyone is interested.

One example being my theme.

I went and got this really good fanart of Sirris and made it my wallpaper.

https://cdn3.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/002/664/019/large/zezhou-chen-wp720-2.jpg?1464492108

Ahh...I can see how that losing hp mechanic would turn reviewers off from the game. Or at least think it was hard just for the sake of punishing the player.

Because they all seemed to look at player death pretty positively in the ds1 reviews.

There was also a spear you could get from the soul of the first boss in World 1 (Boletarian Palace) that reduced weapon and armor durability on each hit, effectively allowing you to completely break everything that your opponent had if they didn't just jump off a cliff or something. It was hilarious to use, but I can imagine being on the receiving end of the spear would be very frustrating.

Real question is how long do we have to deal with the Bestoc Master Race and its bullshit 80% shield piercing that the fucking shotel type weapons can only dream of doing can barely scrape shielded enemies on top of having better range and attack speed.

Also hit boxes on weapons being accurate.

even after patches souls pvp is always very flawed and not worth taking seriously, but the monastery scimitar parrying was way worse

going back to ds1 and still get fished and lagstabbed and generally pvp bs is still prevalent to this day

Heh, I might have been part of the problem as I used Silver Knight Spear/DSS and Wraith of God, lagstabbing rarely was a problem for me in dks1. I don't know why MonScim never bothered me - I played DkS2 when it was around after all.

WotG spam was also annoying considering I used a Large Club most of the time.

I'm just saying that the PvP has never had any pretenses of being balanced, so I'm not sure why everyone complains about a new cheap tactic when a new Souls game comes out - it's always been like that. The Estoc in particular has always been a top-tier weapon.

Sometimes it just seems like people conveniently forget all the pvp bs that has existed before... like cheese buffed dex builds

By the way Demon's Souls pvp is the worst, just terrible

Edited by Tryhard

I can understand that complaint, it was more like "this games pvp was so much better." It really wasn't. You may prefer it, but From has always had the balancing skills on par with gravity.