FE III & V Questions

IkeBoyDude

hay, everyone,

i have some questions regarding the SNES games of FE III and V.

For FE III:

i have patched the game (both v1.0 / v1.1) in english patch which as stated by romhacking net site is complete:

Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo (last updated)

my question here is, why when i try and play this game on my psp via Snes emu, during the battle sciences the text glitches and shows weird junk instead of text?

any fix for this? i have two snes emus on my psp,

one is SNES9x TYL mecum

the other is SNES9X EUPHORIA

other than the battle text glitch the game is fully playable in english :)

For FE V:

I'm using the latest (last update for english Tharcia 776 patch:

Fire Emblem: Thracia 776

also, has there been since this last patch any new progress on the english translation of thracia 776?

and does the patch above only go up to ch 5 in english?

the game is playable somewhat with patch 00.06, through somethings like menus isn't translated and such, but is okayish.

thanx

Edited by IkeBoyDude

Did you apply both patches at once? That would likely cause garble. Apply 1.0, then test. If it crashes/garbles, try 1.1. If that crashes too, then your ROM is unheadered. If you have PC access, use SNESTool and DOSBox to add a header. (SNESTool won't run without it unless your computer is really old.)

The Thracia patch is bad. Yeah, the dialogue is translated right through, but very few of the menus are. (Only ones that are translated off hand are the unit-move and system menus.) Not to mention inconsistencies in naming and mistranslations exist. Still, it does its job, if you can remember the advanced GBA battle screen.

Mind posting some screenshots?

Did you apply both patches at once? That would likely cause garble. Apply 1.0, then test. If it crashes/garbles, try 1.1. If that crashes too, then your ROM is unheadered. If you have PC access, use SNESTool and DOSBox to add a header. (SNESTool won't run without it unless your computer is really old.)

The Thracia patch is bad. Yeah, the dialogue is translated right through, but very few of the menus are. (Only ones that are translated off hand are the unit-move and system menus.) Not to mention inconsistencies in naming and mistranslations exist. Still, it does its job, if you can remember the advanced GBA battle screen.

hmm, for the Fire emblem III, i patched both v1.0 and v1.1 to the v1.0 and v1.1 versions of FE III,

yeah the header thing is an issue here, i tired to add a header to the fe III using sues tool like you said (I'm on windows 7 so it works fine by just double clicking it/ opening it through CMD works fine no need for DOS Box).

then i tested it out on my psp sues emu, but when the battle triggers, screen glitches out again :( .

maybe i forgot to use the Hotkey (A) for adding a header in snes tool.

hmm, for the Fire emblem III, i patched both v1.0 and v1.1 to the v1.0 and v1.1 versions of FE III,

yeah the header thing is an issue here, i tired to add a header to the fe III using sues tool like you said (I'm on windows 7 so it works fine by just double clicking it/ opening it through CMD works fine no need for DOS Box).

then i tested it out on my psp sues emu, but when the battle triggers, screen glitches out again :( .

maybe i forgot to use the Hotkey (A) for adding a header in snes tool.

That may be an issue with that particular SNES emulator rather than with the patch. I recall having many issues running the SNES Fire Emblem games on PSP emulators.

Can you try running it with an emulator on your PC to see what happens?

That may be an issue with that particular SNES emulator rather than with the patch. I recall having many issues running the SNES Fire Emblem games on PSP emulators.

Can you try running it with an emulator on your PC to see what happens?

yea, for FE III, the snes emu mod is particularly picky on that issue.

for FE IV / V it runs them fine no glitches or such.

on pc in znes the FE III game runs fine no glitches (except for the status bar flickering ) other than that on pc it runs fine, the psp snes emu is the issue :P

Adding to this, the battle preview is also slightly more intuitive, it's easier to remember swap = Atk, ena = Crt, p Ar = Hit etc. than the kanji versions unless you can read the latter. Weapon names are a thing too, and being able to see the difference between wait and staff/attack/item/capture is a saving grace.

Edited by Gradivus.

• 2 weeks later...

hay guys, thanx for the helpful input, i managed to get Fire emblem III (mystery of the emblem) to run fine with no battle glitches etc on my 2DS using GW FW emunanad and using BlargSNES emu on it :)

so, the psp snes emus take a back seat and suck it hard from the Blargsnes emu on 2DS! ahahhahaha.

for fe III that is, fe iv and v run fine on psp sues emus, but i'm sure for blargsnes also.

question solved!