Good/bad characters for Revelations?

Ozarhok

I'm trying to play through Revelations with characters I haven't used in the other games, but I don't want to waste time using underperforming characters, and I don't really want to use a party of just royals. I'm on chapter 11 and so far I'm using Kaze, Great Lord Mozu, and planning on using Hayato.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Niles, Odin, Peri, and Laslow join at too low a level to be immediately useful unless you're willing to grind them a bit. Beruka and Selena are great as always, though, and join pretty early.

Gunter is a straight Jeigan so you should drop him as soon as you feel you don't need him anymore, sadly.

If you want to use Hayato that's your call, but I find he underperforms. Even if she's frail as a wet tissue, Orochi's a better Diviner and has Capture to boot once you start doing the child paralogues with all their weird bosses. If you do use Hayato, I recommend promoting to Basara over Onmyoji. It makes him reasonably sturdy.

I'd invest in either Effie or Benny. I used Benny in Revelations and by the endgame he was still taking 0 damage from most enemies, and even mages could barely dent him. He's great for luring in enemies close and weakening them for your more fragile units to then take out.

And yeah, don't bother with Scarlet.

She's only with your team for two chapters. If you want you can have her fight a ton of random encounters to get a gold statue of her before she leaves, but don't bother investing too much in her or supporting her.

Edited by Anomalocaris

You should definitely use-Royal siblings, Azura, potentially whatever servant you got first

Good to use-Hayato (Though you may get a bit screwed. It can go one way or the other. Just know, he is better in Rev then Birthright), Mozu (If you put the work in), Oboro, Kaze, Kaden/Keaton (Amazing units. Pick which one you prefer or use both), Silas

Oaky, but not recommended-Rinkah (She's not that bad but not recommended), Orochi/Niles (They are mainly here since they can capture, but Orochi is very meh here and you have Hayato and Nles comes way to late at way to low a level and is hard to use unless you grind him), Laslow (His PS is only what got him here. He makes the best rally bot but see Niles), Effie/Benny (Can be good tanks, and they come in the same chapter, so you can easily choose. But by this point, you don't need the hassle of training knights now), Nyx (If you want a magic user other then Leo and maybe Hayato, Nyx is good. But she is too much of a glass canon that she may fuck you over), Charlotte (Can be usable but is hard to train and also, hard to recruit IMO)

Avoid like the plague-Odin (Absolutely useless unless you grind him. He dies to one hit from a Paladin in his join chapter. Yeah...), Peri (Is not the best unit when she joins in Conquest, worse here. It's even worse that she joins the same chapter Xander does. Just use Xander or Silas), Scarlet (You'll see)

Everyone not listed is okay, they will just need serious training. Also, note if you are to drop a royal sib, Hinoka or Elise are the best options, since they will be the hardest to use IMO.

Also note, I listed the best users of the S rank weapons IMO being Ryoma-Sword, Oboro-Lance, Charlotte-Axe, Kaze-Shuriken, Takumi-Bow, Nyx-Tome, but it is really up to you. These are mainly here since you don't need to reclass.

Good: Chainsaw Yato

Ok: Jakob, Corrin, and early royals

Bad: The other early joins

Disgusting IS failure: Every other member of the cast.

If you don't want to low man the entire game (you can easily) just accept that rev is a terrible game and grind your waifu's/husbando's.

Edited by joshcja

Revelations is easy enough that you can really just grind whoever you like and force it to work, but that aside,

Ultimately, yeah, royal children are the best (except for Sakura) but you're going to be slogging through a lot of chapters before you really start collecting them, I mean, you can get a general idea from most of the lists written up, and end-game and pvp units are going to be completely different, but if you're just casually jumping into revelations, some of the earlier units, just according to my personal feelings about them, may not be 100% factual:

Good:

Corrin

Azura

Any of the royal children except Sakura are good (Takumi, Camilla, Elise, etc)

Jakob (Gentilhomme is pretty nice in particular)

Subaki gets pretty nice growths but I think his classes are kind of lame.

Keaton and Oboro are both pretty good retaliate killers, Keaton is locked at 1 range which sucks, but is also powerful enough that it's easily worked around.

Saizo/Kaze, I think Saizo is slightly better but it doesn't really matter, just use whatever one you like better or is getting better growths, both work.

Okay:

Hana is full Str/Spd/Skl growth and pretty much nothing else. She dies in one hit to everything but she will put out

Kagero is actually a really great ninja with huge strength growths, unfortunately you've probably already been using Saizo (or Kaze) by the time you get her.

Reina is useful for some things (like cheesing the ice boat level) and is a pretty good unit, but she'll be benched for a while because pre-promote.

Felicia is alright, but is pretty much just a staffbot, Demoiselle isn't quite as good as Gentilhomme, especially with the number of early female frontliners.

Sakura is an early staff user, again, not horrible, but not really going to be doing much else.

Hayato is fairly balanced for an early mage, you could totally skip using him and not even notice, but he's pretty average across the board with no huge weaknesses.

Benny is a knight, he joins about on-par with your other units, so if you want a knight I would use him, but he's still just a knight.

Selena, everyone always says how great she is, but I've always found her to never have the right mix of power/bulk/speed, she's always missing one of the three on my playthroughs.

Mozu, requires an investment, Takumi joins early and is easily just as good if not better, but she'll be good if you do use her.

Bad:

Rinkah gives nice pair up bonuses, but even with big investments she's still pretty lackluster.

Orochi and Hinata are too slow, both join at awkward times and have pretty sluggish growths. Hinata can develop to be good, but again, you have a lot of units to pick from so why bother.

Arthur is good for pair-ups and making babies but is too luk-gimped to really use without investment.

Effie joins underleveled in the same chapter as Benny, she's pretty good unit but you're going to have to grind her if you want to use her. Not much use for generals here anyway.

Beruka, her growths are technically okay, but you've already got Camilla and Reina and Subaki, if you want a fourth flyer, then by all means, but will probably just be redundant for most people.

Laslow, you've already got like 4 or 5 sword users or easily reclassed sword users at this point, Laslow is just too average to bother with.

Peri dies too much.

Scarlet, just don't use her because plot (though you may want to grind her statues)

Kaden is a crappier version of Keaton and is largely redundant in a balanced party imo.

As a note to all this, Corrin/Servant, Keaton/Hana, and Oboro/Subaki all give servicable children and you will have them all around the same time to build up their affections.

And though it ultimately doesn't matter, I think for revelations, Fighter/Oni Savage/Lancer/Dark Mage are all good talents to start Corrin in.

Edited by Ginkgo

Quick question Ginkgo, why do you think Sakura is only okay? I turned her into a Dark Flier and she wrecks absolutely everything; you get so many other healers anyway, and already have Felicia when she joins. I know I needed that extra magic damage, and she's been more reliable than Camilla so far on Lunatic.

Dark Flier is a flying DLC/Bonus class, anyone with a non-zero magic growth is going to be good at it. Did you make sure you reclassed Camilla to Lord so she isn't hampered by her crappy tomes too?

Edited by Ginkgo

Dark Flier is a DLC/Bonus class, anyone with a non-zero magic growth is going to be good at it.

Yeah, but anyone with Revelation can obtain one. Besides, even when I don't use it on Sakura, she's always an incredibly reliable unit. What makes her less useful for you?

Elise and Jakob are just better.

I mean, she's alright by all means, I'm not saying she's bad, I just think of the three staff users you get, she's the least useful.

Edited by Ginkgo

I must ask as well Ginko, what makes Elise so good, and what makes Sakura only ok?

Because, in my opinion, Elise is the worst of the royal children in Revelations, as there's little reason to use her.

Yes, she's got great magic, but she's incredibly fragile. Sakura is a better healer, simply because she can take a hit. Not only that but Sakura joins much earlier and can be a physical attacker as well.

It's not that Elise is bad, she's not, but rather, there are other units that can do her job better than her. For example, Felicia makes a better Strategist, even Fem!Corrin Felicia is a better Strategist.

Edited by Water Mage

I must ask as well Ginko, what makes Elise so good, and what makes Sakura only ok?

Because, in my opinion, Elise is the worst of the royal children in Revelations, as there's little reason to use her.

Yes, she's got great magic, but she's incredibly fragile. Sakura is a better healer, simply because she can take a hit. Not only that but Sakura joins much earlier and can be a physical attacker as well.

It's not that Elise is bad, she's not, but rather, there are other units that can do her job better than her. For example, Felicia makes a better Strategist, even Fem!Corrin Felicia is a better Strategist.

Pony.

Magic knight is also not bad on her, fixes her def stat for real combat unit status and doesn't require DLC to bird.

Inspiration birds are nice.

Edited by joshcja

Elise and Jakob are just better.

I mean, she's alright by all means, I'm not saying she's bad, I just think of the three staff users you get, she's the least useful.

"Just better" how? And why does that make Sakura worse than the other royals?

Elise is a better strategist than Sakura is, she's mounted by default, and has a more powerful personal.

I mean really though, she's okay, use Sakura if you want, she won't fail you. I just personally think she's the weakest of the three early staff users, sheesh.

Edited by Ginkgo

She's a better strategist than Sakura is, she's mounted by default, and has a more powerful personal.

The fact that Elise is mounted by default matters little, because Sakura can A+ Elise and become a mounted healer as well. Sakura can also reclass to Falcoknight and become even more mobile than Elise.

The fact that Elise is mounted by default matters little, because Sakura can A+ Elise and become a mounted healer as well. Sakura can also reclass to Falcoknight and become even more mobile than Elise.

Yup, 10 maps into the game Sakura can kinda imitate Elise. Also seriously, Elise can fly, and is good at it.

Edited by joshcja

Yup, 10 maps into the game Sakura can kinda imitate Elise. Also seriously, Elise can fly, and is good at it.

Now I'm confused; can't Sakura do that too? Or is Elise riding a bloody magical horse that flies via telepathy?

Sure Elise can fly, but she still cannot take a hit and she can't be a flying healer unless she marries a Sky Knight Corrin.

However I will admit that making Sakura a mounted healer is a lot of work and may not be worth it in the long run.

Edited by Water Mage

Nah Magic knight's inherent bases/growths patch Elise up good. Her always orkoed status comes as much from the troub tree as it does from her personal growths.

She's still fragile, but she can Ep one hit without fear.

Edited by joshcja

Nah Magic knight's inherent bases/growths patch Elise up good. Her always orkoed status comes as much from the troub tree as it does from her personal growths.

She's still fragile, but she can Ep one hit without fear.

Which Magic Knight class are you refering to?

Malig Knight has only a 10% Def growth, which, alongside Elise's 15% Def growth, gives Elise a 35% Def growth, does it really fix her bad base Def?

Edited by Water Mage

Which Magic Knight class are you refering to?

Malig Knight has only a 10% Def growth, which, alongside Elise's 15% Def growth, gives Elise a 35% Def growth, does it really fix her bad base Def?

It's more the instant +7 def +2 hp. 35% just keeps her out of orko ranges and lets her dip back into troub for a late game inspiration/demosel/lily frontline magebird.

Silly casual as fuck build but it works and makes her into a capable combat unit. Also bolt axe off a real mag stat is destruction.

Edited by joshcja

I don't get why you think Sakura is worse then Elise in Rev.

Sakura joins in chapter 8 at level 4 while Elise joins in chapter 14 at level 7. Sakura could easily be promoted at that time and unlike Elise, can take a hit. The only thing Elise has over Sakura in Rev is Mov and even then, Sakura can become a Falcon Knight.