For someone who valued Awakening for its support system, is it worth getting Conquest first?

One of my favourite things about Awakening was the support system. Out of Birthright and Conquest, I'm more interested in trying Conquest because of the difficulty, more varied objectives and story. However, I've also seen Birthright described as far more centred on the support system, because of its grinding and its smaller difficulty allowing more freedom in who you pair. I don't care if the support system's better in Birthright (I'll be getting both eventually) but I'm hoping it's at least still a central part of the game in Conquest, as some reviews indicate Conquest is far more gameplay-focused. Basically, are the support system and story still a significant part of Conquest, or do they take a massive backseat to the strategy part of the game?

TLDR: No somebody lied to you or just likes grinding way too much

Supports matter just as much in maingame Conquest as they do in Birthright, possible more so as the additional boosts in guard stance and potential kids just matter more/matter at all.

The story on all 3 games is way better if you just ignore it though.

Edited by joshcja

Conquest does have better maps, but without grinding it makes getting supports harder. The DLC makes it possible to get the supports but it does take awhile and it means playing the same map until you have the support level you need. The supports are still a big part of the game and strategy of beating some of the more difficult maps you just have to plan them out more then in Birthright.

You can grind for Supports by doing my castle battles in conquest so it is not really that much harder to get supports as long as you have an Internet connection.

Edited by Locke087

You can grind for Supports by doing my castle battles in conquest so it is not really that much harder to get supports as long as you have an Internet connection.

I abused this so much.

Because of the lack of conventional grinding outside of DLC, it's hard to use certain characters or to even build a full team sometimes (Endgame allows 16, some chapters allowed like 12). The paralogues allow chances to grind or build other units that would normally fall behind. And since your units don't actually die in MC battles, you can grind supports for really weak units with no danger.

TLDR: No somebody lied to you or just likes grinding way too much

Supports matter just as much in maingame Conquest as they do in Birthright, possible more so as the additional boosts in guard stance and potential kids just matter more/matter at all.

The story on all 3 games is way better if you just ignore it though.

What do you mean about supports affecting the story of the game? If anything, the aupport system is just a complement for added value on gameplay, but contributes basically nothing to story (besides minor changes).

@OP, supports are pretty easy even in Conquest, be it by doing the main story straight forward or abusing Boo Camp DLC or doing My Castle battles. The bonuses on Pair Up and such are good, and Dual Attacks are much more effective.