Best Way To Play Fire Emblem in NA

CybrGamr

I would like to actually start at the beginning and play all the Fire Emblem games in order - I am in the US. I believe the titles include:

Fire Emblem (GBA)

Sacred Stones (GBA)

Path of Radiance (GC)

Radiant Dawn (Wii)

Shadow Dragon (DS)

Awakenings (3DS)

Fates (3DS)

Did I miss any? Do they tell a continuous story and should they be played in order? I have the game carts for all the handheld games, what would be the best way to play the Gamecube and Wii games? Virtual console? Emulator?

Thanks!!!

Edited by CybrGamr

If you really want to start at the very beginning and play in chronological order, you're missing quite a few. 6 Fire Emblem games were released in Japan before the GBA title known only as "Fire Emblem" in the west (that game is actually FE7 and has the subtitle "Rekka no Ken" in Japanese), and another Japan-only game (New Mystery of the Emblem, FE12) comes in between Shadow Dragon and Awakening. If you want to play these Japan-only games, you can certainly do so via emulator. There have been translation patches made for all of them of varying quality, and we even have a list of them all with links to download right here, but you will have to locate ROMs and emulators on your own if you choose to follow that path.

Only a few games follow a continuous story line. FE3 (Mystery of the Emblem) is a sequel to FE1 (Dark Dragon and Sword of Light), just like FE12 (a remake of FE3) is a sequel to FE11 (Shadow Dragon, which is a remake of FE1). FE5 (Thracia 776) takes place during the events of FE4 (Genealogy of the Holy Wars). FE7 is actually a prequel to FE6 (Binding Blade). FE10 (Radiant Dawn) is a direct sequel to FE9 (Path of Radiance). FE13 (Awakening) takes cues from a bunch of earlier games but is mostly a standalone.

FE9 and FE10 are pretty expensive to buy in the after-market now since they've been out of print for a while and had relatively low print runs to begin with. It's possible they'll get a VC release at some point, but definitely uncertain. Playing the games via emulator is certainly an option, but just like the Japan-only games, you'll have to find ROMs/emulators on your own. The "best" option really depends on how much money you're willing to spend and/or your own morality regarding emulating.

Edited by Kirie

Personally, I think that Fire Emblem 7 (Rekka no Ken/Blazing Sword) is the best place to start. While it's a prequel to 6 (Roy's game, Binding Blade), it stands well on its own. It's simpler than later games in the series - and even some earlier games - as it lacks elements such as skills and class changing, but it's one of my favorite entries in the series, and I think both the story and gameplay are pretty solid. Opinions vary quite a bit, though. It's also one of the easier games in the series, and has an extended tutorial story that's mandatory your first time through, which won't seem like a chore if it's your first Fire Emblem.

...Looking back at your post I guess you weren't asking for suggestions on which to play first but that was the first one released in English so I guess my recommendation still works. You can buy it on the virtual console, too.

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are really the only English entries you need to play in order, I think. But, as Kirie said, they're pretty expensive these days. Hopefully there will be a virtual console release sometime, but maybe you'll get lucky and find them at a decent price used.

you can also get some of japan only games on a reproduction cart which uses translation patches but these can vary in price.

i'd probably either start with 7,8 or awakening as they're the most accessible to newcomers.