Why doesn't American TV broadcast episodes in order?

IceBrand

why would anyone broadcast episodes of a series in order unless it makes sense to put it in order

airing random episodes makes for a better viewing schedule than always knowing what comes next. It's always fun when Band Geeks randomly comes on, but it wouldn't be as interesting if it was in sequential order.

i assumed he meant tv shows that follow a sequential storyline as opposed to cartoons or skit shows where it's irrelevant

but he said spongebob in which case it's a cartoon so i don't think it matters

Edited by Tryhard

Like with Nick they will just air out random episodes of Spongebob to just fill in time. I heard this isn't a problem in other countries.

Well if its a show of that caliber, sequentially releasing a kids show (like Spongebob) with little to almost no story would be better off if it wasn't released in order (IMO).

A show like Walking Dead would do so, or Breaking Bad, (or any other hit show) because it has a story in which it would make sense to be released in subsequent order.

I dunno, I remember they always showed random episodes of How I Met Your Mother but only from like the same 2 seasons.

it made catching up pretty impossible when there were whole seasons not getting real reruns.

In terms of new shows, they're always shown in order. One from last week, one the next week.

You seem to be talking about re-runs, though. If there's supposed to be a sequence between the episodes (part 1, part 2, etc.), they'll keep them in order. Otherwise, it's mostly just time-filler.

In terms of new shows, they're always shown in order. One from last week, one the next week.

You seem to be talking about re-runs, though. If there's supposed to be a sequence between the episodes (part 1, part 2, etc.), they'll keep them in order. Otherwise, it's mostly just time-filler.

Basically, this. Cartoons and sitcoms and the like don't have any real overarching plot or sequential order.