Why does this happen

Nightfang1994

I am trying to go directly to branch of fates now that I have conquest and Revelations. But everytime I do it, it automatically makes the difficulty easy and casual even though I have not played on easy. Why? Do I really have to play through the entire tutorial every time I want to start a new game and play it on a somewhat challenging difficulty?

yes you have to start over from the beginning if you want to play it in a higher difficulty. It's mostly because even in the tutorial levels, there are different number of enemies and placements in different difficulty levels. Therefore, your levels and stat gains would vary more differently from playing normal, hard or lunatic.

I think a lot of these replies are missing the point. He said he had not played it on easy/casual difficulty before. It should be starting you off on whatever difficulty you last played the tutorial chapters on. That being said, the only explanation I can think of is that you forgot about playing it or that maybe you let someone else play or something.