Playing The Phoenix Wright Games Knowing Spoilers?

CooledEvergreen

I played Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies a while back and I absolutely loved it and was quite interested in getting the remastered trilogy on the E-Shop. However, a good few years back, I exposed myself to quite a bit of spoilers to the story. This was a long while back but I still remember a few things. Could I still play these games even knowing these spoilers?

[spoiler=Contains Spoilers For the Phoenix Wright Games]I know the story of the first two cases in Justice For All

I remember a scene involving Godot, him bleeding from the face and an "infinite penalty"

I remember a picture of one of the bad endings of Phoenix wearing a jacket in a black and white photo

I remember a little bit of the case involving teenage Phoenix and his iirc evil girlfriend

There was a scene of Phoenix as a child and being accused of taking something from another child

Arguable the biggest one, the last case in the first game where the prosecutor head bangs while being guilty while Edgeworth is innocent

I remember seeing a few witness breakdowns, including a sleeping old man, a burly guy with hair like Phoenix's, a kid with a katana, a woman with a heart accessory and pink hair, a guy with hair like a shark and the prosecutor woman with the whip.

I'd say they're still very enjoyable. Only the biggest plot twists might ruin the game for you. I spoiled Dual Destinies for myself and found myself unable to enjoy the game just because of how much I'd spoiled myself.

I'd say they're still worth it to play.

btw, the guy with Phoenix's hair breaking down, he's obviously the killer in that case even before he shows up

I'd play through them. Not only are several of your spoilers not very important, but you're also mistaken or have misremembered certain things. Even if that weren't the case, the games have excellent writing and are incredibly entertaining to play through if you like murder mysteries and do a bit of thinking. The first and third game in particular blow Dual Destinies out of the water.

Make us proud and point that finger towards justice!

I actually dislike the fifth game. It seemed very bad to me.

do you ever make constructive posts

As for games, I'd recommend Justice for All. You don't know the big spoiler and it has the best case in the series imo.

do you ever make constructive posts

As for games, I'd recommend Justice for All. You don't know the big spoiler and it has the best case in the series imo.

Time for some badly worded constructive points on the series:

One of the issues that I have with Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney & Dual Destinies kinda relates to Phoenix actually. Don't get me wrong, I love Phoenix in the original trilogy.... But in Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies he kinda feels shoehorned in, especially in Apollo Justice. I felt like his story was over after Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations, and the only reason he's in Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies is due to Fanservice.

But I felt that this led to other issues. In Apollo Justice, for example, the title character wasn't as developed as he should have been because Phoenix practically stole the plot from him. I admit, it was slightly better in Dual Destinies- they did give Athena and Apollo the screen time they deserved, and Phoenix admittedly did not entirely steal the plot from the rest of the cast. However, some of the plot points from Apollo Justice still haven't been resolved, and I don't think that they will be for as long as Phoenix is the main character. Not only that, I still think that the Capcom writers are overusing the guy and it's getting to the point where I am actively starting to hate Phoenix because as a playable character he feels really dull now.

Literally, Capcom could make a game just starring Apollo and Athena solving cases without Phoenix and I would actually be happy. Give them a chance to develop as characters. Let Phoenix be a Lawyer somewhere else.

Anyways- In a nutshell: Phoenix's story felt finished after the third game, and the Capcom writers are beating a dead horse every time they include him as a main character. They should just let him do Lawyer things off screen and let some of the other characters be developed more.

P.S. When it comes to Ace Attorney 6- I'm torn. I will probably explain why later, but I don't have the time to do so now.

Time for some badly worded constructive points on the series:

One of the issues that I have with Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney & Dual Destinies kinda relates to Phoenix actually. Don't get me wrong, I love Phoenix in the original trilogy.... But in Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies he kinda feels shoehorned in, especially in Apollo Justice. I felt like his story was over after Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations, and the only reason he's in Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies is due to Fanservice.

But I felt that this led to other issues. In Apollo Justice, for example, the title character wasn't as developed as he should have been because Phoenix practically stole the plot from him. I admit, it was slightly better in Dual Destinies- they did give Athena and Apollo the screen time they deserved, and Phoenix admittedly did not entirely steal the plot from the rest of the cast. However, some of the plot points from Apollo Justice still haven't been resolved, and I don't think that they will be for as long as Phoenix is the main character. Not only that, I still think that the Capcom writers are overusing the guy and it's getting to the point where I am actively starting to hate Phoenix because as a playable character he feels really dull now.

Literally, Capcom could make a game just starring Apollo and Athena solving cases without Phoenix and I would actually be happy. Give them a chance to develop as characters. Let Phoenix be a Lawyer somewhere else.

Anyways- In a nutshell: Phoenix's story felt finished after the third game, and the Capcom writers are beating a dead horse every time they include him as a main character. They should just let him do Lawyer things off screen and let some of the other characters be developed more.

P.S. When it comes to Ace Attorney 6- I'm torn. I will probably explain why later, but I don't have the time to do so now.

To an extent, I agree. However, saying it was bad just because Knight said T&T was too long is just reactionary and not even a constructive post. Funnily, I see a lot of these from that user on the Ftes board where their posts are generally spam.

To an extent, I agree. However, saying it was bad just because Knight said T&T was too long is just reactionary and not even a constructive post. Funnily, I see a lot of these from that user on the Ftes board where their posts are generally spam.

Actually, it wasn't even because of him saying that T&T was too long. I didn't even notice that post actually. The only reason I posted was because Ms. Bunch wanted some constructive criticism, and so I decided to try and offer my 2 cents on the issue. I apologise if it seemed reactionary, and if it wasn't constructive at all.

I haven't even played Ace Attorney 4 or 5 yet, so I was just commenting on 3 in comparison to 1 and 2. Ace Attorney 1 is my favourite, though I don't really think any of the three are bad games. Maybe part of the reason I didn't like Ace Attorney 3 was because I really didn't like Hawthorne, and since she had more focus than any previous Ace Attorney villain throughout the story, that really didn't make the thing that enjoyable.

Edited by Knight

I want to play Ace Attorney x Professor Layton, even though I'm admittedly bad at both series of games. How do you guys rate it in terms of all PW games, including AJ and EI?

IMO, I think it's the weakest game in the Ace Attorney series for multiple reasons (e.g. The ending of the game is kinda weak compared to the rest of the game, some of the characters aren't that memorable, and there are a few other things.) I'm not saying that it's a bad game (some of the writing in the game is absolutely amazing) but I just think that the main series and Ace Attorney Investigations I and II are better games.

IMO, I think it's the weakest game in the Ace Attorney series for multiple reasons (e.g. The ending of the game is kinda weak compared to the rest of the game, some of the characters aren't that memorable, and there are a few other things.) I'm not saying that it's a bad game (some of the writing in the game is absolutely amazing) but I just think that the main series and Ace Attorney Investigations I and II are better games.

I'll agree with this; that installment definitely has some high highs and low lows, the ending being particularly bad. However, I never found the Investigation spin-offs particularly interesting. This is, of course, a very subjective thing, but I found them lacking any tension, and since it's Yamazaki who wrote it, the cast is bloated and far more quirky than in Shu Takumi's games.

Also, dramatic banadages. That man loves dramatic bandages.

I'll agree with this; that installment definitely has some high highs and low lows, the ending being particularly bad. However, I never found the Investigation spin-offs particularly interesting. This is, of course, a very subjective thing, but I found them lacking any tension, and since it's Yamazaki who wrote it, the cast is bloated and far more quirky than in Shu Takumi's games.

Yeah, Ace Attorney vs Professor Layton has really low lows, but also amazing highs (I'd say the aftermath of the second witch trial is the best bit in the entire game). The writing WAS amazing for that bit. :)

I would agree with you to an extent with the Investigations series. I consider Ace Attorney Investigations to be the third weakest game in the series (with Dual Destinies being the second weakest), due to Turnabout Ablaze dragging on for a ridiculous amount of time (I'd say it's the weakest final case in the entire series, basically because THE MURDERER DOES NOT KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP, but the concept was good) though I did like the other cases in Ace Attorney Investigations. On the other hand, I haven't played it, but I've watched sections of Ace Attorney Investigations 2- and man, if I could play it, it would easily be my favourite game in the entire series. The cases sound interesting, the main villain is brilliant, and the supporting cast sound really cool. :) Plus, you can play as Gregory Edgeworth, which is always a good thing. :) But again, it's a subjective opinion.

Also- am I allowed to be that one person who likes both Shu Takumi and Yamakazi's writing? :)

K-Idle4.gif

Yeah, Ace Attorney vs Professor Layton has really low lows, but also amazing highs (I'd say the aftermath of the second witch trial is the best bit in the entire game). The writing WAS amazing for that bit. :)

I would agree with you to an extent with the Investigations series. I consider Ace Attorney Investigations to be the third weakest game in the series (with Dual Destinies being the second weakest), due to Turnabout Ablaze dragging on for a ridiculous amount of time (I'd say it's the weakest final case in the entire series, basically because THE MURDERER DOES NOT KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP, but the concept was good) though I did like the other cases in Ace Attorney Investigations. On the other hand, I haven't played it, but I've watched sections of Ace Attorney Investigations 2- and man, if I could play it, it would easily be my favourite game in the entire series. The cases sound interesting, the main villain is brilliant, and the supporting cast sound really cool. :) Plus, you can play as Gregory Edgeworth, which is always a good thing. :) But again, it's a subjective opinion.

Also- am I allowed to be that one person who likes both Shu Takumi and Yamakazi's writing? :)

Turnabout Ablaze does have all those problems you mentioned, yes. The final boss of Investigations 2 also has the problem of not knowing when to give up, but he's not as annoying, a lot more interesting, and a lot easier. It's easily one of my all time favorite video games. I rank it as one of my Elite Four favorites.

Blasphemy, you can't enjoy two different authors!

Fair enough, but to me, Ace Attorney Investigations II - at least judging by the walkthrough, I haven't played it myself - was dull. Like, really, really dull. Yamazaki has a tendency to hype something up too much and not really deliver, not to mention his problems with bloating the cast. Seriously, how many people are there to watch Edgeworth take down the final villain, and how much do they contribute? They essentially just stand there and cheer, which is very awkward.

Also, I never liked the final villain. They were way too similar to the Phantom, who I consider the most boring final villain in the series.

Again, I'm not trying to change anyone's opinions here, just stating mine.

I actually dislike the fifth game. It seemed very bad to me.

The only AA that I absolutely didn't like was AJ, so far nothing has beaten that damn third case that just drags on. For me, even DD is ok even though only the first and third cases are good, the second is crap and the fourth and fifth are meh and don't live up to the climax.

Fair enough, but to me, Ace Attorney Investigations II - at least judging by the walkthrough, I haven't played it myself - was dull. Like, really, really dull. Yamazaki has a tendency to hype something up too much and not really deliver, not to mention his problems with bloating the cast. Seriously, how many people are there to watch Edgeworth take down the final villain, and how much do they contribute? They essentially just stand there and cheer, which is very awkward.

Also, I never liked the final villain. They were way too similar to the Phantom, who I consider the most boring final villain in the series.

I agree, even though I liked AA2 (I only disliked the other half of case 5). I don't see why there were so many people on some scenes, and Edgeworth's rivals are just... awkward. What's the point of Debeste? And why the hell is a judge helping a prosecutor investigate (actually, she's the one doing the job, but not formally) a case? It also had a boring final villain...

I always thought it was Blaise Debeste. That is, before the end of case 4. I think he had all chances to be a good final villain like some sort of mix between von Karma and Quercus Alba

Edited by Rapier